Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pull Buoy Sets Same Stroke Count & Pace as Regular Sets?
Quote | Reply
So my pull bouy sets are the same stroke count and same pace as my regular freestyle sets. It doesn't matter how long the sets are.

What does that say about my swimming? I average 2:05/100yds, with a Stroke count of 25 per length.
Quote Reply
Re: Pull Buoy Sets Same Stroke Count & Pace as Regular Sets? [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only PB? If they are equally fast it means that your kick is not really propulsive, just enough to keep your legs up just as much as the PB does. Imo you should 1) work on kick mechanics, probably increase plantarflexion ROM
2) Get a bigger pull bouy 8-)

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Pull Buoy Sets Same Stroke Count & Pace as Regular Sets? [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mortysct wrote:
Only PB? If they are equally fast it means that your kick is not really propulsive, just enough to keep your legs up just as much as the PB does. Imo you should 1) work on kick mechanics, probably increase plantarflexion ROM

According to the difference PB/without PB he swims a lot better than I do: my 400m times are 30s faster with PB compared to without. Although my pace is even without PB slightly faster than his.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Mar 29, 18 0:14
Quote Reply
Re: Pull Buoy Sets Same Stroke Count & Pace as Regular Sets? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
mortysct wrote:

According to the difference PB/without PB he swims a lot better than I do: my 400m times are 30s faster with PB compared to without. Although my pace is even without PB slightly faster than his.

When I 1st started swimming (9 months ago), I remember the pull buoy being so easy. Back then, I couldnt swim 200 yards without being gassed. But with the pull buoy, I could swim all I wanted.

Now, swimming with the pull buoy is not a bit easier. Its like my PB body position must be pretty close to my non PB position.

The reason I asked the question is, I am trying to figure out why I am not getting faster. I can swim for days. But, I have been swimming 2:04-2:09/100yds for several months and not trending faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Pull Buoy Sets Same Stroke Count & Pace as Regular Sets? [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In general, poor swimmers / lousy kickers go faster with a buoy. Average swimmers / kickers go about the same, and optimized swimmers will slow down when you remove the kick and add a buoy. So what happens to your swimming with a pull buoy is definitely a clue as to how much your kick and body positioning are helping or hurting you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Using a pull-buoy drops my pace by around 3-4 seconds per 100. I'm not a very fast swimmer (31 min HIM PB), but I like to mix the pull buoy in as recovery between sets.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
I can swim for days. But, I have been swimming 2:04-2:09/100yds for several months and not trending faster.

Are you doing any Sprint sets? Sounds like you need to work on two things:

1) form (get some coaching)
2) speedwork.. if you can swim for days without getting tired, but can't swim fast, you need to do some sprint sets to work on your top end speed
Quote Reply
Re: Pull Buoy Sets Same Stroke Count & Pace as Regular Sets? [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
In general, poor swimmers / lousy kickers go faster with a buoy. Average swimmers / kickers go about the same, and optimized swimmers will slow down when you remove the kick and add a buoy. So what happens to your swimming with a pull buoy is definitely a clue as to how much your kick and body positioning are helping or hurting you.

This for me, although personally I relate it to bad fitness->average fitness->consistent training/good fitness.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:

This, in general, is correct. If you want to really dig a little deeper into the problem use an ankle strap. If you slow way down your kick is good and your body position is bad. If you only slow a little or stay the same your body position is good and your kick is suffering. If you speed up (like me) then you are changing something that needs to be done all the time. In my case I will tighten up my core to lift my legs and I drop my head, both things I should normally do but only really force with the band or when sprinting.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It probably depends on your kicking.

If you drag your feet and minimal kick, then using a buoy won't change much. Feet are removed from the equation.

If you have a stronger kick, a pull buoy could slow you down.

If you drag your legs when swimming, a pull buoy can potentially make you faster by making your lower half more buoyant.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not unusual, especially for longer swims and/or slower paces. For me, personally, a pull buoy would slow me down about 8-10 seconds in an all-out 100 effort. For a 1500/1650, though, I'm about the same with it as without.

When you're faster with a pull buoy, that's a strong indication of a problem.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply