Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pumping a disc wheel - best tips & adaptors
Quote | Reply
My faithful crack pipe adaptor has finally given up on me. It was actually always quite a pain to use and difficult to pump the disc up on my own.
What do you use as a pump adaptor for your disc wheel? Are there any better ones out there than the standard brass crack pipe?
Anyone got any tips on how to pump a disc on your own?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping a disc wheel - best tips & adaptors [IMF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Lezyne Travel floor pump that has a screw-on type pump head. For my disc I just pop on the mini-adapter shown here:

In my experience, the functionality of any crack-pipe depends on the correct tightness of the o-ring that wraps around the valve when you press down on it. With this adapter you can adjust that by tightening or loosing the screw-in part that affixes it. My one complaint: The pump doesn't have any way to attach it somewhere to it when it is not in use, so I'm dreading the day I will lose it...

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Last edited by: flogazo: Oct 23, 18 2:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMF wrote:
My faithful crack pipe adaptor has finally given up on me. It was actually always quite a pain to use and difficult to pump the disc up on my own.
What do you use as a pump adaptor for your disc wheel? Are there any better ones out there than the standard brass crack pipe?
Thanks

Yes buy one of these and be done with it.

https://www.sigmasports.com/...Presta-Chuck-V2/BSVY

https://www.tririg.com/...Silca_Hiro_v2_Review
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Years ago I had my pump with me in a shop in Germany and the Owner saw the chuck on it, snipped it off and said this would be way better. I've been grateful ever since! Works a treat with my disc.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping a disc wheel - best tips & adaptors [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
£105 for a pump head WTF! I think that one above couldn't have been much more than €5.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping a disc wheel - best tips & adaptors [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
£105 for a pump head WTF! I think that one above couldn't have been much more than €5.

Yes but it actually solves a problem and pretty much lasts forever. I no longer have to use one hand to hold the crack pipe on the valve and one hand to pump. It locks on like any pump head, and will work with any existing pump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both the Silca HIRO V2 and the Silca mini chuck (crack pipe). I love them both and highly recommend them. I got the HIRO first, and it is the best for everyday life. I got the mini chuck because the cutout for my HED disc wheel was a bit tight, and I wanted to try the smaller chuck. It works well, but it is not as secure as the HIRO. (For example, when pumping my wheels before a race, when the bike had dew on it, the mini chuck would slip off.)

https://silca.cc/...locking-presta-chuck
https://silca.cc/...isc-wheel-mini-chuck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found and bought a KCNC fitting on e-bay for around $40 that locks onto the presta valve and fits into a disc hole. It's similar to the Silca but a lot less $$.

I put it on my Lezyne travel pump and combined the two make for a great pump that fits in my transition bag.. and I can pump up my disc by myself with zero issues.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...isc_P6514591/

Last edited by: xeon: Oct 23, 18 6:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the input....I will try to find a cheaper option that $105 if I can though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a fumpa pump for my disk.
Its usb charged and can fill 6 tires per charge.

It has a digital Guage and the attachment fits on my premier tactical with no extra piece.

I get to transition, and can pump it with one finger. At this point it basically lives in my transition bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Silca HIRO is $65 USD.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Oct 23, 18 6:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a Hirame adaptor years ago. It's been pretty flawless for me. I have a Zipp Sub-9 tubular disc and it works/ fits in there perfectly. The best part about it is that once you lock it down, you don't have to hold it while you pump it up.

https://www.tracksupermarket.com/...ent-seal-3-pack.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What disc do you have? Is the valve accessible from either side of the disc (i.e. Flo disc, zipp super 9, etc), or is the valve only accessible from one side (e.g. Renn).

If the valve is accessible from either side, I have to recommend the Lezyne ABS2 chuck head. It took some time for me to get fully used to the method of engagement (I can comment more on that if wanted), but it is an excellent disc head without the silly Silica price tag.

The ABS 2 works best when you can access the valve from both sides (you have to thread it on a little)

Last edited by: beston: Oct 23, 18 6:21
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping a disc wheel - best tips & adaptors [sommer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sommer wrote:
I bought a Hirame adaptor years ago. It's been pretty flawless for me. I have a Zipp Sub-9 tubular disc and it works/ fits in there perfectly. The best part about it is that once you lock it down, you don't have to hold it while you pump it up.

https://www.tracksupermarket.com/...ent-seal-3-pack.html

Is that the kind of thing you can swap from pump to pump easily or is it pretty permanent once installed on a pump?
Could you take it to transition & attach to a pump ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took an older pump (Lezyne Floor Pump) and permanently attached it to the hose. It's definitely not as plug and play as your typical crack pipe. Which is part of the reason it works so well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can make an adapter from your pump to the Hirame adapter head, that's what I did. I couldn't get a consistent seal just using my normal pump head to the Hirame adapter.

