Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pros and Cons of owning Champion Chip
Quote | Reply

Gotta renew my USAT membership and they offer a Champion Chip for like $40. I've always just used the chip provided by the race cause I figure it's cuts down on the things that can go wrong but does anyone have a compelling argument for owning your own? Has anyone had any problems with it not snycing up or organizers making you use theirs?

SM
Quote Reply
Re: Pros and Cons of owning Champion Chip [skid marks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought mine about 4 years ago based on the selling point at the time that races would rebate a dollar or two from the race fee if you owned your chip and didn't need a chip provided by the race. The proposed advantage was your personal chip would more than pay for itself after a certain number of races. However, I've never seen a rebate offered at any of the 10 or so running or triathlon races I've done each year since then, nor have heard of any other races offering rebates. The other selling point at the time was that all of your race results would be maintained in a "national database" under your chip number. I never really understood the appeal for that. So, unless I'm missing something, I really don't think there is a practical reason for owning a chip. In fact, I don't even use mine anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Pros and Cons of owning Champion Chip [The Herminator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never seen a rebate offered either. Also, some races won't even let you use your own chip. I say skip it, I see no real use to have a chip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have seen several lying on the bottom of the pool in diff sprints I've done. The velcro does not stay put as well as the plastic strap they give you at check-in.

"Nothing in life ever just happens. Calculated progression insures your strength."
Shawn Spencer
Bike Cycles
Wilmington, NC
http://www.bikecycleshop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pros and Cons of owning Champion Chip [Shawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have my own chip,got it for volunteering at a bunch of races when I was just starting to race again. I have yet to use it in the 2 yrs I've had it.
To be honest I didn't race this season for a number of factors.
Save your money and take the significant other out as a thank you for putting up with all my training.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of chips....I love how ironman usa switched to the hard plastic chip straps that cut into your bone. and then to add insult to injury, they will sell you a neoprene strap for 8.00 dollars right next to chip pickup. nice.
Quote Reply