Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Fred D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fred D wrote:
CharlesYTri wrote:
delusions of grandeur....the average slowtwitch marathoner is not exactly built to blow through "traffic" like Earl Campell.
. Love the earl Campbell reference, he was just flat out awesome! On a more serious note, why not just end the marathon short of the protest? It would give everyone a pr, just like the Chattanooga swim or the old Austria Ironman run? Everyone wins! "Yeah dude, that's the year I finally broke 4 hours...".

I"ll second that. The Tyler Rose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One bad a$$ mofo but the nicest most down to earth guy in the world off the field. Good ole country boy.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Slowlane19 wrote:
Can you imagine trying to do that job when you know that people are trying to hurt you just...because. .

I dunno...seems the whole point of BLM is that LEO's are hurting and killing black citizens just....because.

Yes, it is an issue for ALL citizens. The police force acts with impudence across all racial barriers....but to think that it does not happen on a significant higher level against African-Americans is just willfully ignorant.

The implication that the black community somehow *deserves* this because of how some members act is pretty disgusting.

Agree, it's an issue for all Americans. And of course it happens to blacks on a higher level. But the facts are the facts......blacks commit the majority of crime in this country.....yet they account for less than 13% of our population. Divide that further down....black males are about 6.5%......the ratio of crime committed by this group is truly alarming and way out of balance. BLM needs to focus on the source of this.....not blaming/killing white police officers.

We can go through a whole litany of systemic and societal reasons why the black crime rate is so high....but I don't think it is really going to help your argument.

More disturbing is the inference that they somehow deserve this treatment since their crime rate is so high.

As for the your last statement....WTF? BLM is not killing police officers, let alone targeting white ones.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:
kathy_caribe wrote:
so... i am absolutely The Only One? i know nothing of the cause as I don't live in teh USA but from what i read there is a huge disparity of racism up there, culminating in huge societal factors - one of which is that black folk seem to have targets on them. is there not a huge disparity between black and white seen through many different layers of society, from education to jail?

honestly, were i running the marathon and experienced an event (can't remember the word to use) at mile 25 i would either take a rest or join in. the idea of my white ass being inconvenienced during a hobby to bring awareness - it reeks of elitism to be bothered by forcing awareness of such a grave situation. were none of you Vietnam War protesters? were none of you Cesar Chavez and farm workers' awareness fighters?

Perhaps you need to pull your head out of the sand and get beyond they hype. For every Trayvon Martin, there is a De'Marquise Elkins.

Elkins, who does not get the bad press because he is black, shot a baby in the face because the bother did not have money when she was getting mugged.

Looking at the Department of Justice Statistics, during 2012 - 2013 blacks committed 560K violent crimes against whites and whites committed 99K crimes against blacks. Then wrap your head around the fact that there are 5x as many whites as blacks. The rate of white on hispanic violence is twice that of white on black crime.

In fact, more whites are arrested for crimes than blacks. 2012 for example, 6.5M whites vs 2.6M blacks. The difference again, more blacks commit murder and manslaughter 4203 vs 4101 even though whites make up a larger population (blacks 5x more likely to commit murder statistically) Even in the area of say rape, that is 9K white and 4.5K black, though the percentage of black on white rape far exceeds the opposite, by almost 10:1.

Hey, hey, hey, who said you could use actual data and statistics. This is supposed to remain a philosophical, biased and when possible racist discussion.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Maui5150 wrote:
kathy_caribe wrote:
so... i am absolutely The Only One? i know nothing of the cause as I don't live in teh USA but from what i read there is a huge disparity of racism up there, culminating in huge societal factors - one of which is that black folk seem to have targets on them. is there not a huge disparity between black and white seen through many different layers of society, from education to jail?

honestly, were i running the marathon and experienced an event (can't remember the word to use) at mile 25 i would either take a rest or join in. the idea of my white ass being inconvenienced during a hobby to bring awareness - it reeks of elitism to be bothered by forcing awareness of such a grave situation. were none of you Vietnam War protesters? were none of you Cesar Chavez and farm workers' awareness fighters?

Perhaps you need to pull your head out of the sand and get beyond they hype. For every Trayvon Martin, there is a De'Marquise Elkins.

