Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Narrative control

colinlaughery wrote:
No way he was using that. Can someone find a picture to prove this?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [blanco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can remember reading in the Enve wheel booklet that they advise against using latex tubes...
I gather that the reason they state this is due to the latex heating up a bit faster than butyl from braking... The increased heat leads to increased psi and a slightly higher chance of the tyre rolling off the rim.
I can remember posting about this when I read about enve wheels/latex tubes and the feedback that I got from a few guys was that it was fine... Perhaps more of an issue with down hill descents etc as opposed to limited braking in triathlon.
That's my take on it anyway, I could be wrong :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Wrong tire, tube and helmet. Brother needs to get a slowtwitch account.
Quote Reply
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this makes me think..... all pros should be using the same gear for the bike, of course sized to their body... then who would come out on top?
Quote Reply
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought that was strange too.
Quote Reply
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [PT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PT wrote:
renorider wrote:
How unspeakably awesome would it be if he was actually running 4000S with one-off Gatorskin logos, just to whip Teh Internetz into a frenzy?!

Or to help sell Gatorskins? Wouldn't be the first time a tyre wasn't what it said on the label.

Those are def. real Gatorskins. The sidewall is very distinctive (vs GP4000s, Supersonics, etc.).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exactly. so much fail, yet one of the few rich triathletes!

(assuming he was paid to ride Gatorskins as he likely was to use that Rudy helmet. Or maybe he got it at a HUGE discount at the expo like the rest of us?)

3Aims wrote:

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Andy Potts is coached by Tom Demerly

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=1829433#p1829433

Nick started to talk about tires but then they both got distracted by the light sabers ;)

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
TriRig wrote:
colinlaughery wrote:
No way he was using that. Can someone find a picture to prove this?

Let there be no doubt. This is from Andy on course in Kona last year, riding the 25c Gatorskins. First is the full shot, then closeups of the wheels (just crops of the same image). It's a little tough to read, but they were Gatorskins both front and rear. The good news is that he's seen the light and is on faster rubber this year.

I am really confused, Nick, have you not been Andy's service course advisor for quite some time? Didn't I hear on TRS interview last year that you had just outfitted Potts bike with a TriRig brake. Did you not have a discussion with him regarding tires?

Last edited by: ericM40-44: Apr 23, 16 3:40
Quote Reply
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just going to go out on a limb and say this is one of the three or four best posts that encapsulates what ST is all about. Cheating rants, witch hunts, T3 types, the cranks that shall not be named, and following races "live" are my other favorites.

sp1ke wrote:
For the love of God... why?
I remember that Potts mentioned he averaged 300+W in Kona last year. At the time I though that should have netted a faster split but I read this today and there it is... GATORSKINS!

Quote:

For 2016, Potts is taking a renewed focus on equipment, looking to improve on his 4th-place at last year's Ironman World Championships in Hawaii. Fortunately, there was quite a bit of low-hanging fruit. Wheels and tires, for example. Last year in Hawaii, Andy was riding 25mm GATORSKIN tires with butyl tubes!!! The switch to GP4000 + Latex might alone be worth several minutes. Upgrading to Enve wheels, ceramicspeed bearings and chain, and significant position refinements are all going to add up to some significant savings for Potts. I'm really excited as a fan of the sport to see what he does.

http://www.tririg.com/galleries.php?id=2016_04_Andy_Potts_Signs_TriRig_Omega_X&num=6#Andy's Rig with Omega X Brakes

Quote Reply
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:

And we haven't even considered the frame / body position yet!

that's been getting better (finally!) over the years... although frame is least of his worries.

and you might want to penalize for an ill-fitting suit, if his attention to detail is bad in that area too.

Helmet is what it is, it's a sponsor. It may even work for him.

Quote Reply
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:

Keep in mind, Potts started out in ITU, so he might have spent too much time with more road racing focused individuals.

another point... I've not seen good technical knowledge out of USAT elite program from what I've very briefly seen and heard.

Quote Reply
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
QFT

renorider wrote:
How unspeakably awesome would it be if he was actually running 4000S with one-off Gatorskin logos, just to whip Teh Internetz into a frenzy?!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if he rode at 300w last year, you're saying that its the equivalent of someone with all the aero, low rr, drive chain and wheels sorted out who was riding at 260? if he changes all that this year and rides at 300w, its not the equivalent of 340, its just maximising the benefit of riding at 300. he'd still be riding at 300, just that would now be the equivalent of someone riding at 340 who makes shit choices - is that correct?
Quote Reply
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope he isn't saying that.

