Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pro cyclist Michael Woods has run a sub-4 mile. Who else has done that?
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure I just heard that. That's incredible range. Anyone know of any other pro cyclists who have done that?
Last edited by: JoeO: Oct 27, 20 12:50
Quote Reply
Re: Pro cyclist Michael Woods has run a sub-4 mile. Who else has done that? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No other pro cyclists have done that.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro cyclist Michael Woods has run a sub-4 mile. [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They featured him quite a bit on the NBCSN feed of the tour last year. Was a national-level middle-distance runner in his youth apparently. Stress fractures brought him to cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro cyclist Michael Woods has run a sub-4 mile. Who else has done that? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:

https://cyclingtips.com/...-the-tour-de-france/

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Pro cyclist Michael Woods has run a sub-4 mile. Who else has done that? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
I'm pretty sure I just heard that. That's incredible range. Anyone know of any other pro cyclists who have done that?

yep, I believe he went to Michigan state on a full track scholarship, so he was pretty good as a high schooler!

I actually had the privilege of riding and racing with him when he switched to cycling. Even cooler is he lives just down the road from me, but doesn't come home very often! He is a super nice down to earth guy.

He went to University of Michigan, most definitely not to be confused with Michigan State University, you would be crucified if you said that in the state of Michigan :)
Quote Reply
Re: Pro cyclist Michael Woods has run a sub-4 mile. Who else has done that? [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
He went to University of Michigan, most definitely not to be confused with Michigan State University, you would be crucified if you said that in the state of Michigan :)

Ha ha, I’m Canadian - I have no idea!

Thanks for correction though!

Bonesbrigade wrote:
trener1 wrote:

Ha ha, I’m Canadian - I have no idea!

Thanks for correction though!

Don't feel bad.
Last week the white house said the new supreme court judge was a Rhodes scholar. She graduated from Rhodes college.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro cyclist Michael Woods has run a sub-4 mile. Who else has done that? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phew, I knew that one.

Fair, thought wouldn't it be worse if he was accused of going to Ohio State?

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Pro cyclist Michael Woods has run a sub-4 mile. Who else has done that? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
kny wrote:

https://cyclingtips.com/...-the-tour-de-france/

If I had to bet, I would have only considered Indurain to have gone close to this, given he was apparently an outstanding junior 400m runner. You'd think with some work he might have gone close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can he swim?
Quote Reply
Re: Pro cyclist Michael Woods has run a sub-4 mile. Who else has done that? [Toothless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, and he has said he would do Ironman
https://triathlonmagazine.ca/...post-cycling-career/
Last edited by: marcag: Oct 28, 20 4:14
Quote Reply
Re: Pro cyclist Michael Woods has run a sub-4 mile. Who else has done that? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats an interesting stat from the article

About 1400 runners went sub 4
About 2800 bikers started a tour de france

And from the comments... 4 minute mile is above 24km per hour

How close to sub 4 would a itu guy be? Would it be possible for someone to train for it during lockdown like lionel with the hour?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woods was a legit stud runner. I have a few years on him, so I was well off the track by the time he started hitting those kinds of times, but still doing a lot of coaching. He was awesome to watch. He hit his outdoor mile PB here in Windsor.

Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:

How close to sub 4 would a itu guy be? Would it be possible for someone to train for it during lockdown like lionel with the hour?

That stat of 2800 bikers having participated in TdF must be wrong. There are 180 riders every year in a TdF. There have been 120 years of TdF. This implies an average of only 23 first time riders every year out of a field of 180? No way. Way too low.

sub 4 mile is extraordinary, so highly unlikely that an elite fast twitch (ITU) type triathlete can simply train for it and do it. I would imagine a lot of ITU guys with some focused track work could get down to sub 4:08 (3:50 1500), but sub 4 is really, really rare air.

Literally in all of time there have been only 11 high schoolers who have done it.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro cyclist Michael Woods has run a sub-4 mile. Who else has done that? [Gervs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7:52 3000m indoors. Man, that is so fast. Looking at NCAA Div 1 championship winning times since 1965, that time would crown him NCAA champ every year except for 4 (Adam Goucher 1999, Lopez Lomong 2007, Lawi Lalang 2012/13)
Quote Reply
Re: Pro cyclist Michael Woods has run a sub-4 mile. Who else has done that? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, that stood out as pretty well the most impressive stat up there. I remember when he did it. I think it ranked in the top 5-10 all-time Canadian indoors, but it was in South Bend, so the track was oversized. Maybe 330m or something.
He still holds the Canadian Outdoor U20 record in the 3000m with that 7:58.

Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
lacticturkey wrote:

That stat of 2800 bikers having participated in TdF must be wrong. There are 180 riders every year in a TdF. There have been 120 years of TdF. This implies an average of only 23 first time riders every year out of a field of 180? No way. Way too low.

sub 4 mile is extraordinary, so highly unlikely that an elite fast twitch (ITU) type triathlete can simply train for it and do it. I would imagine a lot of ITU guys with some focused track work could get down to sub 4:08 (3:50 1500), but sub 4 is really, really rare air.

Literally in all of time there have been only 11 high schoolers who have done it.

According to this all time athletics list only 5191 in the history of humanity from the start of time have gone sub 4:

http://www.alltime-athletics.com/m_mileok.htm

Likely a bunch of 1500m performances would double this, but in essence, MOST of the ITU guys are too heavy to run sub 4. Even Woods is kind of heavy for a runner, which is why he is able to race protour. If he weighed 125 lbs there would be no way he could ride in the protour. But being sub 130 lbs puts you in the correct starting weight to go sub 4. Bannister was huge at 70 kilos...he would be perfect size to be a long course tri guy but with his watts per kilo he would be a fabulous GC contender with likley a good ability to TT.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro cyclist Michael Woods has run a sub-4 mile. Who else has done that? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need to run a unique sort on that list. For instance, Steve Scott is on there 135 times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
...That stat of 2800 bikers having participated in TdF must be wrong. There are 180 riders every year in a TdF. There have been 120 years of TdF. This implies an average of only 23 first time riders every year out of a field of 180? No way. Way too low...
The TdF has not always been the same race since it's inception. It also hasn't been held 120 times. It's been held 107 times in 117 years.
I don't know if their participation figure is correct, I assume it's varied a lot from the current 180ish figure over the years, but if we assumed that the actual participation figure started out much lower and perhaps the average has been 120 riders, that would mean 2800 riders would only need to average 4.6 editions each. That seems a bit high to me alright but many modern riders take part repeatedly for a decade and I migth still be guessing high on average riders per edition; so, it doesn't seem necessarily out of the question to me.

kny wrote:
...fast twitch (ITU) type triathlete....
I don't think any triathlete would be classed as "fast twitch". A "sprint" triathlon is still an endurance event, much more closely related to IM distance triathlon than any true fast twitch event like track sprinting, high jump or weight lifting.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro cyclist Michael Woods has run a sub-4 mile. Who else has done that? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A sub 4 miler is at worst a 1:52 800 guy and a 0:47 400 guy. To pull that off you have to be pretty "fast twitch" on the endurance scale. I agree, even crazy fast ITU guys could not muster that turn of speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
You need to run a unique sort on that list. For instance, Steve Scott is on there 135 times.

You are likely correct. Probably 100 guys on that list have done sub 4 20-50 times each so that would cut the number in half right there.

I think you need to take the 1500m list and mile list and run those sorts to see how many humans are sub 3 capable and cut the 1500m list off at 3:45 (15 second per 100m gets you 4 min mile)
Quote Reply
Re: Pro cyclist Michael Woods has run a sub-4 mile. Who else has done that? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3:43.7 1500 meter = 4:00 1609 meters

I would imagine relatively few have gone under 3:43 1500 but not done a sub-4. Sub 4 is one of those feathers in a cap accomplishments that if you are capable of it you do it.

But we are digressing. Woods is a rare breed, even amongst a peloton full of rare breeds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Much like the track (velodrome) guys that turn themselves inside out for that hour, the 1500m all time list is about the same. There is nothing left on the table after those guys hit their 1500m PB's.
The cutoff for a sub 4 mile, is more like mid 3:43 believe it or not. Don't think I've ever been quite that far into the hurt box, but that last 100m to hit the mile is surprisingly more than (mile time = 1500m time + (1500/15)).
Not to mention the last 9m meters that needs to be covered. (mile = 1609m)
3:45 1500m = 4:02 mile

Prev Next