Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prologue FIT and effort guage
Quote | Reply
Perhaps this question is better asked on fasttwitch.com, but I'm going to be doing a 8k prologue event as part of stage race May 10th. I know that for a GC rider, the race isn't won in the prologue, but it can be lost. The course is FLAT with one 90 degree turn at the halfway point. It is not technical at all. Has anyone ridden such a short TT? Did you make changes to your position. With such a short distance, do you just go out 100% and fade for 10 minutes, or pace yourself like you would in a 40k; just faster, leaving less in "reserve"? How about equipment changes? Comfort really isn't an issue, what do you do to be more comfortable and less aero? Should I reverse those steps? From provisional tests, I expect to average about 28.5 mph, I know that aerodynamics play an important role at these speeds, I don't want to miss anything equipment-wise.

Thanks for the tips,

SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Prologue FIT and effort guage [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the stage races i have done i always used a time trial bike and went all out,the effort for a short distance never seemed to bother me, you might have a few hours before your next race so you can rest up.If it is being done on Time having a good Prologue can really help your standings,I would get a good TT sit in in the Crit,finish with pack time will be the same for all of pack then try to get a good road race=top ten most times,at least for me.Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Prologue FIT and effort guage [randall t] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The stage race is on time, not points. There is not crit, just a circut race with a hill and time bonus sprints. The road race is run over Paris-Roubaix like conditions.

Did you make any changes to the TT position? I've got a tri bike now, and have been gradually riding a lower and lower front end position, and tilting the aerobars downward toward the front wheel. I know we speak of compromises in comfort vs. aerodynamics. What are they? I'm willing to give up some comfort for some aerodynamics here!

here's the link to the race:

http://f4.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cDaxPvtaCvfAmIhXxn2VJdLSu-1k9ajxQ5RF134w9IpaVeyVfXYwGm3d_5uUnD7fYZv_vfCnaQOjegHitnGEA5xSQ2Y/TOURofSEMIflyer.pdf

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Prologue FIT and effort guage [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been a couple of years since I did a TT that short, but the last one I did was around 10k. It was long enough that you do need to pace yourself, as the lactic acid buildup will be excruciating in the last 3-4 minutes. I did not make any changes to my TT position or equipment either, although it used to be quite "aggressive" (I'm 5' 10" and was riding with about a 20 cm armrest drop). I approached the pace kind of like this, assuming a 10 minute TT:

first 30 seconds - flat out to accelerate to target average speed.

Next 4 minutes - back off a bit to RPE 90% should be maintaining speed

next 3 minutes - RPE 95% should still be maintaining speed

rest of the way - RPE 100% (here's where it gets painful). should still be maintaining speed, or slightly faster.

As I recall, I managed to average ~27.5 mph over 6 miles using that strategy, the course had 2 small climbs and one turnaround. Also, very important not to be overgeared, if you are the acid builds up really quickly, as the entire ride is done at slightly over your AT.

Good luck.

J.
Quote Reply