Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pro racing as AG in Kona
Quote | Reply
Surprised no one has started a thread about this. Pretty entertaining.

https://twitter.com/.../1187058496694390784

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4391866

Quote Reply
Re: Pro racing as AG in Kona [jakesaunders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really sure there is anything here. He isn't a professional based on my knowledge. As a result, he races in the age group. I will highlight one response in the tweet stream:

"I’m all for Pros “retiring” and then racing AG. But kinda think there ought to be a “cooling off period”.... and certainly should not be able to chop and change. I’ve known pro athletes drop down to AG... qualify / race Kona.... then go back to racing Pro. "

The reason the above happens is because some of these pros simply lose their qualification status to race pro and have to race as an age-grouper to regain their elite status. If you are at the back of a pack in a pro race and you are racing all day by yourself you are going to get annihilated because of basic physics. It is a much harder race than the pro race or the age-group race and thus very hard to qualify to keep your pro card, thus they lose it.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zzzzzz. Per the thread, he's not a pro and will be racing AG again next year. The proper thread for this is: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ring=waaaaa#p1566945
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I liked Paulo's assessment;

We have a breaking story here, an age grouper racing as an age grouper. Someone mentioned this would be perfect for an ST thread, only I think we have moved on as a group from this nick picky trivial shit. Apparently twitter has not, well they are a lot newer than us here, so have not gone through the learning curve we have.

Stay off that shit service Sergio, come on back here where we still love you... (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Pro racing as AG in Kona [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been a while since I had my own thread
I never left, I lurk.
So let the flaming begin, I'm going to get my fire extinguisher. I have several around so let's go

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Last edited by: sergio: Oct 24, 19 10:27
Quote Reply
Re: Pro racing as AG in Kona [sergio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome back(to posting) and you will get nothing but love from me brother. I have made my position very clear over the past 20 years+, pros who are retired ,are absolutely entitled to race as age groupers. WTF to people expect them to do? And no horseshit about different categories, or waiting periods. That stuff is up to governing bodies and such, not the individual athletes. Rule says you are not a pro, you get to race as an AG'er, end of story, no matter how much a tiny few wish it weren't...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And also a big congratulations on your race, wish a couple more retired pros could have knocked out the ex doper pro cyclists in the next two categories above you. Oscar gave it a good go, but tough when you pretty much know the guy you are racing is superman..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sergio wrote:
It's been a while since I had my own thread
I never left, I lurk.
So let the flaming begin, I'm going to get my fire extinguisher. I have several around so let's go

How did you race pro at 70.3 Cascais THIS YEAR AND race AG in Kona?

https://www.ironman.com/...tail=1#axzz63II3vlgH

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Oct 24, 19 10:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please, just tell us what's up.

It's apparent that most people don't know the rules (myself included).
Quote Reply
Re: Pro racing as AG in Kona [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as I know, Pros can go race at Age Group only races but are ineligible for awards or WC slots. Doing so there is a waiver process. Heather Jackson did so at Puerto Rico this year.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro racing as AG in Kona [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no dog in this fight, brusef. I think the reactions are funny on both sides.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4391866

Quote Reply
Re: Pro racing as AG in Kona [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am with you in spirit Monty, but I think you aren't understanding what happened here. Or I am not understanding which is what I want to clear up.

He raced as a pro at the ETU Long Distance Tri in September. He raced in the pro division at a 70.3 earlier in the year. My understanding is the IM pro license is a 1 year license and you cannot switch back and forth in the same calendar year. I could be wrong.

And now that I think about it, how did he qualify.

If Sergio "broke" the rules it was incumbent on IM to catch it, not Sergio. So he is the Age Group World champ either way in my book. But I am genuinely curious how he was eligible for the spot.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro racing as AG in Kona [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know the RD very well, its my Home race (ironman brand at least). He invited me to be part of the race since i would only leave to hawaii a few days latter and assured me that that tag wouldnt be a problem and i would leave from the front (pros). i did the race at lets call it, cruise speed, and would do it again just for being a home race and knowing a ton o people around the course. So if this goes sideways i will call him to justify but not to people i dont know from anywhere. I will not expose my life to proove anyone is wrong because you know what, i had a great vacation and a great day. And heck i saw jonnyo Fat as a pig.

Also a shameful plug, Ironman Cascais will be one of the best full courses in Europe next year

S�rgio Marques
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pro racing as AG in Kona [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you got it wrong, Raced ETU Europeans 4weeks before Kona and Cascais 70.3 2 weeks before Kona. I also qualified in Lanzarote and severall halfs in portugal and will race a 3km 120km 30km this weekend but am not sure witch division i would be called because if i finish lets say, 5th i will get some pennies. as for Challenge Almere it was a country representation so i wont comment on if its legal or not, its up to my federation to take care of that if someone connected to WTC asks. If my federation talks to me to race again i will do it...

sorry for the bad formating but im on the trainer

S�rgio Marques
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 i would leave from the front (pros).

——

Just for clarity. You raced as an AG but started with the pros in Kona because of you’ve raced other races this year as a pro?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sergio wrote:
you got it wrong, Raced ETU Europeans 4weeks before Kona and Cascais 70.3 2 weeks before Kona. I also qualified in Lanzarote and severall halfs in portugal and will race a 3km 120km 30km this weekend but am not sure witch division i would be called because if i finish lets say, 5th i will get some pennies. as for Challenge Almere it was a country representation so i wont comment on if its legal or not, its up to my federation to take care of that if someone connected to WTC asks. If my federation talks to me to race again i will do it...

sorry for the bad formating but im on the trainer

I agree with you it is on your federation and WTC, not you to ensure this was proper.

Did you race the ETU champs at the request of your Federation?
Quote Reply
Re: Pro racing as AG in Kona [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

——

Just for clarity. You raced as an AG but started with the pros in Kona because of you’ve raced other races this year as a pro?

No, in Kona he started with his wave...

In Cascais, he was alone in his category AG-ELITE/PRO starting with the PRO wave but not racing under PRO category neither AGE-GROUP 35-39. (couldn't get access to neither prizes) just a fun day of training! Finishing 26 minutes behind Javier Gomez and finishing 10 minutes ahead of 1st place in Age-Group category 35-39.

That's my understanding of this!

We had this category in Canada in early 2000 in many races...it was for the fun of racing with the fast guys together (creating a bigger PRO start wave) but we couldn't get access to neither of prizes! Just for the pure fun to race together instead of been set in waves. We would pay the full entry fee and couldn't care less of plastic memorabilia.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro racing as AG in Kona [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roth had this too, or has. The elite sub 9h athletes could start with the pros if I'm not mistaken.

S�rgio Marques
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The federation asked me to race in Pontevedra world Champs and i refused because I wanted to qualify in lanzarote (and to be honest didn't want to spend vacation time this early in the year) but I agreed to race almere.

S�rgio Marques
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you accept any money from the Federacao de Triatlo de Portugal to race Almere?
Quote Reply
Re: Pro racing as AG in Kona [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People should be more worried about dodgy ex pro cyclists racing AG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTL wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

——

No, in Kona he started with his wave...

In Cascais, he was alone in his category AG-ELITE/PRO starting with the PRO wave but not racing under PRO category neither AGE-GROUP 35-39. (couldn't get access to neither prizes) just a fun day of training! Finishing 26 minutes behind Javier Gomez and finishing 10 minutes ahead of 1st place in Age-Group category 35-39.

That's my understanding of this!

We had this category in Canada in early 2000 in many races...it was for the fun of racing with the fast guys together (creating a bigger PRO start wave) but we couldn't get access to neither of prizes! Just for the pure fun to race together instead of been set in waves. We would pay the full entry fee and couldn't care less of plastic memorabilia.

Steve brings up an interesting point. I didn't know this about the 70.3 race. My advice here would be to come up with some distinction. If you are NOT a pro don't have the RD state you are a pro in the listing. It sounds like a one-off and the timer/stats person may not be aware but it is confusing at best. And if you are not a pro don't go out with the pro race. That isn't fair to the professional racers, they would assume you are a professional. You should be racing under the M35-39 group.

I realize there might be some aspects here but if your an IM race director you can't be so cavalier. I know the race I caused all the kerfuffle, IM WISCONSIN 2015, Rudy Kahsar, Collegiate National Champion and former pro, was initially listed as a professional in the results. He also racked his bike on a seperate rack with me that day. But sometime in the future his designation was changed to AG.

If this were a USAT race back in the day, they would probably send you a nasty letter and the RD, possibly even suspended someone. Again it is confusing at best. Transparency goes a long way in SNAFUs.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTL wrote:

Hello

where can we find details on this special category ? Sounds peculiar to me in these times for a WTC race...
thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hahaha that's a good one. I had to pay the travel costs, didn't pay hotel and registration.
Honestly it wouldn't be shocking if federation payed some sort of compensation. The federation can request a public employee to race (if it's an athlete) or travel with athletes (if it's a coach) and that public worker will get his salary nonetheless. A private company or employee doesn't have that benefit so that's why it wouldn't shock me. Don't know if I am making myself understood
Anyway no.

S�rgio Marques
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next