Elkins, who does not get the bad press because he is black, shot a baby in the face because the bother did not have money when she was getting mugged.

Looking at the Department of Justice Statistics, during 2012 - 2013 blacks committed 560K violent crimes against whites and whites committed 99K crimes against blacks. Then wrap your head around the fact that there are 5x as many whites as blacks. The rate of white on hispanic violence is twice that of white on black crime.

In fact, more whites are arrested for crimes than blacks. 2012 for example, 6.5M whites vs 2.6M blacks. The difference again, more blacks commit murder and manslaughter 4203 vs 4101 even though whites make up a larger population (blacks 5x more likely to commit murder statistically) Even in the area of say rape, that is 9K white and 4.5K black, though the percentage of black on white rape far exceeds the opposite, by almost 10:1.

Hey, hey, hey, who said you could use actual data and statistics. This is supposed to remain a philosophical, biased and when possible racist discussion.

Silly me.

Best thing I can say I suppose can be summed up in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndaXQeRPO0g
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Slowlane19 wrote:
Can you imagine trying to do that job when you know that people are trying to hurt you just...because. .

I dunno...seems the whole point of BLM is that LEO's are hurting and killing black citizens just....because.

Yes, it is an issue for ALL citizens. The police force acts with impudence across all racial barriers....but to think that it does not happen on a significant higher level against African-Americans is just willfully ignorant.

The implication that the black community somehow *deserves* this because of how some members act is pretty disgusting.

Agree, it's an issue for all Americans. And of course it happens to blacks on a higher level. But the facts are the facts......blacks commit the majority of crime in this country.....yet they account for less than 13% of our population. Divide that further down....black males are about 6.5%......the ratio of crime committed by this group is truly alarming and way out of balance. BLM needs to focus on the source of this.....not blaming/killing white police officers.

We can go through a whole litany of systemic and societal reasons why the black crime rate is so high....but I don't think it is really going to help your argument.

More disturbing is the inference that they somehow deserve this treatment since their crime rate is so high.

As for the your last statement....WTF? BLM is not killing police officers, let alone targeting white ones.

I guess you missed the coverage of the BLM protesters marching and chanting "what do we want....dead cops.....when do we want it.....now".......in addition to the "pigs in a blanket" chant at another demonstration. Try to stay informed of the big picture here......which you are obviously missing.

ps....."deserve this treatment"? What are you referring to.....getting arrested for committing a crime?
Last edited by: gphin305: Sep 30, 15 10:18
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
I guess you missed the coverage of the BLM protesters marching and chanting "what do we want....dead cops.....when do we want it.....now".......in addition to the "pigs in a blanket" chant at another demonstration. Try to stay informed of the big picture here......which you are obviously missing.

Confirmation bias is a powerful thing. I'm pretty sure I can find online videos of white people promoting violence against blacks. In fact, shoot, it's in this thread.

Point being that the vast majority of "BLM" protesters don't seem to promote violence at all.

But amongst the hundreds of thousands of protestors and the millions of cell phones out there, some do. And in today's world, it gets repeated over and over in an echo chamber until it dominates the narrative. And they get associated with BLM even if no direct connection is actually made to organized BLM protests.

The amount of White Fear in this thread is pretty amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

jt10000 wrote:
Slowlane19 wrote:
The only way to change your stereotype is to change how people perceive you.

How the fuck is someone like James Blake or Henry Gates supposed to change the stereotype of how they are perceived?

How was Tamir Rice?

How am I? I went to one of the best secondary schools in the country, one of the best colleges in the world, and was at one of the best universities in the world when I realized how police were following me. But it's my job to change how police perceive me (or black people in general)? Or BLM's job?

BLM Marchers chanted in unison, “Pigs in a blanket, fry ’em like bacon.”

This was said by the basket you put your eggs in.

Yea I want to support this group and listen to anything they have to say..

�There ought to be something very special about the boundary conditions of the universe, and what can be more special than that there is no boundary?�- Stephen Hawking
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
gphin305 wrote:

Confirmation bias is a powerful thing. I'm pretty sure I can find online videos of white people promoting violence against blacks. In fact, shoot, it's in this thread.

