Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

QR Fit
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm a newbie,can someone please help me out here; I've done a year of tri's on a mountain bike, and it's time to move on. My buddy is selling his '98 QR Kilo Private Reserve, (79 degrees) it is a yellow beauty w/ a carbon gusset, Hed Jet wheels a la 650c. It has road bars/STI & Profile Carbon Strike aero bars. Now, I'm 5'11" 165, I believe I'd need a 56 road bike. But this bike is a 59, the top tube is 56 & it feels pretty good, albeit aggressive aero but comfortable. Is this the right bike for me? I know the tri set up is supposed to have a shorter T.T. is this one too big?

Thanks,

Flyboy
Quote Reply
cant tell just from the description [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
since it is impossible to fit accurately without seeing pictures, it will be impossible for anyone here to tell if it fits or not. That said, i'd probably guess that the top tube is too long for someone your height, and something more along the lines of a 54cm top tube would be closer.

read the fit articles on this site... they should help you determine if the bike fits decently or not.

wilson
Quote Reply
Re: QR Fit [Flyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
take the bike to a local bike shop and see want they think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought a QR Caliente. I'm 6-0, and was fitted to a 55. I agree with others that this 59 will *probably* be big for you, to the point of losing the better balance afforded in forward geometry frames. A fitting with someone knowledgeable will tell the tale.
Quote Reply
Go to your LBS for fit [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I kinda have to disagree with the previous posts. In my experience QR's run a little small as far as size goes. I'm 5'9" on good days and I ride a 700c, 57c, kilo just fine. If it's your friends bike, ask him if he'll let you take it on a fifteen-thirty mile ride. See how it feels then. Don't freak out over being a little more aggressive aerodynamically, you'll get used to it as you addapt with your muscles.

-

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'0" with a long torso and short legs. I have an '01 QR Tequilo 57cm. But, take your buddy's 59cm to a bike shop. Maybe they can make it work for you. I'd make sure its a bike shop that sells tribikes and does pretty sophisticated fittings. Be prepared to pay them for the service.
Quote Reply
Re: Go to your LBS for fit [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my onlly problem with "taking it for a ride" is he probably doenst know how it is supposed to feel.

btw, unless you have a pretty long torso, i'm really curious as to how you fit on a 57cm kilo (not a personal attack here, just curiosity). I'm 5'8" and i ride a Felt S22 witha 52cm top tube, and I run it with a 9cm stem. A 57 kilo has a 55 top tube, so are you all stretched out on the bike? is your fit similar to FIST? if you have a picture, i'd be interested to see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for what it's worth. i am 5'10" (most days) and was fitted to a 53 2001 Tequilo.

sounds a bit long in the tooth for you...
Quote Reply
I don't have a camera [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I currently lack a digital camera and haven't had anyone take my picture (though I intend to have that done someday.) But yes, I am a little stretched out, I ride more comfortably and seemingly more aero for longer periods of time. Also though, My QR's top tube measures 55.5c's from the center of head tube, to center of seat tube, so it probably corasponds to maybe a 54c Felt. Just a few random thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Go to your LBS for fit [wilson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re: my 57cm QR possibly being wrong size for my 6'0 frame

I have about a 30" inseam. I think normal humans that are 6' tall have 32 or 33" maybe. This leaves me with a long torso. I also have a 55cm Lemond that I'm pretty happy with. I'm approaching Mr. PotatoHead proportions. I was fitted out at Gear West in MPLS by Jono, who is an IM MOO vet. He took a picture as I was in aero and my arms were 90 degrees at the elbow and shoulder and my back was pretty level with the ground (as I recall... I don't have the picture in front of me). I've done 2 1/2 IMs with it so far and I have no complaints.
Quote Reply
Re: Go to your LBS for fit [pat mcnamara] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oops... I don't think Wilson was talking to me, but the 5'7" guy with the 57cm.
Quote Reply
Re: Go to your LBS for fit [pat mcnamara] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry, you must have misunderstood. my question of the 57cm QR was directed towards Za gopha who is 5'9" on a 57cm kilo, not you who is 6' on a 57cm kilo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

With 650c, 79 degrees, road bars & aero bars not tri bars it's tough to get a good idea what I should do. Dan wrote something here about mixing tri bikes with road bars and vice versa, he doesn't like it at all. Is this a mutant bike or what? I checked out a few methods for sizing ( De La Rosa, Van der Plas) and I've read Dan's article about positioning (my inseam is 34"). The feeling I receive when riding the bike feels good, but odd because I'm a mountain biker. Having the stem below and behind you (almost) is new to me. I dunno, I guess at some point the number crunching gets to be too much. I know people that have had positioning done and hate the new set up. It's harder to unlearn, and even harder to feel comfortable even if it does knock off a few seconds. It really can be a pain in the butt or worse... Well in any case I do appreciate the help. Plus having a bike with all those IM stickers on it is highly motivating!

Thanks & ride like hell!
Quote Reply