Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pro Vibe Alloy Aero Bars; Pursuit or Compact shape? Also, mechanical cabling internally routed through bars, yada or nada?
Quote | Reply
Pro seemingly having come out with an awesome looking pair of bars here Vibe Aero Alloy Pursuit Handlebar | Pro Bikegear (pro-bikegear.com) and here
Vibe Aero Alloy Handlebar | Pro Bikegear (pro-bikegear.com)

One thing I'm stumped on though; what advantages do the pursuit shape have over the compact? they have a much longer reach (claimed 130mm but measured at 105mm by someone I saw) which means a shorter stem will then be needed. That works for me, would be 130 to 100 or 110, but is it worth it over the compact ones, where I loose out on the forward sweep and being able to go for a 36cm, but still can get a 38cm, with the same stem and it still has a slight (but not as much) flare to the drops.

Also, can I route my ultegra mechanical cables through these bars do you reckon along with my hydraulic hoses so they pop out by the stem, and are routed much more cleanly to there entry points in the down tube and front fork respectively?
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Vibe Alloy Aero Bars; Pursuit or Compact shape? Also, mechanical cabling internally routed through bars, yada or nada? [TommyBTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TommyBTri wrote:
Pro seemingly having come out with an awesome looking pair of bars here Vibe Aero Alloy Pursuit Handlebar | Pro Bikegear (pro-bikegear.com) and here
Vibe Aero Alloy Handlebar | Pro Bikegear (pro-bikegear.com)

One thing I'm stumped on though; what advantages do the pursuit shape have over the compact? they have a much longer reach (claimed 130mm but measured at 105mm by someone I saw) which means a shorter stem will then be needed. That works for me, would be 130 to 100 or 110, but is it worth it over the compact ones, where I loose out on the forward sweep and being able to go for a 36cm, but still can get a 38cm, with the same stem and it still has a slight (but not as much) flare to the drops.

Also, can I route my ultegra mechanical cables through these bars do you reckon along with my hydraulic hoses so they pop out by the stem, and are routed much more cleanly to there entry points in the down tube and front fork respectively?

If you climb a good bit, I'd say the normal compact as you'd probably want to be climbing with your hands on the hoods or wider on the bar tops.

The pursuit bars give you both an aggressive sprint posture and an aggressive posture when doing the horizontal forearm thing in a fast rotation. But, you wouldn't necessarily those bars to climb with stretched out like that, you'd have to climb with hands closer to center.

You wouldn't alter your stem reach necessarily to run one versus the other, it's just the posture during an event they are meant to put you into with the hand positions they offer.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Vibe Alloy Aero Bars; Pursuit or Compact shape? Also, mechanical cabling internally routed through bars, yada or nada? [TommyBTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't speak for these Pro bars specifically, but i have the 3T Aeronova bars and those have a long reach (104mm). The Aeronova was designed so that you could get your body into a more aero position easier. I can climb comfortably on my tops, and on my hoods the reach makes it feel natural to drop my elbows lower to get my forearms more horizontal and get my body into a better position. I don't know about the Pro bars, but the Aeronova also had a hump before the hood that you can rest on, and that would be closer to the reach of a normal drop bar.

I like my bars, but it must not have worked out great for 3T. They don't make the aeronova anymore and their latest drop bar went back to a "normal" 77mm reach.

If you buy the pro bar, i wouldn't necessarily just subtract the extra reach MM from your stem length. That would put your tops pretty close to your body, which you may or may not like. It also could cause your knee to sometimes hit your bar, but i guess that depends on a lot of different things. I would possibly subtract a little from your stem, but leave a little extra reach to your hoods, because that could help your position.

Note: I'm not a pro fitter. I've just had similar bars and wanted to throw in my two cents.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Vibe Alloy Aero Bars; Pursuit or Compact shape? Also, mechanical cabling internally routed through bars, yada or nada? [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My setup as is currently is probably at pretty much overall max reach, which is why I’d consider shortening the stem, but thanks for your input both of you it’s really appreciated! Picture of my position mid race in the most apoplectic conditions for reference (were talking driving rain and 30 mph winds with far higher gusts if I remember correctly! Round one corner I’d go from one side of the road to the other each lap due to the crosswind hitting!)
Quote Reply