Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [LuchaLibre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuchaLibre wrote:

Yeah, they tried that. It didn't really help. Cute meme though.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Racism is widespread, systemic, structural, manifests itself at the individual level consciously and unconsciously, and impacts people's daily lives in a way that those not impacted directly can't judge. Your perception is your reality -- it isn't reality. And here is some non anecdotal evidence:

http://poseidon01.ssrn.com/delivery.php?ID=259097009024031096115002018066096029123007000049022045107097126085098069105071121006031042029004023031050119098025122095126117047006035062014089090029008013117090027028042026020098102087030115081022073071070117014094023104104025107092086095115090116&EXT=pdf

http://pcl.stanford.edu/common/docs/research/gilliam/1999/primesuspects.pdf

http://fairandimpartialpolicing.com/docs/pob2.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Idiots!

ChrisM wrote:
Black lives matter protesters plan on a mile 25 blockade at Twin Cities and preventing runners from finishing, hoping that runners will "unite" with their cause........ what could go wrong?

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/...-lives-matter-plans/
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice try with the interweb sleuthing. I'm from a different country, which I could tell you about, but it likely would't change your preconceived ideas
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/...with-coleman-dayton/

Black Lives Matter Will Not Disrupt Twin Cities Marathon

October 1, 2015 12:27 PM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just an update: City and organization leaders met, there will be no planned interruption to the race.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/...with-coleman-dayton/
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Hot Tamales] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad that everyone came to their senses
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But it's not settled here yet...so there you go.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [wmoore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wmoore wrote:
Slowlane19 wrote:
If I was driving in a nice car out of a trailer park that is known to be a methamphetamine producer, I would expect to be pulled over and questioned.

Just to clarify, even if you've done nothing with the Meth lab, even if you didn't even know the meth lab was in the trailer park, even though you have absolutely no reason to believe that you have violated any law whatsoever, you would _EXPECT_ to be pulled over?

Yea, that seems like a reasonable position ...

I said "known". Before you speak, try to listen.

Merica!

�There ought to be something very special about the boundary conditions of the universe, and what can be more special than that there is no boundary?�- Stephen Hawking
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry for the cliche. it just happes to be true. I guess telling you I dated a black girl would be better? No? didn't think so. carry on
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
sorry for the cliche. it just happes to be true. I guess telling you I dated a black girl would be better? No? didn't think so. carry on

No responses to my other points, huh? No? Didn't think so.....carry on.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe they'll show up at the start line and block the runner's way
to the porta potties instead.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Slowlane19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowlane19 wrote:

Merica!

No, I read what you wrote just fine.

Known ... to who? The police? Sure. To everyone that enters and exits that community? I'm sure it's not. So I'm sure that there are plenty of people going in and out of this hypothetical community that have no clue that there's a meth lab in it. But, per your rules in your original post, it is perfectly valid for EVERYONE entering and exiting that happens to drive a nice car to be pulled over and detained for no KNOWN reason to them.

So again, in the situation you proposed, I go and visit my sick uncle and get pulled over on my way out for no known reason. And that seams reasonable to you? When I've done nothing even remotely wrong?

PS. Before you post, try not to make the assumption that everyone else is an idiot that can't read; we're not. Sometimes, just maybe, there might be other viewpoints other than your own that have just a bit of validity to them also.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [wmoore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wmoore wrote:
Slowlane19 wrote:

Merica!

Known ... to who? The police? Sure. To everyone that enters and exits that community? I'm sure it's not. So I'm sure that there are plenty of people going in and out of this hypothetical community that have no clue that there's a meth lab in it. But, per your rules in your original post, it is perfectly valid for EVERYONE entering and exiting that happens to drive a nice car to be pulled over and detained for no KNOWN reason to them.

So again, in the situation you proposed, I go and visit my sick uncle and get pulled over on my way out for no known reason. And that seams reasonable to you? When I've done nothing even remotely wrong?

PS. Before you post, try not to make the assumption that everyone else is an idiot that can't read; we're not. Sometimes, just maybe, there might be other viewpoints other than your own that have just a bit of validity to them also.

i believe i proposed the sick uncle in response to what he said.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [Slowlane19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowlane19 wrote:
wmoore wrote:
Slowlane19 wrote:
If I was driving in a nice car out of a trailer park that is known to be a methamphetamine producer, I would expect to be pulled over and questioned.

Just to clarify, even if you've done nothing with the Meth lab, even if you didn't even know the meth lab was in the trailer park, even though you have absolutely no reason to believe that you have violated any law whatsoever, you would _EXPECT_ to be pulled over?

Yea, that seems like a reasonable position ...

Merica!

Sad how many people are so willing to roll over on their civil rights......

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
wmoore wrote:
Slowlane19 wrote:

Merica!

i believe i proposed the sick uncle in response to what he said.
Yes, I think you did, but to him, anyone going into that "known" community for any reason is opening themselves up by "putting [them]self in that position." Even if that person has no way of knowing that they are going into a "known" meth area. So even though I'm going into the community for a perfectly valid, legal, responsible, and some would even say honorable reason of supporting a sick relative, under his proposal, "I'm putting myself in that position" to get pulled over and hassled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
the black friends you associate with (assuming they are from the same county) probably are significantly less experienced with normal everyday black man racism. not that they don't experience it. ask them, i'm sure they'll tell you. now imagine they didn't live in one of the wealthiest counties in america.

