Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Push rim and Hand-cycle training
Quote | Reply
So I was watching a show on NBC today about Kona champions and Ironman history. They highlighted some stories of accomplished triathletes that ended up injured and performing in handicap capacities. Many didn’t make the time cutoffs in their hand-cycles and push rim wheelchairs the first few tries.

It got me thinking.. how do they train? Do they utilize rollers/trainers and training programs TrainerRoad-esq style? Or is all greenway people-dodging? I really am intrigued. Sure it was a program for the public, but I found it quite interesting.

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Re: Push rim and Hand-cycle training [tjones2k9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've know a couple of athletes who use both push rim and hand cycles.
They use a mixture of rollers and road training. When I was in London the guys would head to Richmond Park and do laps. They'd normally drive there first.
Quote Reply
Re: Push rim and Hand-cycle training [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Minda dentler (who finished kona as a hand cyclist) worked out at the studio I rode at occasionally.
For hand-cycle, she would put her hand cycle in a computrainer... just she would be behind the computrainer, instead of infront of it (since the deraileur is up front)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tjones2k9 wrote:

It got me thinking.. how do they train? Do they utilize rollers/trainers and training programs TrainerRoad-esq style?

Regarding handcycles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeZ88wqSWrs

I know several who train with power and follow a structured training plan just like able-bodied cyclists. Others train with virtual power and TrainerRoad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen a local woman para athlete going up Millcreek Canyon. Seems like she trains just like any other cyclist. Bad Ass!
Quote Reply