Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
QR... er... Jaguar commercial
Quote | Reply
in the middle of a big thread on the cervelo commercial, i was building a couple of bikes in my living room and this showed up on my TV. maybe this is old news. sorry of it's so.

here's the 30sec spot, i can't find it on you tube so can't display it in-line.

https://ispot.tv/a/oSwz

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Sep 14, 19 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: QR... er... Jaguar commercial [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His seat is too high. /pink
Quote Reply
Re: QR... er... Jaguar commercial [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His seat may be fine, but he does need a fit it appears... (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This came on a few times when I was watching the US Open. Not that anything is wrong with the triathlete they used but I am pretty curious why the elected to just take some random guy with a mediocre fit rather than pay someone who is at least a little known. And then they also filmed somewhere cold from what I read on that guys Instagram but they could have made him look a lot sleeker not wearing gloves and a baggy jacket.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: QR... er... Jaguar commercial [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
This came on a few times when I was watching the US Open. Not that anything is wrong with the triathlete they used but I am pretty curious why the elected to just take some random guy with a mediocre fit rather than pay someone who is at least a little known. And then they also filmed somewhere cold from what I read on that guys Instagram but they could have made him look a lot sleeker not wearing gloves and a baggy jacket.

while all that may be true, i'm just glad that they used a triathlete, which a lot of companies use in their commercials. you don't see commercials with guys putting their badminton rackets in the back of the car, or their archery bows, or even so much other kinds of bikes. for some reason triathletes are more desirable in commercials than just regular swimmers or cyclists.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:

You mean some random triathlete vs another random triathlete triathletes know?
Quote Reply
Re: QR... er... Jaguar commercial [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair point, but I'm not expecting a Jan Frodeno or AB (though the Brownlees might be a good pick) but some 2nd tier pro with some name recognition so they could at least say "Professional triathlete and 3 time Ironman champion or something". Just saying "triathlete" is pretty uninspiring. Despite what Cervelo may want us to think, the word triathlete isn't all that awe inspiring on its own.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone else in the commercial seems to be just a "regular" person, I think that's probably what they were going for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:

I’m going to guess the other 99.9% of the population that’s purchasing a car doesn’t know the difference and it also doesn’t matter. The person riding the bike isn’t going to sell the car. Just like the artist they used. If they picked a DJ people have heard about would that help? Probably not.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
for some reason triathletes are more desirable in commercials than just regular swimmers or cyclists.

Don't we assume it's because the average triathlete makes more $ than the average regular swimmer or cyclist?

My tri bike fits easily in the back of my Honda Civic hatchback. I do, however, have to take off the front wheel.
'
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Sep 14, 19 10:19
Quote Reply
Re: QR... er... Jaguar commercial [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. I'll cede the point. The version of this they showed during the US Open every other commercial was just the triathlete though. I guess with a company like Jaguar I expect them to show fancy people (an assumption they're probably trying to do away with here though I'm sure its still a fancy people price point) so I expected them to get someone a little more, exciting.

Quote Reply
Re: QR... er... Jaguar commercial [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Slowman wrote:
for some reason triathletes are more desirable in commercials than just regular swimmers or cyclists.

Don't we assume it's because the average triathlete makes more $ than the average regular swimmer or cyclist?

My tri bike fits easily in the back of my Honda Civic hatchback. I do, however, have to take off the front wheel.
'

I assumed it’s because triathlon, in spite of how much we rag on our own sport, remains a sexy, aspirational, activity for most people.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:

Ben, you gotta understand this stuff. Random guy=Free. Someone well known costs money.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Sep 14, 19 11:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two thoughts

1) that’ll counteract the “elitist” triathlon image! Nothing says “maverick” sport that will appeal to the youths like this!

2) a young pro photographer being able to afford a Jaguar is pure fantasy land, even more than the Cervelo ad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I see this:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...g=diversity#p6995544

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
I assumed it’s because triathlon, in spite of how much we rag on our own sport, remains a sexy, aspirational, activity for most people.

Agree that triathletes are sexy and inspiring, no matter (or in spite of) what they're driving or riding.

P.S. That's not a commentary on the QR in the ad.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Sep 14, 19 14:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the word triathlete isn't all that awe inspiring on its own.
--------------------------
It is to non-triathletes which is by FAR the largest share of the audience. And, hate to burst your bubble, but to that same target audience there probably isn't ANY triathlete that would measure any noticeable percentage of recognition in the target audience. However, to Dan's point, it is at least cool that marketers (who have probably tested) think that for a perceived high end product a "triathlete" apparently helps that image and message.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Sep 14, 19 15:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
realbdeal wrote:

while all that may be true, i'm just glad that they used a triathlete, which a lot of companies use in their commercials. you don't see commercials with guys putting their badminton rackets in the back of the car, or their archery bows, or even so much other kinds of bikes. for some reason triathletes are more desirable in commercials than just regular swimmers or cyclists.

Toyota:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lnyJyXmpYvE

GMC:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ay3R5WHWiYA

Pretty sure both were in the Superbowl last year. At least a version of the Toyota one was once.

Regular bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, it's no E-Type. (My favorite road going phallic symbol)
How about the Zwift commercial that only mentions Geraint Thomas, yet starts with Rahsan Bahati?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the idea is:

- regular triathlete guy buys the Jaguar because it's useful for him and fits his lifestyle,

rather than

- pro triathlete is sponsored by Jaguar
Quote Reply
Re: QR... er... Jaguar commercial [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
realbdeal wrote:

Ben, you gotta understand this stuff. Random guy=Free. Someone well known costs money.

For whatever reason, art directors/production teams prefer to hire actors from a modeling agency over a athletes unless it's a sponsored athlete like Jan or Aaron Rogers.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: QR... er... Jaguar commercial [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or, guy rich enough to own a jaguar SUV has enough income and time to take up cycling/triathlon as a hobby.
Quote Reply
Re: QR... er... Jaguar commercial [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
I think the idea is:

- regular triathlete guy buys the Jaguar because it's useful for him and fits his lifestyle,

rather than

- pro triathlete is sponsored by Jaguar

And more importantly, the SUV has "carbon fiber trim"!! They knew their market. Too bad those wheels are ugly AF.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jaguars always bring to mind the line from a 1990 underappreciated Dudley Moore film "Crazy People" about lunatics writing copy for an ad agency - brutally honest copy: ""Jaguar — For men who'd like hand jobs from beautiful women they hardly know."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you get the "it's good to be bad" Jaguar ad in the US? Ben Kingsley, Mark Strong etc. It was something a bit different. The image of Jags in the UK is still a bit middle-aged-overweight senior manager. They are trying to shed this image though.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply

Prev Next