Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:

The truth that our minority communities don't want to accept is that movements like "Black Lives Matter" just perpetuate the victim status of minorities in this country. We need fair treatment, yes, but what our communities need more than anyting is to pick our sorry butts off the ground and start taking ownership for our successes and failures.

How stopping a marathon does anything to help black communities is a mystery to me and is further evidence that civil rights organizations have been taken over by morons in this country.

Exactly. Perpetuating the victim mentality does not help either side. Movements and acts of protest like this only add and create rifts among people.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Sounds like a completely reasonable way to gain support for their cause.

you can't be serious. you really think that people who have trained for and traveled to the event will feel good about being blocked from finishing at mile 25 ?

i'll tell you this: no way in hades i'd be prevented from finishing the marathon. blood will spill (and not mine) if need be.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
kathy_caribe wrote:
so... i am absolutely The Only One? i know nothing of the cause as I don't live in teh USA but from what i read there is a huge disparity of racism up there, culminating in huge societal factors - one of which is that black folk seem to have targets on them. is there not a huge disparity between black and white seen through many different layers of society, from education to jail?

honestly, were i running the marathon and experienced an event (can't remember the word to use) at mile 25 i would either take a rest or join in. the idea of my white ass being inconvenienced during a hobby to bring awareness - it reeks of elitism to be bothered by forcing awareness of such a grave situation. were none of you Vietnam War protesters? were none of you Cesar Chavez and farm workers' awareness fighters?

This possibly one of the most idiotic statement that I have read on Slowtwitch recently. As a Hispanic American I can tell you that I am sick and tired about the culture of victimhood of the minority comunities in the US. Is there racism? Yes. Should something be done about it? Absolutely. And there has been incredible progress in the last 30 years. The freaking President of the US is an African American for heavens sake!

The truth that our minority communities don't want to accept is that movements like "Black Lives Matter" just perpetuate the victim status of minorities in this country. We need fair treatment, yes, but what our communities need more than anyting is to pick our sorry butts off the ground and start taking ownership for our successes and failures.

How stopping a marathon does anything to help black communities is a mystery to me and is further evidence that civil rights organizations have been taken over by morons in this country. This is absolutely NOT what any responsible civil rights organization should do and I hope that they throw any and all of those people who disturb the marathon in jail.

I agree with most of this, but sometimes taking ownership isn't enough. Sometimes you have to let people know there's a problem so the parties out of your control can begin to take ownership of their failures.

The culture of "I'm the victim" is problematic in this country, and not just with minorities actually, but the recent trend of rampant victim blaming (see the "thug, gang banger", and "caused by running" comments above for example) in this country is something that may be more troubling (and again, not just in regards to minorities).
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [adablduya1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adablduya1 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

you can't be serious. you really think that people who have trained for and traveled to the event will feel good about being blocked from finishing at mile 25 ?

i'll tell you this: no way in hades i'd be prevented from finishing the marathon. blood will spill (and not mine) if need be.

I think your sarcasm detection meter is broken, friendo!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [adablduya1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he was being sarcastic.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by adablduya1 [ In reply to ]
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Jewbaru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jewbaru wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:
I wish groups like this would put their energy and time towards correcting some of the root causes of the issue. Correcting internally the negative elements within their own thug, gang banger sub-culture, and at the same time working with the other side to do the same within racist white supremist sub-culture. You can't expect one side to try and fix their own problems if the other doesn't attempt to do the same or even recognize there are 2 sides to the issue.

Not sure what's more misguided and ill-informed, this comment, or the actions of the protesters.

You deny these sub-cultures exist, or you dispute that they aren't part of the core issue of the matter at hand? Or it's your opinion that it is in fact simply a 1 sided issue. Sorry, but I have a sister and a nephew that's part of this sub-culture. It does exist. They are part of the problem. Ignoring that, and you won't solve the issue.

It's like only trying to improve your power output but ignoring that your aerodynamics suck. You have to approach both to get faster. This protest is like trying to improve you power by throwing away your power tap and getting a stages just so that RChung and Coggan can tell you how stupid you are. It gets attention, but doesn't help you achieve your goals.

All publicity is not good publicity.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adablduya1 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Same here. I'd plow through however I can. This is ridiculous and if anything this protest will create more enemies than friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adablduya1 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
adablduya1 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

I think your sarcasm detection meter is broken, friendo!

no sarcasm here. and you ain't my friendo. frankly, you're something else i can't say here......

Ok, let me spell it out for you. You asked if I was being serious with my initial post. I explained that it was meant to be sarcastic, thus implying that no, I was not serious and that we are, in fact, in agreement.

Now what exactly were you going to call me?
Touchy crowd.. Must be the off season or something.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sounds like he's no friendo yours.

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:

You deny these sub-cultures exist, or you dispute that they aren't part of the core issue of the matter at hand? Or it's your opinion that it is in fact simply a 1 sided issue. Sorry, but I have a sister and a nephew that's part of this sub-culture. It does exist. They are part of the problem. Ignoring that, and you won't solve the issue.