I want to add to what you wrote, which is extremely good stuff.

I'm an extremely privileged black person. And I've been lucky in interactions with police. No violence, no arrests. But I still have some anxiety, and I still noticed being followed when I was younger. So I was aware of those problems. But I growing up I didn't understood why my father, who grew up also privileged, but slightly less so, and in an earlier time, was so afraid of my travelling around the US when I was young. Or staying out at night. That changed recently, when social media and citizen-created video have shown what less privileged people experience, and what my father (he was a model citizen BTW - success in business, good schooling, clean-cut, civic engagement, etc).

PLUS stuff like James Blake's arrest and the arrest of Skip Gates have demonstrated that there is no level of accomplishment in the US that can protect us from this. You can go to Harvard, be on TV as winner in your field, dress nice, be standing still looking at your phone, and get assaulted for looking like someone else. (Who wasn't even the right guy in the first place.) If it can happen to him, it can happen to any of us.

I'll add that just as the lucky black people experience injustice from our justice system at a far lower rate than less fortunate ones, there is some of course some amount of injustice against white people as well. Much much less, but it happens. And frankly, if police were more accountable it would benefit everyone. That's why I'm flabbergasted by people here and in other places who denounce BLM by saying "What about XYX white guy who was abused by police? Does BLM they care about his?" Actually, most people in BLM would. And most black people would to. And even if they don't care much, they surely wish the police were better for everyone.

Lastly, it's taken me some time to be aware of really aware of gender issues, and my privilege as man. But I try to be aware of it, and improve myself. Not perfect, but I'm trying. This is not about guilt, it's about awareness. I don't go around saying "Women have been Secretary of State and headed some of the biggest companies in the world. Stop being a victim and complaining.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Post deleted by CharlesYTri [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Thought this would be good conversation, but all you are doing is putting your own spin on others opinions. I'm over it, I'll get back to my life that I thoroughly enjoy.

�There ought to be something very special about the boundary conditions of the universe, and what can be more special than that there is no boundary?�- Stephen Hawking
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Skip Gates and James Blake incidents are examples of police racism??? You might want to read beyond the initial news reports about those incidents. Unless you're part of the "hands up, don't shoot" crowd to which facts don't matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [PrinceMax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PrinceMax wrote:
The Skip Gates and James Blake incidents are examples of police racism???
Absolutely.

Incidents like both are far less likely to happen to white people. That's the criterion for it to be racism.

It needn't be the police saying or even thinking "I hate black guys, let's get him." It's tending to different treatment depending on race.

That's institutional racism.

In the Blake case, it's that undercover cops dealing with crime on the street, which involve black men a bit more, escalate to violence quickly. They don't do that for types of crime where the suspects are much more likely to be white. We don't see them jumping Wall Street guys as much. It's an institutional bias.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Last edited by: jt10000: Oct 1, 15 18:34
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [PrinceMax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PrinceMax wrote:
The Skip Gates and James Blake incidents are examples of police racism??? You might want to read beyond the initial news reports about those incidents. Unless you're part of the "hands up, don't shoot" crowd to which facts don't matter.

And there's the problem. So many people dont even understand what racism is, they just go around saying racism isnt a problem, it was created by the media,etc,etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PrinceMax wrote:

Exhibit A
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran yesterday and the only evidence of the protesters was a lady holding a sign at mile 25 stating "Your Race Matters." The police were not fucking around though, they rolled deep with an SUV lead for the first wheeler and and a platoon of motorcycle cops leading out the first runner. Any protesters that got in the way would have had their heads split open. I imagine the St. Paul police would have been happy to do it as the leader of this movement regularly holds press conferences stating that police are "tax funded killers" and are "paid to lie." As a native Minnesotan I find this completely fucking embarrassing regardless of the validity of their point. The proper Minnesota way to handle this would have been to have volunteered at a water stop and cheer the racers on.
Quote Reply
Re: Protesters plan on blocking twin cities marathon at mile 25 [wjc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wjc wrote:
Racism is widespread, systemic, structural, manifests itself at the individual level consciously and unconsciously, and impacts people's daily lives in a way that those not impacted directly can't judge. Your perception is your reality -- it isn't reality. And here is some non anecdotal evidence:

http://poseidon01.ssrn.com/delivery.php?ID=259097009024031096115002018066096029123007000049022045107097126085098069105071121006031042029004023031050119098025122095126117047006035062014089090029008013117090027028042026020098102087030115081022073071070117014094023104104025107092086095115090116&EXT=pdf

http://pcl.stanford.edu/common/docs/research/gilliam/1999/primesuspects.pdf

http://fairandimpartialpolicing.com/docs/pob2.pdf

No kidding. I'm left handed and people look down on me everywhere I go.
Quote Reply

Prev Next