Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Probably Dumb Newbie IMAZ Questions
Quote | Reply
First IM (I've done a bunch of 70.3), 50 year old MOPer. Thanks in advance for your help.

1. Anyone know the historical water temps? Heard stories of people getting out of the water and it being super cold. Will I need a neoprene hat or booties?

2. Targeting a finish between 12 - 13 hrs. Sunset in Tempe on Nov 24th is 5:21pm, so I'll obviously be finishing in the dark. Will I want a light jacket or arm warmers or anything?

3. How does special needs work? I.e. is it fast, or a cluster? I get off my bike and run into a sea of bags hoping to find mine quickly, or do the awesome volunteers help?

4. Any recommended insider tips?

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Probably Dumb Newbie IMAZ Questions [JackArbor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year the water temp was 59 as I recall. To me, that’s pretty cold. But the bigger issue is that you don’t get a chance to ease in and get used to the water. You march down a ramp and just go for it. When that cold water hits your face it can be breathtaking. I didn’t use a neoprene cap or booties. And I had a great swim!

It was quite pleasant that evening after dark. I can’t imagine needing any extra gear other than whatever you normally race in.

I didn’t like the special needs setup on the bike leg. The volunteers did not hand you your bag while you rolled by. You had to come to a stop. They were pretty quick getting my bag but I much prefer to roll through.

Tips...
Definitely do the practice swim the day or so before to get an idea of the water temp.
Prepare to dress warm prior to the swim start. It will be a cold morning.
Don’t show up thinking the whole course is flat like I did. There’s a pretty good hill on the run course that you’ll have to do twice.

Good luck and enjoy it. It’s a great course!

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Re: Probably Dumb Newbie IMAZ Questions [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thechromedome wrote:
Last year the water temp was 59 as I recall. To me, that’s pretty cold. But the bigger issue is that you don’t get a chance to ease in and get used to the water. You march down a ramp and just go for it. When that cold water hits your face it can be breathtaking. I didn’t use a neoprene cap or booties. And I had a great swim!

It was quite pleasant that evening after dark. I can’t imagine needing any extra gear other than whatever you normally race in.

I didn’t like the special needs setup on the bike leg. The volunteers did not hand you your bag while you rolled by. You had to come to a stop. They were pretty quick getting my bag but I much prefer to roll through.

can't argue with any of this. agree on the air temp after sunset. it will be pleasantly cool and as long as you're moving you'll be fine.

Quote:
Tips...

Definitely do the practice swim the day or so before to get an idea of the water temp.
Prepare to dress warm prior to the swim start. It will be a cold morning.
Don’t show up thinking the whole course is flat like I did. There’s a pretty good hill on the run course that you’ll have to do twice.

Good luck and enjoy it. It’s a great course!

Cheers,

i would personally NOT swim in tempe town lake at all before the race. it is gross. i never do practice swims, personally, unless the water is pretty dang clean (so i mostly never do practice swims). the chances of getting sick increase and who wants that?

the run course consists of almost entirely false flats and one pronounced uphill per lap (that's perhaps 1/2mi long) with a corresponding downhill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JackArbor wrote:

1. Anyone know the historical water temps? Heard stories of people getting out of the water and it being super cold. Will I need a neoprene hat or booties?

Expect lower 60s. It was 20c (68F) on Nov 7 according to whoever does lake quality

JackArbor wrote:
2. Targeting a finish between 12 - 13 hrs. Sunset in Tempe on Nov 24th is 5:21pm, so I'll obviously be finishing in the dark. Will I want a light jacket or arm warmers or anything?
You should be fine. If you have any concerns just toss in a pair of light arm sleeves in your run special needs bag. Better to have it & not need it then need it and not have it.

JackArbor wrote:
3. How does special needs work? I.e. is it fast, or a cluster? I get off my bike and run into a sea of bags hoping to find mine quickly, or do the awesome volunteers help?

