Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They should set these guys up across the street from BLM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4xLolOI9Po

#hillbillylivesmatter

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
I still don't get how breaking someone else's thing, which has nothing at all to do with your thing, fixes your broken thing?

Your thing is still broken, and someone - who wasn't mad at you before, and MAYBE could have helped - now has their own broken thing, and you are directly responsible for breaking it, for no good reason, other than maybe you wanted them to see how it feels to have a broken thing?

YMMV

I assume that this is a "no business as usual" approach to protests. "You want to ignore the problems we're facing and lead your normal life? Too bad."
It's an approach that has its purposes, I just think it's ill fitted for this one.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like St. Paul is going to do what it takes to prevent any disruption to the marathon itself:

http://www.mprnews.org/.../2015/09/30/marathon

Pretty clear stance - Race organizers sent an email to participants encouraging them all to come out and enjoy the day.

I hope it all goes off with out a hitch.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob - what problems are we facing? The media continually racially charging this country? Racism only exists because the media continues to bring it up as an 'issue'. I know that there are some select individuals that believe the color of your skin makes a difference, but honestly, I do not see that in my local community and I do not see it as a social justice issue - at this point in our society.

They showed up locally (McKinney, TX) when the pool party event took place over the summer. Having been at the rally, those speaking on behalf of BLM were BUSED into town, not locals. All media coverage that showed any tension was due to a group of people trying to make more out of what was going on than there was. The locals were all talking - peacefully. The conversations went about like this:

"The cop went too far."
"Yes, I agree. But she had multiple opportunities to walk away, yet continued to show disrespect."
"Yeah, I saw that, too. Maybe the parents should have been paying closer attention to what their child was doing."
"I agree."

At the end of the event, they passed out a jug asking for money. The entire movement is about creating a problem when one was not there to begin with. And to make money. For the media, they are whores who only want ratings and will run with any slant they can to make it more entertaining.

So I have to ask, in all seriousness, what are the problems you see us facing?

Team Gingerfight
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [EJ_S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EJ_S wrote:

i'd start with people like you who choose to disregard the existence of racism, and who ask anyone fighting against racism to stop.
you've had plenty of time to see racism in action, and you've chosen not to see it. i don't think anything i say on this thread is going to change that.
I will, however, point out how closely your post resembles the letter from 8 Alabama clergymen from April 1963.
It's here, if you want to read it - http://dsapresents.org/...eKingBirmingham1.pdf

Then you can read MLK's response, it's his Letter from Birmingham Jail.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [EJ_S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EJ_S wrote:
Racism only exists because the media continues to bring it up as an 'issue'. /quote]

Wow. Just wow.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EJ_S wrote:
Bob - what problems are we facing? The media continually racially charging this country? Racism only exists because the media continues to bring it up as an 'issue'. I know that there are some select individuals that believe the color of your skin makes a difference, but honestly, I do not see that in my local community and I do not see it as a social justice issue - at this point in our society.

They showed up locally (McKinney, TX) when the pool party event took place over the summer. Having been at the rally, those speaking on behalf of BLM were BUSED into town, not locals. All media coverage that showed any tension was due to a group of people trying to make more out of what was going on than there was. The locals were all talking - peacefully. The conversations went about like this:

"The cop went too far."
"Yes, I agree. But she had multiple opportunities to walk away, yet continued to show disrespect."
"Yeah, I saw that, too. Maybe the parents should have been paying closer attention to what their child was doing."
"I agree."

At the end of the event, they passed out a jug asking for money. The entire movement is about creating a problem when one was not there to begin with. And to make money. For the media, they are whores who only want ratings and will run with any slant they can to make it more entertaining.

Maybe Bob and JT and Power and the other BLM sympathizers here can also address how they feel about the arrest of Latausha Nedd. Latausha is the Georgia based BLM member who recently went on You Tube brandishing an automatic pistol along with a machete promoting how its "open season' on the police and all the "crackers". Pretty pathetic and just another example of why this anti-police/anti-white "organization" should not be supported.
Last edited by: gphin305: Sep 30, 15 21:14
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
Slowlane19 wrote:
I worked as a paramedic in a urban city. Ended up walking away from the job with a lot of new stereotypes from on the job experiences. Experiences that were repeated on a continuous occurrence. The way I was treated as a human being was night and day difference when responding to a call in the city compared to the suburbs. The lack of respect shown toward my partner and myself while trying to help people was unbelievable. We would be trying to help a complete stranger and almost become a patient ourselves. I know that police officers are respected even far more less. I could never be a police officer after seeing what I've seen. Can you imagine trying to do that job when you know that people are trying to hurt you just...because. I challenge anyone who says police are the ones causing this problem to do a "ride along" in a urban setting. Don't point fingers until you have actually experienced their point of view. They choose a career that requires them to 'protect and serve' , not sit on the computer and BS like the rest of us get to do during our "Job". They have families to get home to. People are caught in bad situations and decisions have to be made, this person or me. I'm sorry but i'm supporting the person who chose to protect and serve not the one with a criminal background. No matter white, black, or purple.