If you have an old busted pump and a tube with a flat and a couple of appropriately sized hose clamps.

Cut the hose from the old pump to about 4-5 inches.

Strip a presta valve stem from the old tube.

Insert the valve stem and Hirame adapter into the opposite ends of the shorted pump hose.

Secure each side with hose clamps.

Use normal pump head to connect to presta valve on the fabricated adapter and the Hirame end to the disc wheel.

I use this only with the disc wheel so it preserves the expensive Hirame adapter. I kept it in my transition bag. The other benefit is that any pump could be used in the transition area if my pump was left in the car or at home or busted.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
IMF wrote:
Thanks

Yes buy one of these and be done with it.

https://www.sigmasports.com/...Presta-Chuck-V2/BSVY

https://www.tririg.com/...Silca_Hiro_v2_Review

I tried one and found it large, overly complicated, and cumbersome. I do like the regular Silca "crack pipe."
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping a disc wheel - best tips & adaptors [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Overly complicated?
Shove it on and close the lever. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this thread as I was about to start one of these...for my last disc, I gave up on the Silca disc adapter and just used a regular pump which slighlky bent my disc, but it was a plastic disc cover so I didn't care all that much. It very well may be user error, but I have found the disc adapters virtualy worthless.

Here are my requirements
(1) must work without multiple hands
(2) must fit disc with hole on only one side (like my HED) with zero risk of scraping or bending disc
(3) must be a plug and go solution, be secure and work-sounds silly but I have tried several adapters that I could never get to work--that very well may be user error but if I can't stick it on, pump and fill my tire without holding the adapter onto the valve, then I'm calling that a manufacturing design flaw ratehr than user error.

Fumpa seems to be a solid option. It is small so great for transition, looks like its plug and pump, and electronic gauge is a bonus. For a one and done solution for this, I would probably be willing to pay $100, albeit begrudingly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I simply take a valve extender and thread it onto the valve leaving the extender sticking up at the side of the disc. Then pretty much any pump head can be attached to the extender - pump, unthread and you're done.
A long extender helps.
I have a crack pipe but have found using the extender method is easier by myself
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping a disc wheel - best tips & adaptors [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
You can make an adapter from your pump to the Hirame adapter head, that's what I did. I couldn't get a consistent seal just using my normal pump head to the Hirame adapter.

If you have an old busted pump and a tube with a flat and a couple of appropriately sized hose clamps.

Cut the hose from the old pump to about 4-5 inches.

Strip a presta valve stem from the old tube.

Insert the valve stem and Hirame adapter into the opposite ends of the shorted pump hose.

Secure each side with hose clamps.

Use normal pump head to connect to presta valve on the fabricated adapter and the Hirame end to the disc wheel.

I use this only with the disc wheel so it preserves the expensive Hirame adapter. I kept it in my transition bag. The other benefit is that any pump could be used in the transition area if my pump was left in the car or at home or busted.

This looks like a great idea...easily swap between pumps this way !!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Overly complicated?
Shove it on and close the lever. :)

Yeah, but at least on the version I had you had the "gasket preload" to adjust, with settings that weren't the same between my wheels. The lever swings out too wide for discs with small cutouts, so at times it wasn't locking into place well. I don't like fumbling around with pre-loads or adapter seating at 4AM with a headlamp. So I reverted to the regular crackpipe which, even with one hand holding in place, works every time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, OK, yeah. Not sure about preload, but on mine too I can only open the arm part way to get it into the disc opening, but seems to be enough to grab on to the valve.
When I used to do it one handed with the traditional crap pipe, I'd end up accidentally pulling it sideways a bit and bending the valve stem....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The silca bluetooth mini-pump works with a HED + disc without needing a crackpipe. It's the perfect race morning pump to top off your tires to accurate pressures. Now if you have to pump the tire all the way up with it, it will take a while. But still easily do-able.
Quote Reply
Re: Pumping a disc wheel - best tips & adaptors [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcohen24 wrote:
I bought a fumpa pump for my disk.
Its usb charged and can fill 6 tires per charge.

It has a digital Guage and the attachment fits on my premier tactical with no extra piece.

I get to transition, and can pump it with one finger. At this point it basically lives in my transition bag.

That thing looks pretty badass. But $179?!?!! Not sure I could justify that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next