Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pro triathletes $
Quote | Reply
How are pro triathletes doing financially? Not much race money these days but are sponsors still paying? Anyone have to get a day job?
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathletes $ [alfonzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nahh,I do not do racing to get paid but with the way the system is at this moment and the elections coming. up november ,i do not think any racer will be getting or has. been getting paid..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work full-time in the off-season as a management consultant. This year I have remained working full-time during the racing season in light of the race cancellations. I'm extremely fortunate to have a career outside of triathlon that has not been significantly impacted by the pandemic. It's actually brought more meaning to my career as I have been helping secure the North American food supply chain and ensure that staple goods are able to reach consumers across the continent. The extra time and energy I have been able to put into my job has really increased my rate of professional development and allowed me to get involved in more initiatives and projects at work. Meanwhile, I've still been able to train consistently and make significant improvements in my fitness - especially on the bike.

While I'm looking forward to getting back on the race course, I've also been enjoying this new balance in my life. In a time of extreme hardship and pain for so many, I am incredibly grateful and fortunate to have my job, my family, my friends, and my triathlon career. I am excited for us to get past this pandemic and to begin exploring what a post-pandemic world looks like in both triathlon and beyond.

Canadian Professional Triathlete

Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathletes $ [GOAT12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GOAT12 wrote:
Nahh,I do not do racing to get paid but with the way the system is at this moment and the elections coming. up november ,i do not think any racer will be getting or has. been getting paid..
HUH???

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a part time job for the fall/winter. We moved across the country a little after the start of the pandemic so I had just ended a pretty good part time job. I've reached out to my LBS 4 or 5 times asking if I could work part time at either of their locations and always get one response saying absolutely and then after I follow up I never hear again. Kind of mind-blowing because they literally are posting help needed ads and I'm pretty sure I can sell a bike as well as anyone.

Hurts to fly down to Mexico for a race and then shit the bed and not end up recouping any $$$ at all, but that's part of the game I guess.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alfonzo wrote:
How are pro triathletes doing financially? Not much race money these days but are sponsors still paying? Anyone have to get a day job?

Most budding professional (tri)athletes have full-time job... It is triathlon. They should be treating it as a high-growth, high-momentum, high-cash burn startup, and are giving 100% of their available time to triathlon. If they aren't they are doing themselves and angel investors a disservice. Btw it is no different if a pro is injured and can't race.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those that have salaries and contracts that extend through 2020 are doing fine. But they aren't getting any bonuses and the thought of re-upping with "high dollar" salaried contracts is probably stressful.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathletes $ [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Hurts to fly down to Mexico for a race and then shit the bed and not end up recouping any $$$ at all, but that's part of the game I guess.

Do sponsors typically cover any of those travel costs? And is host housing or anything provided for the pro field?

No worries if that's too personal to share, but just curious how much is truly out of pocket with the hope of winning more prize money than it cost
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Kind of mind-blowing because they literally are posting help needed ads and I'm pretty sure I can sell a bike as well as anyone.

Shops don't really need help with bike sales at the moment. They're in need of mechanics to help service all the bikes that have come out of garages for the first time in a decade.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathletes $ [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
realbdeal wrote:

Do sponsors typically cover any of those travel costs? And is host housing or anything provided for the pro field?

No worries if that's too personal to share, but just curious how much is truly out of pocket with the hope of winning more prize money than it cost
I'm guessing some of the more established pros have a sponsor that covers travel costs. TG could probably comment on that. For my wife and I however, we got a bit unlucky with the timing of covid (as opposed to all those people who got lucky with it) and lost one of our two sponsors paying a stipend. The sport was already short enough on sponsorship cash to go around and with companies struggling, not exactly a time where we've been able to find any additional sponsors. I'm hopeful that with the boom in outdoor activities triathlon will bounce back hard. With what could be a thinning of the pro herd happening as well, I'm optimistic on where we'll be in a few years. This is a career for me.

TLDR: 100% of our trip was out of pocket. Sometimes races organize homestays for the pros but that's about it.

Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathletes $ [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:
Kind of mind-blowing because they literally are posting help needed ads and I'm pretty sure I can sell a bike as well as anyone.

Shops don't really need help with bike sales at the moment. They're in need of mechanics to help service all the bikes that have come out of garages for the first time in a decade.
That's fair though they were not advertising for mechanics. I'm also a pretty decent mechanic but its shop policy to only hire certified mechanics which I don't have at the moment.

Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathletes $ [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Do sponsors typically cover any of those travel costs? And is host housing or anything provided for the pro field?"

Depends on how good the athlete is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
random internet guy here.

I have a lot of respect for people who try to make a living in a sport that pays so little!! Good luck in finding a job that supports your training. Hopefully you will also benefit from beyond simply providing income but also in terms of your long term career outside of and/or after the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathletes $ [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't depend on the caliber of the athlete - it depends on the partnerships an individual athlete has managed to secure. There are lower level athletes with excellent sponsorship deals, and high performing athletes with not-so-great deals.

Travel costs are not typically covered, it is something one must negotiate with the right kind of sponsor (for example, bike sponsor vs law firm corporate sponsorship).

