Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

QR Caliente
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a review on the Quintana Roo Caliente
Quote Reply
Re: QR Caliente [BIke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I built up a Caliente two weeks ago. I managed to find just the frame and fork on ebay for a great price, thus allowing me to customize the bike to my liking. This is my first tri bike, so I can't give you comparisons to other tri bikes. However, here's my experience so far:

I have a very hilly 32 mile personal time trial that I do a couple times a week on my road bike (a 2002 Ciocc with many, many miles, but a decent bike nonetheless). Riding the Caliente for the first time, I cut two minutes off my best time on this course, three more minutes the second time. I expected to feel horrible on climbs, but I didn't. I felt as good or better than I do on my road bike. I find the ride to be extremely comfortable. Once my lower anatomy gets more used to the forward position, I fully expect that centuries will be quite enjoyable and comfortable. The bike is pretty light, handles well, and is fairly stiff (although I only weigh around 158lbs.).

My only gripe, and this is may not as much to do with the bike as Velomax, is that I can't use a 12/25 cassette on my new Velomax wheels because the chain rubs on the inside of the bottom of the seat stay. QR says it's the wheel (and it may be - I put my Rolf's with a 12/25 on the QR and have no problems), Velomax says doesn't offer any solution other than to use an 11/23 cassette (a low-rent solution to a rather annoying problem. Regretfully, I won't buy or recommend Velomax again, even though I love their wheels.). This problem may be specific only to Velomax wheels and this frame, but check out your wheel/cassette/frame combo (if you decide to upgrade your wheels) before plunking down some cash.
Last edited by: jhendric: Aug 18, 03 4:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a Caliente off the floor at Inside-Out Sports. Mike Beaman spent a long time fitting me, and I also tested two other bikes before buying the QR. I have yet to race it, but I'm pleased with the bike. My road frame is a Litespeed Tuscany, and I think the Caliente actually has a smoother ride, maybe due to the carbon seatstays. Given the poor quality chipseal applied in my area last year, that's a good thing. It "seems" faster than the M4 + forward seat post I was riding before, but who knows.

One concern I had about going to a tri frame was that the lower top tube would feel odd, as though the bike were too small. I realized on the test ride that my knees come inward to an aero position much more readily and easily with the top tube out of the way. An unexpected bonus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought one from All3Sports in Atlanta (also see www.all3sports.com) I really like it so far. It is my first tri bike so I only have road bikes to compare it to. On training rides I am 1.5-2.5 mph (ave) faster with a lower ave HR. I am still getting used to the position. I seem to use slightly different muscles in my legs, and my back has been getting fatigued. I figure that will all be better with more miles. I have done 2 bricks and running off the bike has been easier than running off a road bike (Ultimate). I chose this bike for the following reasons. I wanted a Cervelo P2k but they seem to be hard to get right now. There were some P3s but they were out of my budget. I was also looking at a Guru but the price was slightly out of my range for the Chron-alu(?). The Caliente had all the features I wanted in an attractive price. I also like the free wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at the review in 220 Triathlon, www.220magazine.com they really like it.

I bought one two months ago, and think it's great - see my reply to TriMike today.
Quote Reply