Well said. I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt to several of the posters here who don't have your kind of "real world" experience. Some postings just show a high level of naivete and just don't have a grasp of the real world....especially regarding experiences law enforcement officials face in certain neighborhoods every day and night. If BLM was legit, they wouldn't have such a problem with "all lives matter".

I'm a huge supporter of law enforcement. I will always take their side and give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise beyond a shadow of doubt. They put their lives on the line for our benefit every day. If people don't want to get sideways with the police I would suggest refraining from criminal activity.

whelps, i'm surly glad we have cell phone cameras. otherwise you would have supported that (i believe) charleston officer that shot a man in the back and placed a taser in his hands, lying about the whole situation.

look, it's one single incident, but black people have been crying about this stuff for YEARS. perhaps, just perhaps, there is some truth behind it?

jt10000 wrote:
Slowlane19 wrote:
Can you imagine trying to do that job when you know that people are trying to hurt you just...because.

Can you imagine living in a country where you're afraid to call the police because you have seen them abuse innocent people with impunity? Where you're afraid to travel to certain states your whole life? Where you know that no matter how successful and law-abiding you are (eg James Blake, Skip Gates and many many others) if a police officer assaults or arrests you in a bogus way, other officers will rally around them? Where if you're a young person on the street, they can stop and search you without any probable cause?

Can you imagine such a thing? Some people don't have to imagine this - they're living it. You talk about a "ride along." I wish yall could try driving or living while black for a few years, just doing the same stuff you do now, See what it's about. That's your ride along. People don't have to be police. People cannot change the color of their skin.

I haven't experienced police violence first-hand (I have seen it) but I have had police follow/question me for no apparent reason other than the color of my skin. And to make this connect a little bit to endurance sport, a white friend of mine who I travelled to events with for a couple years once remarked "Wow, I never had police talk to me this much before." This was being pulled over with him driving and me in the passenger seat. We never talked about racism, politics or anything that would prompt that remark (just girls, bikes, gossip, etc). To me, that rate of being questioned by police was a normal experience.

Policing is hard. Sure. If someone can't do the job properly due to how they think the public treats they or even the public actually treating them badly, resign. That's fine. If it's too hard, they should quit. They can and should if they feel that way.

So don't dare to say that because you believe (or even in reality) the black public often treat police badly that protesting against police injustice is wrong. Police, as public servants with guns, have to be held to the highest standards. If they can't, they should turn in their guns and badges.

I back police in my city 100% on every fight they have for better wages and benefits, etc. But I do not accept that because their job is hard they should be less accountable for doing it badly.

Slowlane19 wrote:
I'm sorry but i'm supporting the person who chose to protect and serve not the one with a criminal background.
Did Tamir Rice have a criminal background? Did James Blake has a criminal background?

Eric Garner had a criminal background - does that mean he deserved death?

BOOM. preach man, preach. but seriously. do you expect to change the mind of a racists?

i'm not black, but one of my best friends is. he's a well educated man, wouldn't hurt a fly. goes to church every friday and saturday. has a great family. when we were in college and then grad school together he was pulled over at least 25 times. you're not going to believe this, but it was because he was black.

when you are not speeding, not breaking any rules of the road and have no criminal offenses or prior driving offenses and you are pulled over that many times, it is called racial profiling/racism. i once asked him why the hell he stopped at stop signs for 4 whole seconds (he counted out loud) and he said it was because he doesn't want to be pulled over and arrested. yeap, ARRESTED. this man was once arrested by a cop because the cop said he tried to crash his car into the cruiser. (story: he was parked at stop and shop and the cop waived him out, he pulled out and left stop and shop, cop pulled him over, said he tried to crash into his car and JAILED him for the night).

no one expects white people to UNDERSTAND, you never will. you'll never have any idea what it is like to live as a colored person (especially black) in this country. all they are asking is that you EMPATHIZE with their situation and maybe, just maybe realize that we are all in this together and help out.

i hear a lot of bitching on here about black on black crime, all lives matter. that shit just shows how god damn ignorant you really are to things in the world.

imagine VW's emission issues involved their petrol and diesel cars and the disel car owners were protesting how they are getting screwed. would you come along and say hey, shut up, we're all getting screwed? that's a shitty example, but that's how stupid you sound. i can use such a shitty example to demonstrate how ridiculous you sound.

the reality is very simple, black people are murdered at an incredibly high rate (for all you stat heads, look it up) compared to whites. that is of concern for BLACK people. yes, the movement is in regard of police violence, but it is particular to police violence against people who are black. how god damn hard is that to understand. how fucking racist/ignorant/prejudice do you have to be?

shouldn't you people be on the IMMD board saying that ALL races matter because those folks doing IMMD clearly don't give a fuck about any other racers, or other athletes in the region, right? no, it's not that they don't care about those races, it's that those races don't affect them.

white privilege is one of the greatest gifts you can be born with and to quote the great benjamin parker (spider mans uncle), "with great power comes great responsibility". (that was my effort of lightening the mood a little).

john

p.s.- though i do not support the actions of BLM at the TCM i can understand their cause/reason to do it and empathize with them.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:

Maybe Bob and JT and Power and the other BLM sympathizers here can also address how they feel about the arrest of Latausha Nedd. Latausha is the Georgia based BLM member who recently went on You Tube brandishing an automatic pistol along with a machete promoting how its "open season' on the police and all the "crackers". Pretty pathetic and just another example of why this anti-police/anti-white "organization" should not be supported.

removed most of what i'd written before, since it's too far away from the topic.
if you don't see the racism that exists in American society, it's because you're choosing to not see it. nothing i write on this thread will change that.
Last edited by: Bob Loblaw: Sep 30, 15 23:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
EJ_S wrote:

"The cop went too far."
"I agree."

I'm pretty sir for every such case, I can find a video or incident of a coo actually killing an unarmed black man.

You can decide for yourself which is worse.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon,

The more pertinent question on this thread remains to be answered: Do you SERIOUSLY believe that BLM should block this Marathon and prevent 10,000 runners from running the last 1.2 miles? If you do, then you might as well tell New York City's BLM chapter to block NY's West Village Halloween Gay Parade.

No offense to the NY LGBT chapter.

Last edited by: paxfobiscum: Oct 1, 15 5:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bob Loblaw wrote:
gphin305 wrote:

if you don't see the racism that exists in American society, it's because you're choosing to not see it. nothing i write on this thread will change that.

Hey Bob and Power, etc. You guys are really missing the point. Nobody is disputing racism doesn't exist. Of course it does....on both sides. Nobody is disputing sometimes an arrest might go wrong. But BLM has proven they are simply an anti-cop / anti-white group of haters who like to go around disrupting things instead of using proper channels to publicize their "cause". Simple as that. And to Power, "I'm pretty sir for every such case, I can find a video or incident of a coo actually killing an unarmed black man", ......using that kind of rationale you would probably find a way to defend the asshole who ambushed the cop in Oklahoma and the guy who killed the two cops sitting in their patrol car in NY. Oh well.
Last edited by: gphin305: Oct 1, 15 6:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:

Hey Bob and Power, etc. You guys are really missing the point. Nobody is disputing racism doesn't exist. Of course it does....on both sides. Nobody is disputing sometimes an arrest might go wrong. But BLM has proven they are simply an anti-cop / anti-white group of haters who like to go around disrupting things instead of using proper channels to publicize their "cause". Simple as that. And to Power, "I'm pretty sir for every such case, I can find a video or incident of a coo actually killing an unarmed black man", ......using that kind of rationale you would probably find a way to defend the asshole who ambushed the cop in Oklahoma and the guy who killed the two cops sitting in their patrol car in NY. Oh well.

If you can find anything that I have posted that implies I endorse violence against police officers, please provide a link. What you seem to be missing is the fact that I am not trying to play tit-for-tat, nor endorsing what some extreme members of BLM may be chanting. You, however, seem to think that chants and yout tube videos of (admitedly inappropriate) free speech equates to the same thing as cops killing innocent people.

it is pretty clear you lack the ability to discuss this issue in a rational or logical manner. Oh well.

Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
gphin305 wrote:

If you can find anything that I have posted that implies I endorse violence against police officers, please provide a link. What you seem to be missing is the fact that I am not trying to play tit-for-tat, nor endorsing what some extreme members of BLM may be chanting. You, however, seem to think that chants and yout tube videos of (admitedly inappropriate) free speech equates to the same thing as cops killing innocent people.

it is pretty clear you lack the ability to discuss this issue in a rational or logical manner. Oh well.

Oh ok, now I get it. You think Michael Brown (where this whole BLM movement started) and Eric Garner, and Freddie Gray were "innocent people". Wow! Ok, that explains a lot where you are getting your rationale. No point in going any further with you....good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The outrage surrounding this planned protest seems to be proportional to one's ignorance as to the scope of the problem.
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Oct 1, 15 7:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:

Oh ok, now I get it. You think Michael Brown (where this whole BLM movement started) and Eric Garner, and Freddie Gray were "innocent people". Wow! Ok, that explains a lot where you are getting your rationale. No point in going any further with you....good luck.