You have to stop, tell them your #, they go get your bag. They are mostly kids working that and their sense of urgency can be lacking at times, or at least that's what I've seen at several races over the last few years. But again better to lose 1 minute there then need something and lose 35 min later in the race bc you bonked

JackArbor wrote:
Don't ride the first lap like it's the last. Always keep the last 10 miles of the run in mind when you make decisions on the bike, sunscreen is your friend. There were a lot of athletes who were pasty white to start the race only to be rather red at the finish.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This will be my 4th IM AZ - age 51 - 13 - 14 hour
- swim, agree with prior post - go to swim day before to check out the temp. Race day, I have a water bottle with me so while I wait I dump water in my suit and on face to help acclimate to what it will feel like when I get in water - kind of takes care of that initial - whoa that's cold. I didn't think it was super cold last year - but it depends on your tolerance. I live in WA state - so we rarely swim in warm water. :)

- I haven't warn anything after dark- but special needs is easy to get to and there are great volunteers there as it's located right near transition area. the desert to me is dry vs my damp home :) - again decide based on where you live and what you are used to.

Just a note, I do bring warm gear to race as 15 is rained and it was terrible. I spectated that year. The last two years the weather looked to be rain and then by race day all clear.

https://www.thehappytriathlete.com/blog-1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JackArbor wrote:
First IM (I've done a bunch of 70.3), 50 year old MOPer. Thanks in advance for your help.

All the other replies give good insight on this race, if you are traveling to Tempe, bring booties and Neoprene Hat- The lake temps have varied over the years and some years i've worn 2 latex caps and last year I had neoprene hat & booties. Lake temps are influenced by overnight low temps, last year was a cold year. Really important: bring a headlamp in the morning since it will still be dark thru 6:30a or so.

2. Targeting a finish between 12 - 13 hrs. Sunset in Tempe on Nov 24th is 5:21pm, so I'll obviously be finishing in the dark. Will I want a light jacket or arm warmers or anything? Other replies are spot on, keep running and you won't be cold, depending on forecasts i will toss arm warmers in my special needs bag.

3. How does special needs work? I.e. is it fast, or a cluster? I get off my bike and run into a sea of bags hoping to find mine quickly, or do the awesome volunteers help? As others mentioned you will stop. As you approach Special Needs, last year they had athlete #'s 100-300, 300-600, etc so you had a better idea of where you needed to stop. They bring you your bag, i've been lucky - They hold it for you while you get stuff out, - then ride on. - PS. This course if infamous for flats, so having a tube and co2 in SN's is a good idea.

Your 70.3 experience has prepped you for a great race, here is what i feel are my must do for this race: 1. Smoke or mirrored goggles for the swim- as we swim into the sun. 2. Mark your Transition and SN bags with bright duct tape so they stand out in the sea of bags- like bright green on the sides- easy to spot and grab if a volunteer is not available. Also gives your fans a target for photo ops. 3. Ride defensively, it does get windy (windier as the day progresses) and many inexperienced riders, renting deep wheels, go 3 wide, and begin swerving. Yell when making a pass to let them know you are there. 4. Local Triathlon shop is nearby, Moxie Multi-Sport, has everything you need. 5. Have a great race!

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Probably Dumb Newbie IMAZ Questions [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, thank you so much. Super helpful.

I did Arizona 70.3 last year and remember the steps. Don't slip, then plunge in. Didn't bother me too much, but that was in October, so I'll be bringing the cap and booties. And I agree about the water quality, not great. But whatever. I heard they found algae a week ago, so hopefully they don't cancel the swim.

Arm warmers sound like a good idea.

And yes, good advice about the bike. I went out too fast at Boulder 70.3 this year. I'm passing people left and right, then of course blew up on the run. Definitely lesson learned.

