Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pro's or no Pro's
Quote | Reply
All,
As we get deeper and deeper into our 2016 race planning, the questions have come up time and time again. We are currently in the evaluation stages regarding whether or not we will offer a Pro purse structure for the races in 2016. We have been talking with industry, Pro's and age groupers regarding this choice and we wanted to solicit the opinion of Slowtwitch. Thoughts? Concerns?

Charlie
http://www.rev3tri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pro's or no Pro's [rev3tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also happy to coordinate with Dan to make this a poll if you want Charlie.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a middle of the packer. I like pros, but I don't base my races on if pros are there or not. I care about location, price and the time of year a race is. If they are there, great, but I likely won't see them for all but a second as they are going the other way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I like races with Pros for a few reasons. Fun to watch the pointy end on the course when I'm racing. I actually attend prerace pro panels. Sponsor support appears to be more obvious. Good benchmark for how I do versus them. Get to talk to them before and/or after races (most are open to it).
Quote Reply
Re: Pro's or no Pro's [bq2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A good point, but I say yes to pros. So many people on here say that pros don't impact them, and then you see them asking what helmet was Frodeno wearing, what shoes did Raelert have on, etc. I think it also gives races more prestige and competition amongst the age groupers.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the pros could use more racing options/income opportunities than they have now. I think it would be good, although I don't know how much it adds to the events.

For something a bit different, maybe you could offer a draft-legal pro race series? Is there even such a thing in the U.S.?

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pros please....
For me, it's part of the overall ambiance of a race. Something's missing if there are no pros on the starting line.

I like to peruse their bike rack. Most of them are easy to talk to. They are amazing to watch race.

And most of all, I believe they are good for the sport and deserve as many opportunities to race as possible.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Pro's or no Pro's [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
Personally I like races with Pros for a few reasons. Fun to watch the pointy end on the course when I'm racing. I actually attend prerace pro panels. Sponsor support appears to be more obvious. Good benchmark for how I do versus them. Get to talk to them before and/or after races (most are open to it).

Ditto
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would expect the crowd at ST will be much more in favor of events w/ a pro field than the general triathlon population. Like others have mentioned, I really enjoy the pro presence. I don't base my race decisions on it, but it definitely adds to the experience.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Pro's or no Pro's [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that pros are a good thing, but it personally isn't in the top 10 of things I look for in a race. I'm doing Boulder 70.3 and Muncie 70.3 next year. No idea if pros are at either. Boulder is 30 mins from my house. I'm driving to Ohio for 4th of July and Muncie is on my way back at the perfect time to hit on the way home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never done a bigger brand (IM, Challenge, Rev3, etc) race. When I do, I will pick one first based on location and date, then by pro field. They add value to my race.

For example, Steelhead is much less attractive now without pros. Why not just do a more local race w/o the draft packs?

I suppose I did do a big brand race - WTS Chicago in '14. We watched the pros race, waited for autographs and pics, enjoyed seeing them around the venue, etc.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A pro field connotes quality and helps enforce the name of a race. That said, I have never and would never choose a race because professionals are racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't care if there are pros there or not. It isn't like I will be watching them race or racing along side them. The only time I even see them is at the swim start while I am standing on the shore waiting for my turn to get in the water.

However, I do think that it is good for the sport to have people who can do it for a living, so obviously there need to be races that provide a purse. Having professionals puts a spotlight on the sport.
Last edited by: happyscientist: Oct 22, 15 13:06
Quote Reply
Re: Pro's or no Pro's [IndyClay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IndyClay wrote:
3Aims wrote:

Ditto

x3

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The statistics don't lie.
I will not pay for a race that I am likely to win.
(That is called training and it is usually free).

Conversely- I will pay the most to get beaten by the largest number of people.
(That is called the world championship).

Paying professionals is a good way to create a competitive field. There might be other ways to this also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you bring the 70.3 in the dells back please?

With pros.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand that it would be good to provide more support for the pros, as many struggle. That said, I think it would behoove them, and you to ask they do more than just show up. We've all been to races where they just hang together and chat amongst themselves. Yes, most are cordial when approached, but most need to go above and beyond to establish the kind of support and value they want to be paid for.
I did the Knoxville race and simply loved it, for the course; not the field. I think the venue comes first for me, and then pros much further down the line, as long as they provide value. It's more than the one way street many want it to be. I sure hope to be on the starting line in Knoxville again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I like to go to races where the best athletes are. Even though I get beat by plenty of age groupers, its just not quite as satisfying as knowing that I was racing "against" the best.

That being said if the prize purse causes race entry fees to shoot 20% for each individual entering the race its not worth it. We need sponsors for pros, but we also need more athletes in triathlon. I doubt it is this simple, but maybe the question is: do more people attend the race if it costs more but has pros vs costs less no pros.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pro's are great. They are the elite. They are fun to watch and I enjoy them.

None of the above would effect my reason to race or choose a specific race. If removing pro purses means more money dedicated to my overall experience; then I say drop the pros.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
please have pro's, show your support for the sport at the highest level
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the question you need to be asking, Charlie, is "If we have a pro prize purse, will the pros come and support us this time?"

ETA - having pros at a race has zero impact on my choice to participate at a race, for whatever that is worth.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Last edited by: Power13: Oct 22, 15 13:17
Quote Reply
Re: Pro's or no Pro's [bq2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bq2001 wrote:
I'm a middle of the packer. I like pros, but I don't base my races on if pros are there or not. I care about location, price and the time of year a race is. If they are there, great, but I likely won't see them for all but a second as they are going the other way.

This.
Location is key. availability of hotels if I'm traveling. (And I do - even for sprints), clean swim, Olympic or sprint distance race. Stuff to do with the family in the area. I would never make a decision based on who is there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there is so much opportunity for Rev3 to establish itself as the premier short course racing circuit by offering pro purses for the olympic distances races. There's something like 3 total olympic distances races in the US with pro races (St. Anthony's, TriRock Philly, and Des Moines) so you've got all the dominant short course athletes forced to race the 70.3s with minimal success searching for new opportunities. This could be it! Honestly, you're not going to win the big names in the full and half distance against WTC, I think the better bet is to carve the niche with the olympic distance. This is good for the pointy end elite age groupers, up and coming collegiate triathletes, developmental pros that can't withstand a whole season of 70.3 races but can do the whole series of Rev3 olympic races injury free. I think there's also going to by lots of growth potential down the road as more collegiate triathlon teams pop up with teams specifically looking for competitive non draft olympic distance races. You could even offer a $4990 prize purse at first open to whoever crosses the line first regardless of USAT "Elite" status, and grow the purses in the future as the fields get more competitive. I do think there is going to be a bit of mistrust from the pros at first due to revoked pro purses at the 2015 Challenge races, so start small and grow rather than promising the world out of the gate.

Regardless of what you decide, major props for coming on here and asking the ST community for their opinions. It shows you really care about the athletes and I am looking forward to seeing Rev3 thrive once again!

http://trainingwheelsrequired.wordpress.com
@KellyNCollier
Quote Reply
Re: Pro's or no Pro's [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's an interesting way of putting it.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro's or no Pro's [KellyNCollier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree 100% Focus on Olympic Distance with $$$$ no need to for the 1/2

I personally like races with pros and I think is a huge way to give Olympic Distance athlete some showing
Quote Reply

Prev Next