Well they were legally innocent, if that counts for anything anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
Power13 wrote:
gphin305 wrote:

So that is a "no" on finding a link where I endoresed violence against LEO's? Great, thanks.

The rest of your post is very telling. You seem to lack the understanding that cops are not supposed to act as jusge, juror and executioner. We can debate the Michael brown issue, but there was no justifiable defense in the killings of Eric Garner and Freddie Gray. Whatever their past may have been, it does not justify cops killing them. Period, end of story. But hey, it was just a couple of dead black men. Nothing for you to worry about...just move along.

Whatever you do, don't watch this video...it may force you to confront some ugly truths about your beliefs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwYVJ4W7DPo

Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

do you realize that showing them that video does nothing? they'll justify it as the kid had something that looked like a gun. the cops have families too (all which i agree with actually).

the thing is, IF this child was white he would NOT have been shot like that. there is no ifs ands or buts about it. that's the really really scary part. no one is arguing that the cops were not worried about their own safety. the 911 call said someone has a gun and is pointing it at people. as a LEO you go in knowing that you can be killed and not see your family. that is scary. but the simple fact is that there was no warning. just out of the car and wasted the child. in any other situation where the person was not black the cops pull up, open doors, draws weapons and yells for the child to drop the gun. THAT is what folks are arguing about. THAT is the core of BLM.

paxfobiscum wrote:
ahhchon,

The more pertinent question on this thread remains to be answered: Do you SERIOUSLY believe that BLM should block this Marathon and prevent 10,000 runners from running the last 1.2 miles? If you do, then you might as well tell New York City's BLM chapter to block NY's West Village Halloween Gay Parade.

No offense to the NY LGBT chapter.

did you SERIOUSLY not read a word that i said? it's funny that i write ALL that and the only thing you care about is if i believe they should block a stupid road race, which i clearly state.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:

do you realize that showing them that video does nothing? they'll justify it as the kid had something that looked like a gun. the cops have families too (all which i agree with actually).

Oh I know....but sometimes the only thing you can do is show someone the truth.

Here is the thing which some people can't seem to comprehend.....no one is saying that guys like Michael Brown, Freddie Gray or Eric Garner were angels. It is pretty obvious from their pasts that they weren't.....but that isn't the point. Attempting to portray support for anti-cop violence as portraying the victims as "good people" or model citizens is simply deflection away from the central issue.

Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
Jason80134 wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
What a remarkable excuse for denying the scope/impact of institutional racism and dismissing the need to do anything about it.

Someone here said that some commenters here would have been saying how wrong Martin Luther King Jr. Your post exemplifies that.

Bla, bla, bla. You are completely disconnected from reality and common sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, I bet JT10000 is one of the few people of color posting in this thread. So maybe his reality and common sense aren't disconnected, they are just different because of his different life experiences. Of course most white people can't even accept that different people have different life experiences.

The thing that drives me craziest about this thread is people who put their head in the sand completely. "racism doesn't exist" is the worst response.

I get that lots of people believe in some bootstrap ideals. But to deny racism and then victim blame is so unbelievably terrible, I'm at a loss.

By the way, Minnesota political leaders are agreeing to meet with BLM leaders. So to those who said "what could this accomplish?" It got them a seat at the table and someone to hear them out and that's the whole point of activism.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
... but there was no justifiable defense in the killings of Eric Garner

You keep doing this, and you keep ignoring me when I point it out. Eric Garner was not "killed" by a cop, and certainly not intentionally. He was resisting arrest and died after the scuffle that ensued BECAUSE he was resisting arrest. His ill-health was likely a significant contributing factor also. And regardless of his alleged crime, no matter how petty you think it was, had he not resisted arrest, he would still be alive today.

And if you go about in public brandishing a gun, even a fake one that looks 100% real, then you have to expect some potentially serious consequences. Don't go about pointing guns in public, don't resist arrest.

As you can see from my earlier posts I'm not suggesting some changes in policing techniques would be unwarranted. But the examples being used to criticize the police are often bad ones. Now if Michael Slager is acquitted, then that would be a good example to use, but for now he's been charged with murder. And by the way, while I do not condone Slager's actions, if Walter Scott had not fled, he too would still be alive. Unfortunately part of the gun culture in the States makes it easier for police to justify shooting suspects sooner rather than later. Note police in the UK are not even armed. Cue gun control debate...
Quote Reply

Prev Next