Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pro Bike fitter question - Cleat positioning for more medial quad recruitment
Quote | Reply
Obviously cleat adjustment is a super individualized endeavor, and I know that bike-fitment over the internet can be...problematic. That being said, I wont hold any idea against anyone and I am just trying to reach a broader audience.

The question: Any advice on how to adjust cleats/bike to have greater emphasis on medial quad recruitment? heel/out heel in toe/out toe in? Lots of talk about IT band or medial knee pain, less about this particular issue, but not a too uncommon problem. It seems the only thing I can reliably find in the literature is to raise saddle enough to have enough extension to bias the VMO more, but I am at the limit in that regard now.

The longer story - I have a bum left knee with significant hyper-mobility and PFS lateral with patellar maltracking which has bothered me for the better part of 5 years now. Other leg is bullet-proof. Both road bike and tri bike are comfortable excepting this knee. Fallen into the same cycle over and over again, After letting things settle down pain wise, I get back on the bike, it feels good for a couple rides, and then I think my lateral quads gain more strength and shortly later I start to recurrently dislocate my kneecap(pops out over the lateral part of the knee) going from flexion to extension. More of a problem on the trainer.

I have and continue to foam roll the shit out of the lateral quad, I have had 2 formal bike fitments and 2 cleat alignments, I have used speed play historically, but have experimented with shimano yellow to try to restrict movement (mostly gave more pain). Have tried down 155mm cranks (im 5'7''). Have tried cleat forward and way back, have tried arch inserts, have tried wedges to 3 degrees, have tried shorter pedal spindles, have tried pedal extensions, have raised saddle to the point of getting bilateral back of knee pain and numb junk, I have tried saddle way back. Earlier this year I had a an arthroscopy with lateral lengthening (weaker version of lateral release but better for hypermobility, apparently). Lots of VMO exercise, done 20+ weeks of formal physiotherapy before and after surgery all this to to try to get my dang leg to pull the kneecap in the right direction. Surgeon thinking about something more drastic (tibial tubercle osteotomy) but since this seems to be isolated to riding and that is a dramatic surgery, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with fitting as a solution. Its possible I didn't give any one adjustment enough of a chance before changing it up.

thanks for reading.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Bike fitter question - Cleat positioning for more medial quad recruitment [rdubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a couple of questions:

does your VMO simply not function? If youv'e done rehab and exercises then the muscle should be firing. If firing is an issue this could be from L3/L4 root or femoral nerve impingement.

Can't tell by your name, but are you...male or female? If female, have you had children?

Hypermobility compounds the tracking issue, so does your patella 'float' off of the joint when leg is extended? So if hips are hypermobile the aim is to tone and restrict the hip flexors/glutes to keep the tib/fib in alignment.

The patella is a force multiplier in knee extension; incorrect tracking grinds the back of the cap. Is the bursa shot as well as the cartilage? At what range of flexion at the knee joint to you experience pain? That is also to say what level of compression occurs of the back of the kneecap to the surface below. Combination of excessive flexion and tight quad fascia can exacerbate patellar pain.

Would not say that much of anything at the foot/ankle/cleat/pedal is going to help here. Nor does foam rolling or beating on other parts of the body. Tibial osteotomy sounds a bit drastic too

What I usually do to reduce force vector on the joint is to move saddle back and lower seat height. Shorter cranks can help but only inconjuction with a slack-er sitting position.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Bike fitter question - Cleat positioning for more medial quad recruitment [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for responding.

Male last I checked. Funny joints run in the family, not formal EDS though. When I was a kid swimmer I would frequently dislocate shoulders with butterfly and have dislocated ribs and a few other things a few times.

Full ROM. Hard to say occurs with non-weight bearing extension final 15 degrees or so. I believe I have VMO activation nor have any sensory radiculopathy, with trained exercise, impression was the issues seemed to be bike specific so thats part of why I was focusing on fit questions. Current PT is focusing more on Hip/Glutes so thats good consistent advice and working on that now.

My latest fit experiment is just that, slackening off the position. I do seem to have perhaps a bit of less trouble on the road bike. Thanks so much for the help
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Bike fitter question - Cleat positioning for more medial quad recruitment [rdubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going to sound like a dumb question as you have tried almost everything....but have you tried a simple knee support with a patella cut out??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you’re barking up the wrong tree. Current PT literature doesn’t support “maltracking” and vmo issues as reasons for PFPS. The pain comes from a prolonged compression of the Subchondral bone of the patella or possibly femur. Since one cannot actually realign the patella as the quad tendon is incredibly strong and its vector will override any lateral influences, you are better to improve knee flexion ROM, increase strength and flexibility. As well, reduce the force going through the PFJ with higher cadences and knowing when to give your knee sufficient rest.
Quote Reply