Point being that the vast majority of "BLM" protesters don't seem to promote violence at all.

But amongst the hundreds of thousands of protestors and the millions of cell phones out there, some do. And in today's world, it gets repeated over and over in an echo chamber until it dominates the narrative. And they get associated with BLM even if no direct connection is actually made to organized BLM protests.

Really? Guessed you missed the coverage of the Baltimore and Ferguson riots? Strange....I didn't see any protestors trying to stop the looting. You are really stretching for excuses here!
Last edited by: gphin305: Sep 30, 15 10:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
Power13 wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Slowlane19 wrote:

ps....."deserve this treatment"? What are you referring to.....getting arrested for committing a crime?

The crime rate among the black community is immaterial to them being the victims of unnecessary violence at the hands of LEO's. Higher crime rates does not allow LEO's to step outside the law. To infer otherwise is to suggest that the black community deserves this treatment.

You said BLM needs to stop "blaming / killing" police officers. If you could provide a link to where they have actually killed police officers, that would be swell. Last I checked, chants at a protest, distasteful as those were, are protected under a legal document known as the Bill of Rights.

Based on your posts, I don't think you are familiar with that document. Highly recommended reading.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
trail wrote:
gphin305 wrote:

Really? Guessed you missed the coverage of the Baltimore and Ferguson riots? Funny....I didn't see any protestors trying to stop the looting. You are really stretching for excuses here!

Wait...wut? Remind me again what triggered the Baltimore riots, please...and yes, there were many protestors who pleaded for peaceful demonstrations and to stop the looting. But FOX News is not your source for such information.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:

Really? Guessed you missed the coverage of the Baltimore and Ferguson riots? You are really stretching for excuses here!

Rioters aren't BLM protesters. Probably some crossover of personnel. But I wouldn't classify the people organizing a protest as the same thing as rioters. The one similarity is they're both black?

But this thread is train-wrecking. Take this to the Lavender Room, biatch! I'll tear your lily-Aryan ass apart, rhetorically. (yes, I'm a skinny-ass white guy too, of course). Using logic, and maybe science! You'll be carried out of the Lavender room in the fetal position, crying like a little girl.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't call it "white fear." I'd call it we are sick to death of always being the scapegoat as to "why" African Americans are still being oppressed. The entire title "Black Lives Matter" gives the sense that Caucasians believe they do not. If you want to do some real work, how about targeting gang rallies out in South Central California and let the Crips and the Bloods know that Black Lives matter? Why is it that Al Sharpton only shows up when it's a white on black issue? I don't see him addressing black on white, black on black issues. I am betting there are more black on black crimes in this Country than white on black or black on white. THAT is who BLM should be targeting, not a bunch of marathoners.

AND before you go blasting me, I have two African American brothers, I am not racist. One 22 and one 19 year old. Adopted them when they were both 6 weeks old. I love them as much as my biological sister. They know their lives matter. Both in college getting an education that THEY earned.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [TrekGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrekGeek wrote:
I wouldn't call it "white fear." I'd call it we are sick to death of always being the scapegoat as to "why" African Americans are still being oppressed. The entire title "Black Lives Matter" gives the sense that Caucasians believe they do not. If you want to do some real work, how about targeting gang rallies out in South Central California and let the Crips and the Bloods know that Black Lives matter? Why is it that Al Sharpton only shows up when it's a white on black issue? I don't see him addressing black on white, black on black issues. I am betting there are more black on black crimes in this Country than white on black or black on white. THAT is who BLM should be targeting, not a bunch of marathoners.

AND before you go blasting me, I have two African American brothers, I am not racist. One 22 and one 19 year old. Adopted them when they were both 6 weeks old. I love them as much as my biological sister. They know their lives matter. Both in college getting an education that THEY earned.

Here is what is laughable....critics of BLM retort with "ALL live matter" and want the black community to act inclusive. But these same people are the first ones to single out the black community and view them as a separate entity in attempts to disparage them.

Convenient.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread has slipped off the rails and should be moved to the LR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
gphin305 wrote:

Really? Guessed you missed the coverage of the Baltimore and Ferguson riots? You are really stretching for excuses here!

