Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Punching a woman during a race?

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [NAB777] [ In reply to ]

I believe this is the photo of it happening:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/...0/Toughman+punch.jpg

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [guppie58] [ In reply to ]

Dang that is pretty bad! This guy will be burning at the ST stake pretty quick here I presume... and rightfully so!

Apparently, video footage also exists. Would love to see that.

It shouldn't take long for some of the sleuths around here to identify the guy.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

Sanuk wrote:
It shouldn't take long for some of the sleuths around here to identify the guy.

He's probably an STer. That would explain the anger.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [oceanlife] [ In reply to ]

Reading the comments I was quickly able to cipher his name.

Maybe he thought he was still in the swim.

Guy needs a nice long ban from USAT. I really don't care what she did. D-bag move no matter what.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Toby Tri] [ In reply to ]

What an asshat!

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [chuckhead] [ In reply to ]

I wonder if he wore fins in the swim?

Supposedly Blair Cullen was DQ'd from the race because of this, but his name is still showing in the results.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Bigringonly] [ In reply to ]

The whole thing bothers me all the way around from his actions and her ignorance that its an actual race.

The reverse stiff arm? That's what that pic looked like. Maybe he learned it from that Brazil 70.3 finish.

On your left?!

Entertaining thread on this at letsrun. http://www.letsrun.com/...d=5395096&page=0

He blazed in for a 1:39:09 run........guess he could not live with a 1:39:10 what a d-dag

If I worked for USAT this guy wouldn't race for a minimum of a year. Friggin asshole!

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [hullcb] [ In reply to ]

Pretty lame. He only ran a 1:39, so if not like he's cruising at a sub 6 pace
banging out a 1:15 or something.

Really short swim course. Really short... Like closer to a 1500m it looks like.

I assume a hilly bike course looking at splits.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com

This picture is confusing. Is it possible to punch backwards like that, in an underarm fashion? This looks like an aggressive move. From the picture it looks like he shouldered her from behind and her left arm went forward, and his right(ed). arm went backward.....from the rotation resulting from shoulders colliding.

Either way it looks like he ran into her from behind (which is either bratty, clumsy, or both). I'm not saying he didn't punch her, but this picture doesn't make it look like a punch.
Last edited by: Icculus: Sep 19, 13 20:20

guppie58 wrote:

I had to LOL at his powerbalance bracelet. Maybe it's to offset his douche chi.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Toby Tri] [ In reply to ]

Toby Tri wrote:
Entertaining thread on this at letsrun. http://www.letsrun.com/...d=5395096&page=0

Wow. That was all at once very, very painful and mildly amusing at times.

My triathlon training blog

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [hullcb] [ In reply to ]

It would be understandable if she was wearing a gorilla suit, but that is over the top.

http://www.researchms.org/trifest/

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]

TimeIsUp wrote:

Guy needs a nice long ban from USAT. I really don't care what she did. D-bag move no matter what.

I'm generally not one for law enforcement involvement in sports, but if I were her, I'd be pressing charges for battery, especially if there is video. Also, I would favor a 5 year ban from USAT. Simply no reason for that, I don't care if you're dueling neck and neck for Olympic gold, douchebag asshat behavior has no place.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |

guppie58 wrote:

The pic needs some music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLjLDCbrtsU

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Devlin] [ In reply to ]

Devlin wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

I'm generally not one for law enforcement involvement in sports, but if I were her, I'd be pressing charges for battery, especially if there is video. Also, I would favor a 5 year ban from USAT. Simply no reason for that, I don't care if you're dueling neck and neck for Olympic gold, douchebag asshat behavior has no place.

John

Well she responds in this thread:

[/url]
[/url]

[/url]http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/...=501034&posts=20

"Why are you suggesting she did? Here are her comments posted in the second linked blog:

I am "the woman" who was shoved by Blair Cullen. I am also the woman who remembers a great race with my friends Charles and Dan. I am also the woman that asked for nothing to happen to this man when both Toughman and USAT race organizers asked me for a statement this week not just based on these photos, but also based on several spectators that told them about the story (none of whom I knew).

After several emails and phone calls this week by both Toughman and USAT, I decided to take the high road and asked them to please let this go and not do anything. That doesn't mean I don't think he was wrong -- a bruise and scratch on the left side of my back were there to prove he was. I just see him exactly the way I see most egocentric individuals who view life through their singular lens of narcissism. Despite that, it doesn't mean I wanted him to suffer. I teach my kids that two wrongs don't make a right, and that forgiveness and compassion are much better choices than vindication and retribution. That is how I truly feel and I don't even drive a prius with an Obama sticker on it! I was simply aiming for maturity, empathy (even for ), and a desire to remember what, for me, was an incredibly fun and enjoyable race.

I intentionally asked both the Toughman committee and the USAT committee NOT to penalize him too severely. I told them that I was indeed in the wrong backing into the finishing lane having crossed the line to kiss my family and friends who drove up to see me, as well as get my watch from my husband who then took a photo. However we were nowhere near the finishing chute and indeed there were several feet around us with not a single other person in either lane. According to the Commissioner of the USAT and most of the normal people who compete in these races, stopping to high five a friend, kiss a family member or take a photo are par for the course. The normal people are what keep these races alive. It's also standard to use your voice (not your body) to someone in your way and say "get out of my way." Apparently this is the 3rd time in 27 years that a man has touched a woman's body in order to complete a triathlon race. Not surprisingly, the first two times (both of which were over 10 years ago) garnered sincere apologies from the runner admitting a poor decision "in the moment."

I told the committees this past week that I forgave his actions, choosing to believe that sometimes people make decisions in a harried moment. I believed that since a rewind button is not possible he must have, in his narcissistic goal to achieve some piece of hardware, simply made a mistake.

His unapologetic letter back to Toughman after learning he was disqualified only showed the USAT that his ego is more important that being human. I wasn't even looking for an apology but it would have been nice to receive one, Here is my apology: Blair (or "anonymous"), I am sorry I backpeddled into your lane as I kissed my family and got back into the race. I do these races for very different reasons than you do, and according the USAT, I am with the majority. I asked the USAT not to mandate what they will - and then they actually asked me why I had to be "so nice" and "so forgiving". I clearly moved on but this sadly won't go away. At the end of the day, one little word would have solved this problem.

She admits that she was walking backwards when they made contact. Maybe he gave her plenty of space, just did not expect her to walk backwards, had not time to react and they made contact. Or maybe he had plenty of time and is just an ass. It could be completely her fault, but we do not have enough info to make that conclusion either.

Prev Next