Same weight, same or similar position on the bike, we assume he is using same helmet because of sponsor etc.

It ISN'T 40 watts LOL. Please show me the math. Another blatant example of great knowledge on Slowtwitch but an extraordinary lack of knowledge of basic Physics. You can't just backseat quarterback this thing and assume he has an extra 40 watts in his quiver and rides off the front solo to come into T2 5 minutes ahead. That's not how the pro race works. Sure we can argue energy expenditure and he runs a little bit better but that is so subjective.

Im not arguing that its huge low hanging fruit but its not 40 watts worth.
Quote Reply
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [McBoyler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont think I suggested it was - I questioned whether whatever the number was, be it 1, 2, 10 or 40 or more if the point being made was that if someone, all things being equal, did all the correct things - position, latex, tires, drive chain etc, they could ride at that much lower power and finish in the same time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apologies I wasn't referring back to you. The post above you were asking about. Theoretically absolutely they could ride at a lower power at the exact same time. The major point I was making is it isn't 40 watts like some here are suggesting thats all.

It's also hard to sit back and wonder would Potts have rode 300 watts regardless. There are too many dynamics in the men's bike to make that call.

My post came off a little harsh. Sincere apologies. I just cringe when people make blind statements about numbers they don't fully understand. No offense towards anyone. I'm a student of the sport as much as anyone else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're right,

The important number isn't 20 or 40 or 60 watts it's 25-95$ thousand. His coach also likely lost 10% of that.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:

better yet, BeginnerTriathlete.com account!
Quote Reply
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree. Was just making a point about the numbers - that's all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McBoyler wrote:
I hope he isn't saying that.

Same weight, same or similar position on the bike, we assume he is using same helmet because of sponsor etc.

It ISN'T 40 watts LOL. Please show me the math. Another blatant example of great knowledge on Slowtwitch but an extraordinary lack of knowledge of basic Physics. You can't just backseat quarterback this thing and assume he has an extra 40 watts in his quiver and rides off the front solo to come into T2 5 minutes ahead. That's not how the pro race works. Sure we can argue energy expenditure and he runs a little bit better but that is so subjective.

You can look up the watts saved via rolling resistance for latex vs butyl (2+ watts per tube) and 4000S vs Gators (8-10 watts per tire). So there's at least 20 watts on tires and tubes. Not 40 but 20-25. Not insignificant.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't say? I obviously would have made that snarky comment on an internet forum without having looked that up before.

Quote:

Again, I am not sure how this is getting lost in translation. I'm NOT arguing it isn't low hanging fruit. But 40 watts and we are potentially talking about course records being broken. It's physics man, not rocket science.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McBoyler wrote:
You don't say? I obviously would have made that snarky comment on an internet forum without having looked that up before.

Quote:

Again, I am not sure how this is getting lost in translation. I'm NOT arguing it isn't low hanging fruit. But 40 watts and we are potentially talking about course records being broken. It's physics man, not rocket science.

For sure,

I think people are talking about 40 watts total with helmet, frame, tires, etc "maybe" that puts him off the bike in the lead or at least close.

AP'S run is now getting close to FOP...maybe he gets there this year, not sure about the bike, hopefully Damon is working on something better.

Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: Apr 23, 16 14:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly I don't know what he can ride now with a better setup. And yes in all modesty please teach me physics. I'm here to learn. It does continue to amaze me how many watts the pros ride and how "relatively" slow they go. I'm probably missing something. I'll fully admit that.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
soo.. another way of getting a better workout is slapping crappier tires on your bike so you can push more watts. then on race day you slap latex, 4000s, the carbon wheelset and go faster pushing the same watts?

is that what folks do?
Quote Reply
Re: Pros on Gatorskins [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
soo.. another way of getting a better workout is slapping crappier tires on your bike so you can push more watts. then on race day you slap latex, 4000s, the carbon wheelset and go faster pushing the same watts? is that what folks do?

Not sure what the pros do, but I have 1 set of training wheels and 1 set of race wheels. Training wheels: 32 hole mavic open pros with ultegra hubs and, yes, conti gatorskins in 25 mm (the biggest size that fits in my frame) with run of the mill butyl tubes. Race wheels: clincher zipp 808s with conti supersonic tires and latex tubes. I do indeed go lots faster on race day. Plus, it makes in easier to keep the race wheels ready and true.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply

Prev Next