Rioters aren't BLM protesters. Probably some crossover of personnel. But I wouldn't classify the people organizing a protest as the same thing as rioters. The one similarity is they're both black?

But this thread is train-wrecking. Take this to the Lavender Room, biatch! I'll tear your lily-Aryan ass apart, rhetorically. (yes, I'm a skinny-ass white guy too, of course). Using logic, and maybe science! You'll be carried out of the Lavender room in the fetal position, crying like a little girl.

You know.....I sort of doubt that. But, you just showed your true intelligence and logic on this subject. Yep, best you get your ass in the Lavender Room.

Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still don't get how breaking someone else's thing, which has nothing at all to do with your thing, fixes your broken thing?

Your thing is still broken, and someone - who wasn't mad at you before, and MAYBE could have helped - now has their own broken thing, and you are directly responsible for breaking it, for no good reason, other than maybe you wanted them to see how it feels to have a broken thing?

YMMV

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
But these same people are the first ones to single out the black community and view them as a separate entity in attempts to disparage them.

Convenient.

What about the black community singling out itself with "black" magazines like Ebony? And before you say, ah, but that's cultural, at what point do we have to accept we've become a completely mixed race society and it becomes inappropriate to highlight racial divides? Or are white supremacists ok too? You can't have it both ways. The only way to move on is to stop using race/skin color as a tag. A black magazine, or TV show, or whatever, only perpetuates racial divides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was that directed at me? Which community is BLM pointing at? Hmmm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Here is what is laughable....critics of BLM retort with "ALL live matter" and want the black community to act inclusive. But these same people are the first ones to single out the black community and view them as a separate entity in attempts to disparage them.

Convenient.
Yeah. Your post reminds me of this

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So to get back on topic, and apols if you've stated your position earlier in the thread as I haven't read every post, do you support the planned BLM protest at the marathon or not?

Interesting that some members of BLM are now distancing themselves from the plans:
http://www.startribune.com/...-backlash/330034841/

I think both the police and the black community have to both recognize they each have issues to address and try to work together with constructive dialogue and new ideas. This kind of protest only serves to alienate the community and increase tensions.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
So to get back on topic, and apols if you've stated your position earlier in the thread as I haven't read every post, do you support the planned BLM protest at the marathon or not?
I haven't said anything about that. I don't have a strong opinion either way. I wouldn't do it myself and imagine that there are better targets (I'm not familiar with Minnesota)

I will say I do not agree with the idea that protests about significant issues should not inconvenience the public - and the issue of systematic violence is so important I wouldn't say they shouldn't do it.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Post deleted by CharlesYTri [ In reply to ]
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

Interesting that some members of BLM are now distancing themselves from the plans:
http://www.startribune.com/...-backlash/330034841/

I think both the police and the black community have to both recognize they each have issues to address and try to work together with constructive dialogue and new ideas. This kind of protest only serves to alienate the community and increase tensions.

Let's see what the responses to this are...

"Ashley Oliver, a member of Black Lives Matter-Minneapolis and the legal chairwoman of the NAACP in Minneapolis, also took to social media, speaking on her own behalf. “It pains me to dissociate myself from this rally,” she said in an interview Tuesday. Although she’s been criticized by some for speaking out against the protest, she said disrupting the marathon is the wrong forum to get the Black Lives Matters message out. There’s no connection between the runners or the marathon to the injustices such as police brutality that she’s fighting against, she said. “This puts the movement in an awful light,” Oliver said. “This is being done for publicity and for disturbance sake. I can’t get behind that. Our message will get lost.” Oliver said some of the runners in this race sympathize with the Black Lives Matter cause. “Maybe they weren’t marching with us before, but they really aren’t now. … We can’t do this alone. Our communities intertwine. We have to have allies in the community,” she said."

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed.
I agree with her, but apparently jt10000 doesn't. Well, his answer was very 'diplomatic' so I'm not 100% sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lost in all this discussion is that this part of the race course (Summit Ave) is a really nice street with I am assuming some wealthy folks living there. I wonder how this all will play out in an affluent part of town. I'm just guessing the rich folks are going to ask for (and get) police presence ahead of time. Plus that area of the course is already packed with people normally. Going to be interesting if it happens.
Quote Reply

Prev Next