It's like only trying to improve your power output but ignoring that your aerodynamics suck. You have to approach both to get faster. This protest is like trying to improve you power by throwing away your power tap and getting a stages just so that RChung and Coggan can tell you how stupid you are. It gets attention, but doesn't help you achieve your goals.

All publicity is not good publicity.

I like the analogy at the end there, well done, but you kind of alluded to what I was going to say: when you work to improve your aerodynamics, your best bet is to seek outside assistance from someone who can help fix the issues. It is not possible to fix issues with crime in low income, minority areas simply by working from within, action has to be taken on a much higher level.

I fully agree with your last sentence though, all publicity is not good, and this particular protest is a terrible, terrible idea.
Last edited by: Jewbaru: Sep 29, 15 13:40
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [grindmonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grindmonkey wrote:
I dare not say you are the only one... but for the life of me I cannot understand your thought process.

Yes, there are issues that need to be resolved on both sides of the aisle. Many people don't believe/ acknowledge it, but racism goes both ways in the world and we need to find a way to change that. But I ask how does stopping a bunch of people during a marathon, that they have dedicated time and money towards, seem like an equitable fashion to 'bring awareness' towards the issue. There are also people who run for a living... do these people reek of elitism? Other than being elite runners?

As others have said, there are ways to bring attention to issues in a positive light. If they follow through with this plan I believe it will not do anything to ease tensions and will only depict BLM negatively. I believe that the people that they are trying to gain support from are going to be the people who are negatively impacted the most by this.

Why not have groups of runners in BLM shirts run the race? Why not have BLM work aid stations? Why not have BLM sponsor part of the race? Why not contribute to this event and show BLM in a positive manner?

Why not you ask. Because that would be a reasonable thing to do.....and this is not a reasonable group. They are not interested in "reason". If you have followed this "cause" from the start you would know it was based on a total lie. Then quickly followed by our President and black celebrities/sports stars jumping on the bandwagon without verifying the facts to help perpetuate the lie. Over the past several months BLM has proved they are simply an anti-police "group" who protest whenever a white cop shoots a black perpetrator. Never any protests otherwise when a black is killed. It has nothing to do with "justice" or "racism". But enough ranting. Since blocking roadways is against the law in St. Paul, if I was the race organizer, I would get assurances from the Mayor and Police Chief that they will be there to enforce the law and keep the rodeway open. And if not, ask the city to provide refunds to all the participants.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
copperman wrote:
I would love someone to do this to my race. Could beat the shit out of a bunch of people and claim I was afraid for my life.

Geez... This is EXACTLY what they're hoping for. Just like Westboro Baptist Church protesting at military funerals, they're just LOOKING for some one to make a martyr at a "peaceful protest".

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
Why not you ask. Because that would be a reasonable thing to do.....and this is not a reasonable group. They are not interested in "reason". If you have followed this "cause" from the start you would know it was based on a total lie. Then quickly followed by our President and black celebrities/sports stars jumping on the bandwagon without verifying the facts to help perpetuate the lie. Over the past several months BLM has proved they are simply an anti-police "group" who protest whenever a white cop shoots a black perpetrator. Never any protests otherwise when a black is killed. It has nothing to do with "justice" or "racism". But enough ranting. Since blocking roadways is against the law in St. Paul, if I was the race organizer, I would get assurances from the Mayor and Police Chief that they will be there to enforce the law and keep the rodeway open. And if not, ask the city to provide refunds to all the participants.

The issues surrounding the shooting are one thing, the police reaction, the subsequent filmed shootings in other areas, the rampant victim blaming, and the disgusting and flat out racist comments around some of these goings on, are another. To only focus on the match that started the fire is ignoring the gasoline that's been poured over the kindling for decades.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:
Geez... This is EXACTLY what they're hoping for. Just like Westboro Baptist Church protesting at military funerals, they're just LOOKING for some one to make a martyr at a "peaceful protest".

My last post before moving on to more triathlon related postings...

I like how people think reacting violently won't land them in jail. Good luck finishing the race when you're tossed in the back of a police van.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Jewbaru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
delusions of grandeur....the average slowtwitch marathoner is not exactly built to blow through "traffic" like Earl Campell.
Last edited by: CharlesYTri: Sep 29, 15 16:19
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:

win

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [CharlesYTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CharlesYTri wrote:
False delusions of grandeur....the average slowtwitch marathoner is not exactly built to blow through "traffic" like Earl Campell.

wouldn't that be true delusions of grandeur?

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
Yes, the white supremacy at marathons has gone on long enough.

/thread over
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, and nice. I got a chuckle.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kill the white people
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFWTri wrote:
Or how about focusing on stop committing the crimes to begin with.

Is blocking an Ironman next on the agenda?

best post ever
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Jason80134 [ In reply to ]
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't we all be friendos?
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom Demerly wrote:
I say move the start line back 2 miles... secretly.

Heh.

That would be beyond awesome.
Quote Reply

Prev Next