Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Printer wrote:
Here's a FB page supporting the runners.

https://www.facebook.com/...8194436308/timeline/

That page is very soft and passive.

If I was planning to run the race, which I'm not, I think I would have two choices: 1) don't run or 2) accept that my run will end in some kind of fist fight for me (probably on the losing end, frankly, but a fight nonetheless) if they are intentionally liking arms and blocking the roadway. No way I'm getting bullied in the heat of the moment. Better not to run (for me).
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's no way these dipshits actually succeed in blocking the race. Even if they manage to get a few dozen of themselves out onto Summit Ave. making noise (and I doubt they will even be able to pull that off), what's stopping people from running up onto the boulevard or sidewalk or around through someone's yard, or hell, even cutting one street over for a block or two then going back onto the course once they're past all this nonsense?

Stopping 12,000 individual runners is a hell of a lot harder logistically than blocking a train or a few lanes of auto traffic. Unless they show up with thousands of people who are willing to risk actual prison time and burn any last shred of sympathy they may have with the public by kicking off a full scale riot anyone who wants to get to the finish line will be able to do so.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh goodie. Maybe French farmers on tractors will join in. They've had experience blocking races. They can show them the ropes.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
...They can show them the ropes.
Nice...
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huh? Oh no you didn't....? Jesus! :o
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Mike Rossi is entered he'd be my favorite to win.

He'll either begin his race at the 25.5 mile mark or drive through the blockade.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
If you have followed this "cause" from the start you would know it was based on a total lie.

So what you are idiotically saying is that black people are not being killed by police officers at a much higher rate than others? You are saying that driving while black, walking while black, standing while black, does not exist? Really?

Do you not understand how our country was built upon racism, from wiping out the indians to enslaving the back race? Racism continued legally, as in it was codified into law, until the early 60's. Then it was not codified but just practiced. Redlining prevented home ownership for minorities, the most likely way to achieve and pass along wealth to your children. Minorities were denied education, job and promotions. Reduced to poverty by institutionalized racism, whites blamed them for their "failings" to achieve wealth and create homes, which still happens daily on Fox News and most corporate owned media, and parroted by such self-made, pulled-up-by-their-own-bootstraps men as Jeb Bush and Mitt Romney. Now trying to just get a swing of the bat, while other Americans are starting on third base, they are much more likely to be harassed, brutalized, and killed by a police force- sometimes by the need to achieve "broken window" statistics, others times by fear and racism.

Yet you want to claim that their "cause" is built upon a lie. Please expound some more from your place of privilege! You do not sound the least bit clueless.

Statements like the one gphin305 made need to stay confined to the forum created for it so the rest of the forum is not polluted.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [KoopaTroopa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They already had 350-500 show up at St Paul State Fair and they did a fake "die-in" where they laid on the ground.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFWTri wrote:
They already had 350-500 show up at St Paul State Fair and they did a fake "die-in" where they laid on the ground.

So they died alongside all the lard-gulping state fair attendees?
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [KoopaTroopa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KoopaTroopa wrote:
There's no way these dipshits actually succeed in blocking the race. Even if they manage to get a few dozen of themselves out onto Summit Ave. making noise (and I doubt they will even be able to pull that off), what's stopping people from running up onto the boulevard or sidewalk or around through someone's yard, or hell, even cutting one street over for a block or two then going back onto the course once they're past all this nonsense?

Stopping 12,000 individual runners is a hell of a lot harder logistically than blocking a train or a few lanes of auto traffic. Unless they show up with thousands of people who are willing to risk actual prison time and burn any last shred of sympathy they may have with the public by kicking off a full scale riot anyone who wants to get to the finish line will be able to do so.

Pretty sure Julie Miller could find a way around the blockade...

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [CharlesYTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is like someone saying "stop child abuse" and you responding with "stop ALL abuse!". Needless and insensitive.

That being said, this marathon idea seems pretty half baked. Maybe that's generous...quarter baked?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there might be an epic game of "red rover" at the end of this race.

