Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pro teams ditch tubulars for (tubed) clinchers
Quote | Reply
Per Cycling News.

Huh.

Last edited by: jstonebarger: Jan 29, 21 13:25
Quote Reply
Re: Pro teams ditch tubulars for (tubed) clinchers [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They like clinchers with latex tubes, nothing shocking there. Might run tubeless in some scenarios. And will continue to use tubulars when puncture chance is very high and the ability to ride on a flat could dictate a race.

Nothing really revolutionary.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro teams ditch tubulars for (tubed) clinchers [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
give it another year and then we'll be told to ditch that for something else.

clincher to tubular to clincher again, to tubeless to hookless to clincher . . .

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Pro teams ditch tubulars for (tubed) clinchers [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
Nothing really revolutionary.

Going from nearly 100% tubular usage to nearly 100% tubed for QuickStep and Bora is a little on the revolutionary side.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro teams ditch tubulars for (tubed) clinchers [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed with you, Specialized is definitely driving those two teams' equipment choices. Curious to see what they roll in Flanders and Roubaix.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro teams ditch tubulars for (tubed) clinchers [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Agreed with you, Specialized is definitely driving those two teams' equipment choices. Curious to see what they roll in Flanders and Roubaix.

Flanders running clinchers is not a problem at all, the cobbles there are nothing. I've also ridden Gent-Wevelgem and same deal, the cobbles are hardly worse than bad chip seal. 27/28mm clinchers are fine. The other thing that most people don't appreciate, is for the most part (at least 70%) of the cobbles outside of Roubaix are on climbs, where you are going much slower and you can pick your lines pretty easy (you aren't going to hit a missing cobble at high speed), so the risk of flatting is really not that high.

Roubaix is a totally different beast (way rougher cobbles, more of them and at much higher speeds), I think that is one race where tubulars will be much more sticky, because the cobbles are F'in brutal. But that being said, its a huge cost and effort to have two sets of wheelsets and tires in your service course if one set of wheels/tires is only going to be used for one race a season. Maybe you just keep whatever tubular wheels you currently have and just don't upgrade them and maybe that gets you through the next 5-6 years without spending any extra money.

Having used both tubulars and clinchers for road over the past 20 years, tubulars are no longer worth the expense and trouble. High quality clinchers like Turbo cottons or GP5000 with latex tubes, it seems hard to argue tubulars are better. And to the extent they have some tiny advantage in certain situations, they cost a lot more and gluing them is a PITA.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro teams ditch tubulars for (tubed) clinchers [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
mike s wrote:

Flanders running clinchers is not a problem at all, the cobbles there are nothing. I've also ridden Gent-Wevelgem and same deal, the cobbles are hardly worse than bad chip seal. 27/28mm clinchers are fine. The other thing that most people don't appreciate, is for the most part (at least 70%) of the cobbles outside of Roubaix are on climbs, where you are going much slower and you can pick your lines pretty easy (you aren't going to hit a missing cobble at high speed), so the risk of flatting is really not that high.

Roubaix is a totally different beast (way rougher cobbles, more of them and at much higher speeds), I think that is one race where tubulars will be much more sticky, because the cobbles are F'in brutal. But that being said, its a huge cost and effort to have two sets of wheelsets and tires in your service course if one set of wheels/tires is only going to be used for one race a season. Maybe you just keep whatever tubular wheels you currently have and just don't upgrade them and maybe that gets you through the next 5-6 years without spending any extra money.

Having used both tubulars and clinchers for road over the past 20 years, tubulars are no longer worth the expense and trouble. High quality clinchers like Turbo cottons or GP5000 with latex tubes, it seems hard to argue tubulars are better. And to the extent they have some tiny advantage in certain situations, they cost a lot more and gluing them is a PITA.

PR is often a total equipment outlier (teams used to have wheels/tires that were ridden just for PR, and passed down for years). I can't see tubed clinchers not having huge pinch flat issues on the Arenberg cobbles. At some point teams may run tubeless there though.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
mike s wrote:

Bikes and equipment choices for P-R get a LOT of media coverage, and equipment sponsors LOVE that. They are more than happy to supply teams equipment specifically for that race in return for the coverage =.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:

They do cost a lot more, but the gluing you would be doing maybe once every 2+ years. If you're getting flats with your tubs regularly you either have the wrong tyres (e.g Corsa Speed) or the roads are crap in which case clinchers would make more sense.

I've been on tubs for 4 years and have rarely flatted. I did ride Corsa speeds for the first 12 months and this was a bit of a debacle. Wrong tyre for long course, but I also I errored by not using sealant. Anyway I switched to Continental Attack for my training wheels (0 flats in 3 years) and Podium TTs for race (1 flat) and then Conti Competition (0 flats). And if I do get a flat I can change it in much less time than a clincher. So for me it's worth it. If I was getting flats when training I'd switch to clinchers for training, but for races I'll stick to tubs.
Quote Reply