Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pros racing as age groupers
Quote | Reply
What are the rules regarding professionals racing as age groupers in Ironman races? Can a professional race as an age grouper or be on a relay with other age groupers?
Quote Reply
Re: Pros racing as age groupers [fitzkickjr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK here we go again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fitzkickjr wrote:
What are the rules regarding professionals racing as age groupers in Ironman races? Can a professional race as an age grouper or be on a relay with other age groupers?

Are you asking because of Chris McDonald being part of a relay in Buffalo Springs?
Quote Reply
Re: Pros racing as age groupers [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I might have noticed that. Was there already a thread relating to it? I wasn't there, nor have I ever been apart of a relay; but I wouldn't be happy to be knocked off the podium by a team that had a pro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But would you be happy to be on a team that beat a team a pro was on? I find it funny that people would be mad about losing to a team that a pro was on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He had a slow rider and he did not run fast, so it would not take much to beat his relay. :)

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can have professional swimmer/biker/runners on relays. That happens fairly frequently. Just usually a mid/lower level single sport pro so no one cares.

No clue why you'd be bothered by a professional triathlete doing one leg of a relay. They don't even fully specialize in any individual event.

Pros are people trying to get better, just like amateurs. If you don't want to race. Don't pin on a number.
Quote Reply
Re: Pros racing as age groupers [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oprfcc wrote:
You can have professional swimmer/biker/runners on relays. That happens fairly frequently. Just usually a mid/lower level single sport pro so no one cares.

No clue why you'd be bothered by a professional triathlete doing one leg of a relay. They don't even fully specialize in any individual event.

Pros are people trying to get better, just like amateurs. If you don't want to race. Don't pin on a number.

^This. We wouldn't want to race somebody faster than ourselves would we!
Quote Reply
Re: Pros racing as age groupers [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're on a relay team, and care that much about a podium, then you have a problem. Relays are for beginners and people who have a slight interest in possibly doing a tri one day. If you're a type A personality and wanna win that bad, don't do the relay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a current Olympian race in my age group in a sprint distance race, can't say i was too bothered. It's racing and you're going get beaten by faster guys.
Quote Reply
Re: Pros racing as age groupers [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just asking if there are rules about it. I've never noticed it done before and thought it strange.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fitzkickjr wrote:
I'm just asking if there are rules about it. I've never noticed it done before and thought it strange.

Same here....don't really have an opinion on it, but did find it odd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fitzkickjr wrote:

Seems like there should be no rule about a pro triathlete being a part of a relay when an olympic level single sport athlete can, and would likely crush the pro triathlete in their chosen discipline.
Quote Reply
Re: Pros racing as age groupers [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pros can race in age group races but will see them listed as a Pro and not listed in an age group in the results.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Challenge has done this a lot with their athletes. I know Macca used to do relays, well when he wasn't DNFing races himself. I don't think it would really matter if a elite was on a relay unless they had a elite only relay race and they didn't do that race. Anytime their isn't a elite race anyone can show up. Heck, ask Thomas Gerlach about Wisconsin last year! Not everyone likes the rules since it took the win away from some AGer. Ask him about it or find that thread, that was a good one...

I raced against Lukas Verzbikas and a handful of other elites a few years ago at a local Oly. Sucked because I got my ass handed to me but didn't really care at all.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no rule against it. They can race an AG only Ironman branded race but will not be listed in an AG specific results (ie M30-34). They will be listed as PRO. However, they will show up in the overall results.

The only rule is that they can't take world championship slots.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Pros racing as age groupers [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Challenge has done this a lot with their athletes. I know Macca used to do relays, well when he wasn't DNFing races himself. I don't think it would really matter if a elite was on a relay unless they had a elite only relay race and they didn't do that race. Anytime their isn't a elite race anyone can show up. Heck, ask Thomas Gerlach about Wisconsin last year! Not everyone likes the rules since it took the win away from some AGer. Ask him about it or find that thread, that was a good one...

I raced against Lukas Verzbikas and a handful of other elites a few years ago at a local Oly. Sucked because I got my ass handed to me but didn't really care at all.

When I race, all I can control is my effort and how I can do against the clock. All the other stuff I cannot control, so I do not worry about it!

There are SO many other athletes which are so much better than 99% of the Triathletes, that do not need to race for their ego's, that all the slice and dicing that happens to get to our ego's and money, I just smile.

If folks would just be happy to get to the starting line, by looking around at so many people who will NEVER have the health to do it, life is a lot more fun.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fitzkickjr wrote:

IMO sort of a douche move as an active Pro....

"Hey girl / bud, wanna win the relay next weekend so you can feel great about your otherwise shitty life?.....I'll help you out!"

But hey, I am just an judgemental old fart, who probably would turn down such an offer from a female Pro, even though I feel pretty shitty about my life.
Quote Reply
Re: Pros racing as age groupers [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
oprfcc wrote:

^This. We wouldn't want to race somebody faster than ourselves would we!

This!

I only want to compete against other mediocre athletes!!!

Haha

What are the complainers gonna do when they hit 40 and the elites "retire" to AG racing?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by zedzded [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: zedzded: Jun 30, 17 0:45
Re: Pros racing as age groupers [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

You are an exception :)

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Pros racing as age groupers [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
salmonsteve wrote:
You are an exception :)

Oh stop it you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Who are these age groupers who work 37.5hrs? They're clearly not committed enough. Part timers.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a big overlap in the standard of the best AGers and the worst pros. It's the choice of the athlete so there are AGers that could and should be pro, pro's that probably shouldn't be, and people who alternate between AG and Pro racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it not better to brag about a second place when you can add: "But the first one was a pro" instead of winning and having to add "in my agegroup" ?
Quote Reply

Prev Next