Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Principia
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at purchasing a Principia 26 frame and fork--can anyone tell me what they know about principia and/or value of frame and fork
Quote Reply
Re: Principia [davidevelev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I have a 2002 model Principia T28 bike. I'm very happy with this bike, its good quality and its

(together with Cube) the most ridden brand here in Germany.

regards,

FrankfromBavaria

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Re: Principia [Bavarian_Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does Principia still make a 650c wheel tri bike? I was looking at their website a while back and didn't see any?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We sold a handful of Principias a number of years back and found them to be very, very nice. Perhaps a cut above many other aluminum frames. The most important thing: Be sure the geometry is right for you and it fits correctly.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Principia [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought my (sweet) Principia in 1995. Since then it has 12 Ironman races and about 30'000 training miles plus, I don't know how many short distance races. Until last year I did all my training and all my racing on my Principia SC. Now I bought a training bike to save my rocket for race day.
I did change many things over the years, like wheels, handle bars, saddle, fork. lots of chains...
But the frame, BB, HS, derailler are still the original.

This is one sweet bike!!! I will race IMCA and IMLP this year and I don't even think about buying a new bike.
So if you want a long-lasting handmade quality bike, look no further.
Yes there might be technically more versatile bikes out there, but the guys at Principia put so much love into their work, you'll be able to count on your bike for a long time.

and yeah a little bragging...
don't think I'm a lightweight, nice to your BB kind of dude.
I'm 6'2" 175lbs with several sub 5h IM bike courses....

buy it and have lots of fun
Quote Reply
Re: Principia [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tend follow the european bike press. The 'Tour' which is probably one of the best publications I have seen, has consistently ranked the P. as the best bike builder (eg. road: the new REX frame 2003) over the last few years.

Its STW (Stiffness to weight Ratio) which is probably the most objective measure as far as pure performance is concerned, is better than any other bike ever tested. (incl. Cervelo). Only Klein seems to come close. The quality of the workmanship; welds, paint etc is excellent. The bikes are actually hand built in Denmark. The geometry should meet Slowtwitch req. (700cc 76deg., 650cc 78deg.), very short headtube, in fact I think it slopes down towards the front a bit. The ride is surprisingly comfortable, especially on our training rides in the northern Sub. of Chicago (which should be done on MTB)

I race on a TT28 over any distance incl. IM, but train on a C40, Look KG 381i and a Cannondale.

For the price its a great value. I have some of the test results. Email me if you are interested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road a T28 for the first 18 months I got into this sport, great bike, took everything I could through at it.

Ross Hoopingarner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good post. I've been checking out Principia as well. Check out this link to Principia's very sweet TT bike: http://www.principia.dk/...ykler/tt2_light.html

Any particular reason why you are looking at the T28 or T26 rather than the TT bike?

Robert
Quote Reply
Re: Principia [RA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW - With the T26/28 you get a shorter top-tube and longer head-tube, that's why I went to the T28 over the TT back when I was choosing.

Ross Hoopingarner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've raced a TT2 light for aboujt 18 months mow and the comments from the other posts are accurate - well built, stiff and pretty fast.

Not sure they still make the 26inch Triathlon bike - it is no longer on the Principia Web site.

It's a pity Principia haven't spent much time on tri bikes for a while - they now seem to concentrate on road bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Principia [Paul in UK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
I've raced a TT2 light for aboujt 18 months mow and the comments from the other posts are accurate - well built, stiff and pretty fast.

Not sure they still make the 26inch Triathlon bike - it is no longer on the Principia Web site.

It's a pity Principia haven't spent much time on tri bikes for a while - they now seem to concentrate on road bikes [/reply]

The 26'' wheels are dead over here in Germany and Denmark so frame builders don't offer such geometry anymore.

There is also no more the "normal" TT2 triathlon bike only the TT2 light version which I wouldn't buy as I have more than 80 kilogramms.

regards,

Bav_Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that Principia had difficulty making the TT2 - it took toolong to produce the smooth fills where the tubes joined (I was told one man could only produce 1-2 frames a day! The TT2 light was a way out for Principia and enabled them tgo get the frames out of the factory.

In practice I doubt there is much difference in strength between the two frames - perhaps slightly worse aerodynamics on the light. I might be concerned if I weighed 100kg but not 80kg. Mind you I'm only 65kg!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You wouldn't buy it because of your weight of 80kg????

That must be a joke! Principia is making first class frames since many years now. You don't get the best siffness to weight ratio by making bikes that can't take a 80kg athlete.

And if it still is a problem, then start spinning those cranks and not killing them like a jackhammer, you'll be a better athlete!
Quote Reply
Re: Principia [agret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
You wouldn't buy it because of your weight of 80kg????

That must be a joke! Principia is making first class frames since many years now. You don't get the best siffness to weight ratio by making bikes that can't take a 80kg athlete.
[/reply]

I wrote " ... more than 80 kilogramm ...".
I bought a Principia T28 last year and one of my training buddies rides a TT2 (this is a very good bike). I also know a female triathlete who rides a TT2 light in our community ... but our two expert triathlon bike dealers here in Roth both told me I might be to heavy for a TT2 light and I think this was a good and honest advice. Don't misunderstand me I don't want to say anything bad about this bike but it is not the best choice for heavy riders.

regards

Frank

Quote Reply