Host housing or "homestays" are provided by Ironman and Challenge at many races. This is mostly a first come, first serve service (though at some races I believe the big names get first dibs, and in advance of others).

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathletes $ [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This year has been interesting with the PTO finally getting together and forming strong partnerships and establishing itself.

They managed to secure some serious funding and have done an amazing job supporting the (top ranked) athletes so far. They paid the top 100 ranked. It wasn't much, but it's something at least and makes good on their mission. Further, they have been supporting a number of races across the world with prize purses where there were none, or padding existing prize purses, allowing payments to reach top 10 where they may have only gone to top 5 or 6. At Challenge Davos, which was canceled mid-race due to weather, they divided the money equally among all competitors. At the Pro Champs invitational here in Ontario, everyone got an appearance fee and was guaranteed prize money regardless of finish.

Outside of the top 30, earnings are very low and generally not sustainable in a major city. Once outside of the top 100, earnings are...micro. Most will have a part time job, full time job or partner/family supporting them.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathletes $ [Ben Rudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ben. I'd love to have you on the podcast. Please e-mail me if you are interested. kknnheinze@yahoo.com

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cam Wurf has got it all sorted out and may be the smartest pro triathlete of all.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathletes $ [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious if you know what a typical sponsor bonus structure looks like for placement. IE how deep placement wise, is it specified IM/ Challenge branded races (now PTO sanctioned I assume) & $$ difference between IM & 70.3 races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
.... they are doing themselves and angel investors a disservice....

Not to derail, but how prevalent are angel investors these days? I'm guessing most of the time that info stays private and it's most likely families doing the investing. I used to caddy at a golf club and one of my fellow caddy friends was really good, played D1 competitively, but washed out shortly after and fell into the mini-tours down south. I talked to him and a couple guys at the club bought in on him and paid for tournaments, lessons, etc, and they had a system where X amount went back to them when he cashed in. Granted I think they were trying to help the kid out more than they were looking to make big bucks, they had money to burn and it was a rush to have a horse in a race kind of thing. I'm just curious more than anything really.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathletes $ [ttreise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One other thing I've seen is the athlete getting a good amount of equipment that they sell at the end of the year.
I heard of one deal where an athlete got 4 top end bikes which is a fair amount of cash if they sell them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not aware of anyone that gets bonuses for anything other than top 3. The image of your athlete spraying champagne on the true podium is understandably the most marketable.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttreise wrote:
Curious if you know what a typical sponsor bonus structure looks like for placement. IE how deep placement wise, is it specified IM/ Challenge branded races (now PTO sanctioned I assume) & $$ difference between IM & 70.3 races.

Yes typical 1, 2, 3 and if you think about it that is where the value was back in the day in regards to photos, coverage etc. Now with social media it is a little more self-promotion based but I think a lot of the structures were old school. Amounts can very on race based on the importance. Might be like $500/250/100 or $1000/500/250, or $2500/1500/1000, or $5000/2500/1000. The later being something like a Kona win which how many of those.

And fwiw, you always hear of a situation where some new brand makes a deal with athlete and way overpays for something by 10x. I remember a non-endemic deal back in the day with a major male pro for like 15k for the year and they wanted a female as, the female got them same 15k. I mean they could I guess have paid 15k for the same caliber female pro but instead they got a female pro with like maybe at best 1% (could argue .1%) of the same marketability as the pro. Both deals were kind of insane IMHO regardless. Triathlon is a niche a sport.

In general triathlon is a terrible sport and only a handful of athletes who are just triathletes end in the black every year.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathletes $ [jond81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jond81 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
.... they are doing themselves and angel investors a disservice....

Not to derail, but how prevalent are angel investors these days? I'm guessing most of the time that info stays private and it's most likely families doing the investing. I used to caddy at a golf club and one of my fellow caddy friends was really good, played D1 competitively, but washed out shortly after and fell into the mini-tours down south. I talked to him and a couple guys at the club bought in on him and paid for tournaments, lessons, etc, and they had a system where X amount went back to them when he cashed in. Granted I think they were trying to help the kid out more than they were looking to make big bucks, they had money to burn and it was a rush to have a horse in a race kind of thing. I'm just curious more than anything really.

I definitely could have put angel in "" or pink. I mean there are just some young adults who are parental supported. Not just triathlon, but in general. Heck I just was talking to my realtor yesterday and their son (27) bought a new car and they paid $5,000 toward the car and the dad helped negotiate the deal in the first place. And we are talking about a typical middle-class family here. Anyway, I have known a few triathlon trust fund young adults. How prevalent, I just don't ask people. Usually I have to train with them to understand their financial situation. Not that I am not an open, blunt person, because I am but I just don't really care to know. If a parent were to come to me I think I would have some great ways to help their child be the best athlete they can be, but in general, from what I have seen, trust fund kids don't make good athletes over the longer haul.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i would like to know how certain triathletes fared, to compare those who did zwift pro race series vs those who sat around on the couch.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro triathletes $ [GOAT12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im sure the top guys and girls are doing ok from their endorsements
Quote Reply

Prev Next