I really appreciate everyone's help. See you out there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Arizona in 2018 and agree with the previous posters that the swim was cold. Everyone is different regarding their tolerance of cold in the swim. I didn’t have a neoprene cap on and regretted it as I got cold in the last third of the swim leading to calf cramps and a pretty miserable time. Came out shivering and it took me a while to warm up and loosen up. There were certainly many people worse off than I was who needed medical assistance.

I finished around 14 hours and didn’t find the run cold at all with a running singlet and shorts on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JackArbor wrote:

Thanks in advance!

If it looks like it might rain, throw a small trash bag into your spec needs bag - you can use it as a temporary poncho. Works really well.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Probably Dumb Newbie IMAZ Questions [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
JackArbor wrote:

Thanks in advance!

If it looks like it might rain, throw a small trash bag into your spec needs bag - you can use it as a temporary poncho. Works really well.

I remember.. I think it was 2014. It was FREEZING during the run due to the rain. It'll get down pretty cool at night (50s maybe?) and combined with rain, it can get cold. IF it rains. Otherwise, yeah, it's outstanding running weather at night in Nov.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Low 60s it can be up to mid 60s. Wetsuit is enough. Water quality not as bad as reported. It's okay.

2) It gets cold immediately after sunset. Yeah a light jacket in special needs if you don't like cold.

3) Bags bunched up in a pile against an embankment along the run course about 1/2 mile out of transition to the north. Volunteers help because you aren't finding anything there on your own.

4) Park early at the multistory parking garage near transition. Make sure your bottle cages are solid or you will be launching bottles. Yeah pavement is that rough. The bike course is not flat. It is a false flat all the way to the turnaround. Run course will play games with your mind because they have you running toward the finish and run past it several times. Drop a 2nd CO2 and 2nd tube into bike special needs. And a savory snack. It is a long day. Be prepared for headwind on the uphill portion of the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The weather in AZ that time of year can be a fickle thing to predict... I volunteered in '15 to get a spot for my 1st IM in '16, and the thing that stood out about that race was the rain/cold many encountered on the bike, and the frozen body's crossing the finishing line at night... Needless to say it was a mind-f to witness some of the carnage...

As an adult onset swimmer, I was most concerned with the swim portion of the race leading into the '16 race, and after '15, the concern that rain could come in... I did IMSG 70.3 as a lead in to IMAZ and hit those crappy conditions on the bike... I froze my 60yr old self to the core... However, the swim at IMAZ turned out to be the best part of the race for me. Wetsuit legal, and no issues with being cold. I only encountered a bit of drizzle on the run...

Flash forward to IMAZ '18. This was supposed to be my 2nd IM, and as I had such a 'good' swim in '16, was not all that concerned about completing it. Was just going to take my time and enjoy it... Nope. Frikin' cold... When I finally exited the swim, I was already exhausted and freezing. Then I faced that stupid new run to t1 on frozen stumps... 2nd lap of bike I called it quits. Burned way to many matches on the swim, and knew I didn't have a mary in me even if I completed the bike...

Turns out I would never have completed the run anyway. Had a big gash on my foot that I obviously received on the way up to t1.

Now I'm facing that stupid run change to t1 at IMAZ 70.3 this weekend! (But I doubt will have frozen feet this time)

So, I know that may not answer your question, but my advice is to be prepared for all types of conditions you may face in Nov... I'll be saying a prayer to the tri-gods for decent conditions as my sons competing in his first full... But they seldom listen too me...
Quote Reply
Re: Probably Dumb Newbie IMAZ Questions [TommyTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Booties are always an option if the water is as cold as it has been. I will likely wear some simply because it will make the run to T1 SIGNIFICANTLY more tolerable, even if they are purportedly slightly slower while swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: Probably Dumb Newbie IMAZ Questions [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey all - thank you for the responses, super helpful.

I remember the run from the swim out to T1 at AZ70.3 last year as being ridiculously long, like a quarter mile or something. Guess it'll be the same at IMAZ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well that changed the swim for the half Reversed It so now the run is .45mi

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply