Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pro purses in an age of men, women, transgenders
Quote | Reply
Approaching the payment of professional triathletes, runners and maybe cyclists (to some extent) in terms of total compensation.

Total compensation = race purse + marketability, endorsements, etc.

Let's have one prize purse that pays out to men, women, transgenders more deeply by combining the prizes currently given to men and women.

Yes, the women and transgenders might be receiving smaller payments by not placing as high up. This is not an absolute though as the right person regardless of gender, on the right course/day, could podium.

Yet the commercial endorsements, (that the most compelling/personable/marketable man, woman or transgender) receives could more than make up for the smaller take home money from their race prize.

I can see where women could be far more of a commercial success than the professional men that they finish with or behind in races. So at the end of the year, their total compensation need not be behind. It's possible that the top male/female/transgender athlete by results are not even the highest compensated. Some people are more popular and marketable than others as they work at that aspect of the sport too.

This might lead to an even better wide spread balance of total compensation among pro athletes. It might also lead to more personable athletes who want to nurture their image and the sports image.

Merit?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro purses in an age of men, women, transgenders [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would expect that the average pro woman, holding marketability and relative placing equal, still makes less than a comparable man in terms of sponsorship money. Women's sport is by far not as developed as the Men's side for just about every sport, triathlon included - I see no reason why sponsorship dollars not also follow this pattern even at the top.

Take a look at the share of 'blank space' / unsponsored area on the tri suit that men have on their jerseys vs women. It's not a perfect 1:1 relationship between pure dollars and available real estate left on the jersey, but I couldn't help but notice that even Ryf, who is a the surest bet in the sport, still has room to put a Swiss flag design on a prime real estate area on the tri suit. Compare that to any of the top men.

What makes you think that women earn more sponsorship money than the men?
Quote Reply
Re: Pro purses in an age of men, women, transgenders [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:

What makes you think that women earn more sponsorship money than the men?

N=1: I follow A LOT more women athletes on Instagram than men.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro purses in an age of men, women, transgenders [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is always a here we go argument. Triathlon as fair or unfair as it may be actually has pretty good equality in pay at the races. What the total sponsorship pkg is I don't pretend to know. Look at Tennis, golf, soccer, basketball and baseball/softball if you want to see some pretty big differences in payouts. There is a lot of argument as to the money the sport brings in in total revenues which does not apply to triathlon, but the reality of the matter is there is a huge discrepancy between mens and women payouts at the pointy end of the field in sports. I don't know where the transgender figures into the mix, but with recent topics it seems to get some attention.
I don't have a dog in that hunt, but if I was a woman and a huge sized transgender beat me in a sprint or strength event, I might. Lots of complications to the issues there, and I am not a part of the discussion.
I have more difficulty with the "Dr." issue with Rachael than the transgender. If you are in a clinical situation, MD or Doctor is acceptable and the norm, out on the street an MD is a regular person in my book. PhD the same thing, if you are in the educational venue Dr. is ok. When you are in the sports venue, you are just another cat in the game. I sort of laugh at people including their alphabet soup initials in their regular role in society, sort of the all hat no cows argument. Like who cares waiting in line at a dining experience how many letters you have behind your name? But then silly me, I still call Generals, Colonels, Senators, Mayors, Master Gunners and Chiefs by their earned titles. Oh, what the hell.
Quote Reply