I am willing to donate $50 dollars to arm the runners with a cans of bear mace. Anyone want to set up a go fund me for this? I think - the best way to react to non violent protests - is with bear mace.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFWTri wrote:
Or how about focusing on stop committing the crimes to begin with.

What, you don't think that #thuglivesmatter?

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GT wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
If you have followed this "cause" from the start you would know it was based on a total lie.

So what you are idiotically saying is that black people are not being killed by police officers at a much higher rate than others? You are saying that driving while black, walking while black, standing while black, does not exist? Really?

Do you not understand how our country was built upon racism, from wiping out the indians to enslaving the back race? Racism continued legally, as in it was codified into law, until the early 60's. Then it was not codified but just practiced. Redlining prevented home ownership for minorities, the most likely way to achieve and pass along wealth to your children. Minorities were denied education, job and promotions. Reduced to poverty by institutionalized racism, whites blamed them for their "failings" to achieve wealth and create homes, which still happens daily on Fox News and most corporate owned media, and parroted by such self-made, pulled-up-by-their-own-bootstraps men as Jeb Bush and Mitt Romney. Now trying to just get a swing of the bat, while other Americans are starting on third base, they are much more likely to be harassed, brutalized, and killed by a police force- sometimes by the need to achieve "broken window" statistics, others times by fear and racism.

Yet you want to claim that their "cause" is built upon a lie. Please expound some more from your place of privilege! You do not sound the least bit clueless.

Wow GT....you must be dyslexic if you understood that from my post. And I doubt you took many history classes (philosophy degree?) with this understanding how this country has treated minorities for the past 40 years.....post affirmative action. Your entire comment is based on pre 1960s. Ever hear of Affirmative Action? Didn't think so....look it up. And of course blacks are killed at a much higher rate......they commit over 50% of the crime in this country even though young black males make up less than 5% of the population. Really....what do you expect. You really have no clue but this isn't the place to discuss. Somehow I have the feeling you have been treated unfairly your entire life. Go back to watching MSNBC with the other dozen viewers. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:

He'll either begin his race at the 25.5 mile mark or drive through the blockade.

You have just won the Internet.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They should make t-shirts and their own finisher medals and I'd be down for the cause for the most badass hijacked "almost-but-not-quite" marathon. Set a PR at the rate 25 mile distance. If they could get Boston to recognize a projected finish as a qualifier.

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [K-DUB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
K-DUB wrote:
They should make t-shirts and their own finisher medals and I'd be down for the cause for the most badass hijacked "almost-but-not-quite" marathon. Set a PR at the rate 25 mile distance. If they could get Boston to recognize a projected finish as a qualifier.

Or make it a 24 mile race and see how long it takes for them to realize that nobody's coming to their block party.

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runners will probably just run the first 25 miles and finish up the last 1.2 on the elliptical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead of blocking a bunch of thin and nerdy white guys, they should show they really mean business by trying to block Sturgis.

I'd buy that for a dollar.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
pattersonpaul wrote:

You have just won the Internet.

funny, i was thinking there's gonna be a Rossi / Miller or similar out there who's unaware of the protest. they'll show up at the finish line, "naililng their PR". when asked about how they got thru the protesters ...... oh, it will be too good
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
Instead of blocking a bunch of thin and nerdy white guys, they should show they really mean business by trying to block Sturgis.

I'd buy that for a dollar.

Now that wins the internet.

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
This is like someone saying "stop child abuse" and you responding with "stop ALL abuse!". Needless and insensitive.

That being said, this marathon idea seems pretty half baked. Maybe that's generous...quarter baked?

yeah, pretty much where i stand on this.
i wouldn't mind if some of the clueless folks on this thread got stopped mid-race at some point.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [adablduya1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adablduya1 wrote:
you can't be serious. you really think that people who have trained for and traveled to the event will feel good about being blocked from finishing at mile 25 ?

I'll tell you this: no way in Hades I'd be prevented from finishing the marathon. Blood will spill (and not mine) if need be.

Sadly, I'm reminded of some folks who COULDN'T finish in Boston, for JUST that reason

You MIGHT want to reconsider & rephrase

Douche

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
kill the white people

Kill my landlord

See

Eye

Ell

Ell

My landlord

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply