Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Protein Powder... yep.. again...
Quote | Reply
This one is simple.

What's your favorite that is not a weight gainer type. Thinking along the lines of meal replacement... low/no sugar etc...

Thanks!

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Re: Protein Powder... yep.. again... [140pt6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love GNC's 100% whey protein after a hard run, bike, or leg workout. I use it only for muslce recovery.
I have been doing this for years. Chocolate tastes great.
Quote Reply
Re: Protein Powder... yep.. again... [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whole Foods House Brand Whey. Vanilla flavored.

cheers
S.

// qui audet adipiscitur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take Whey Isolate
MRI NO-Whey: Higher fat but thicker and taste good
Optimum Nutrition: Lean and gets the job done
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold...the best tasting, dissolves easy (no clumping whatsoever)...and is actually tolerable when mixed with water, unlike most other protein powders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any whey protein powder that is plain. The flavorings are just added processed sugar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the Hammer unflavored, mixes well, seems to be good quality. I have used the Trader Joe's brand, it is ok as well, they just don't make an unflavored version. I wish they did, it is a heck of a lot less expensive than the Hammer product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hammer vanilla whey mixed in a tall glass with chocolate silk. soy plus whey for a 40g protein slam, fast, (reasonably) cheap, and tasty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are truly replacing a meal and not just post workout/recovery stuff, then you will need more than just whey (and for just whey I would go with Optimum as was suggested, good flavor variety and easy mixability). I would suggest Muscle Milk as a meal replacement - blended protein sources with fast and slow proteins mixed, some good fats which your body needs, and a touch of sugar, but not so much thats a weight gainer, in addition to amazing array of delicious flavors.
Quote Reply
Re: Protein Powder... yep.. again... [spotticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you will need more than just whey

You beat me to it. AFAIK (and I am no nutritionist by any means), just using whey protein actually has minimal benefits. Your body is used to metabolizing natural proteins, and whey really only makes up a small part of that. It is really only a partial protein. Soy protein though, I have heard, is actually a complete protein, and is better for you, and easier to digest and absorb.

Like I said, I am no nutritionist, but this is what was told to me by a guy who is much more educated than me.

Quote Reply
Re: Protein Powder... yep.. again... [spotticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on the Muscle Milk, but I prefer the Muscle Milk Light since it has significantly fewer calories. I have a serving before bed, and one when I wake up. Currently doing fairly well in the weight loss challenge.

Quote | Reply
Trader Joes used to make a plain flavor. But that was 7 years ago when I last had a Trader Joes in my town.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This one is simple.

What's your favorite that is not a weight gainer type. Thinking along the lines of meal replacement... low/no sugar etc...

Thanks!

Like spotticus said, I think that 'meal replacement' and 'low/no sugar' are contradictory. The meal replacements are more along the lines of the weight gainers.
(I often do 'meal-replace' with plain whey though).

I buy from the protein factory. You can custom build your own protein...so you can pick flavors and sweeteners...and they have a stevia option. The price is good too if you stay away from the options that cost extra.

Here's what I just got...

http://proteinfactory.com/...amp;cat=1&page=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beef, chicken, pork, fish. Your body know what to do with it ;-)

Seriously though, I've never been a supplement guy. I'm surprised how many answers talk about protein powders with sugar, carbs, fat etc? I always thought "protein powder" was protein only.

If many protein powders have carbs and fats in them what's the advantage over actual high protein food?

Styrrell
Last edited by: smtyrrell99: Jan 28, 09 11:56
Quote Reply
Re: Protein Powder... yep.. again... [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can only ever find the Vanilla and chocolate flavors, and they tast odd to me. I will ask next time I go shopping at TJ's, maybe I just have to ask them to stock it?
Quote Reply
Re: Protein Powder... yep.. again... [onabubble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also use GNC's 100% whey powder. I only use it though if I am not going to be able to make it home or a place to eat right after a workout. I guess its better than nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+ 1 for Optimum Nutrition. No clumping - mixes w/a spoon. Great prices and service at bodybuilding.com.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vega! The best stuff out there. Healthiest and highest quality plus none of the artificial sweetners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iron-Tek® Essential Natural 100% Protein with Micellar Casein, Wild Strawberry flavor. Mmmmmmmmmm.
Tastes fine with just water.

~ AB ~
Quote Reply
Re: Protein Powder... yep.. again... [Occam's Razor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whey is 100% natural and 100% complete

but yes by all means dump a banana and some milk in the shake for some carbs which will assist in uptake and make it taste not like ass

In Reply To:
you will need more than just whey

You beat me to it. AFAIK (and I am no nutritionist by any means), just using whey protein actually has minimal benefits. Your body is used to metabolizing natural proteins, and whey really only makes up a small part of that. It is really only a partial protein. Soy protein though, I have heard, is actually a complete protein, and is better for you, and easier to digest and absorb.

Like I said, I am no nutritionist, but this is what was told to me by a guy who is much more educated than me.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bad, it looks like you're right, whey is considered a complete protein. As I said, that was just something I was told.
Now that I'm sitting here researching, it does look like soy could (Note: I am only saying COULD) actually be a better choice for endurance athletes, though. It actually puts much less stress on the kidneys, which can often be stressed by the free radicals caused by endurance workouts. It looks like it is also better at boosting the metabolism to accelerate fat loss.

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/soyvswhy.htm

Just a thought, since everyone posting here seems to be taking whey powder.
Quote Reply
Re: Protein Powder... yep.. again... [Occam's Razor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Soy also may reduce testosterone levels

honestly i'm fairly certain from years of anecdotal observation that it totally doesn't matter, soy, whey, egg, rice and beans, whatever.

My girlfriend is vegetarian and holds up to endurance running abuse as well as I do with my meat and protein shakes....and shes faster..damnit

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
honestly i'm fairly certain from years of anecdotal observation that it totally doesn't matter, soy, whey, egg, rice and beans, whatever.

Agreed, that's why I don't use powders. I like eating real food.

And just as a side note, that whole soy reducing testosterone thing doesn't seem to be concretely proven:

from wikipedia:

A recent study found that 56g of soy protein powder per day caused serum testosterone to fall 4% in four weeks in a test group of twelve healthy males (Please note, there was an error in the abstract that said 19%, and this figure was erroneously reported by the media. If you read the article, you will see that it reports 4% and not 19%. Please see the following Web site for a more complete analysis of this study and the error in its abstract: http://findarticles.com/...is_9_25/ai_n27410483.). According to the study, this data supports further studies of these hormonal effects as a mechanism in prostate cancer prevention. [17] However, a study conducted by the Miami Research Associates refutes the finding of the Goodin study, finding that soy protein had no significant impact on testosterone levels in healthy males. [18] In fact, only one participant in the Goodin study actually saw a drop in testosterone. The participant in question had testosterone levels 200% higher than all of the other subjects, and during the study, his levels dropped to bring him in line with the other participants. The Goodin study did not conclusively suggest that the participant's erratic testosterone levels were related to the soy protein.
Quote Reply
Re: Protein Powder... yep.. again... [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold...the best tasting, dissolves easy (no clumping whatsoever)...and is actually tolerable when mixed with water, unlike most other protein powders.
+1. DPS has optimum cheap too, for like $23-25 for 5lbs. Way better tasting than GNC or EAS.
Quote Reply

Prev Next