Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Preparing for a Microdiscectomy and Laminectomy – L5/S1 Lumbar Spine
Quote | Reply

Preparing for a Microdiscectomy and Laminectomy – L5/S1 Lumbar Spine

I wanted to start a thread about “preparing for a microdiscectomy and laminectomy” in the hope it would help a lot of you who have made a decision to have the procedure. And I also wanted to give an overview of immediate life after microdiscectomy surgery based on the specific instructions I was given by my surgeon. And also give readers a list of the items I bought pre and post-op that helped in my recovery. Standard disclaimers, I am not a Doctor, don’t rely on anything I say as medical advice, do everything at your own risk etc, etc, blah, blah, blah…

1. Introduction.
2. Treat your Pre-Hab as Seriously as your Re-Hab.
3. Microdiscectomy Immediate Post-Op Life.
4. Stuff I bought Pre and Post-Surgery to Help.
5. Other Stuff that Helped.
6. Current Status and Exercise Program – September 1, 2020.

Introduction.

Lots of readers are searching this forum in anticipation of having a microdiscectomy as well as those, like me, that have had the procedure and are looking for help in recovery. Lots of you are also trying to get some form of reassurance as to the path back and what your prospects are for training/racing again. So I’m assuming for the purposes of this post that you’ve made the decision to have a microdiscectomy/or are about to have one. “Misery” loves company but so does “hope”. That’s why this forum was a great inspiration for me as I debated the “surgery” or “no-surgery” question right up to the night before when I finally started freaking out about what I was getting myself in to. I wanted to be that guy who came out of surgery positioned to be stronger than before as well as better educated about how to manage my training at 57 years old in a way that was going to keep me pain-free and turning up at the start line.

I’ve suffered through back pain for 15 years in various forms and it always generally resolved itself after 2-3 months – but not this time. I herniated my L5/S1 a few years back while training for Spartan World Champs. It got better enough for me to do that race but it re-herniated 8-9 months ago after a long bike training session as part of my training for 70.3 IM in Hawaii. Basically a massively stressed and tired body that had been hours in flexion (TT position) combined with bending, twisting and lifting – the perfect prescription for a herniation. My left-side disc protrusion measured 7 mm in depth, 10 mm in length, and ~13 mm across its base with significant S1 root compression (post-op I was told that my surgeon removed ~20% of the disc which was basically clamping on my nerve root). It just kept getting worse despite three lots of epidurals and countless sessions with all manner of therapists.

So I had microdiscectomy surgery at the end of July, 2020.

I took this surgery very seriously. I see posts of people back spinning on their bikes 1-week later in flexion, or driving after a few days, or slouching on coaches in YouTube “recovery” videos – basically doing all manner of things that you are not meant to be doing post-op. I wanted to follow a very conservative plan which was 100% in line with the Doctor’s orders because I wanted my result to be 100% recovery. This was made all the harder because I was also 100% free of pain from the moment I woke up and that’s still the case today. I feel pretty normal but I’m not going to be tricked into believing I’m healed – it’s a long process and it takes commitment and patience (see below for my Doctor’s post-op instructions).

Anyway, I wanted to give some tips on my preparation for surgery as well as some of the items I purchased to help me post-op. These items are listed at the end of this post and it’s basically a list of those things that I purchased on Amazon leading up to surgery as well as other items, resources, and tools I’m using post-op to help me with my recovery. So I hope this helps anyone in a similar position.

Treat your Pre-Hab as Seriously as your Re-Hab.

Firstly, I treated my pre-hab as seriously as I’m treating my re-hab. I wanted to be in the best physical and mental shape possible before surgery in order to help with a successful result. I originally had 2-weeks to prepare but that was reduced to 1.5-weeks when an appointment opened up. So I used that time to:
  • Lose weight. I had already lost weight over the previous month as I wanted to lean out more just to help with my back pain before I had decided to have surgery. I was already pretty lean but when I made the decision to have surgery I doubled down on my nutrition and lost another 4lbs during that last week. In the 3-weeks post-surgery I’ve lost another 7lbs all through just eating correctly. I’m pretty dialed in on this (read my book if you are interested – “Your New Prime” by Craig Cooper) so it wasn’t that hard for me. Obviously, the less load on your lumbar spine the better. And remember, you’re going to be incapacitated for a long time so you have to get your nutrition dialed in so as to avoid any weight gain post-op. The fact that I was walking pretty much immediately helped, as did my 3 x daily walks as prescribed by my Doctor. Eliminating all alcohol in those weeks leading up to surgery also had a massive impact on how I recovered after as well as my weight leading in to the procedure.
  • Practice Virtual Surgery. I behaved like I had actually had the surgery and practiced “virtual surgery” – basically moving in a manner that was spine healthy in order to reduce the inflammation as much as possible. No biking or running – just walking, as well as traction-based strength work (dips, pull-ups, push-ups), and swimming and Foundation Training – no stretching.
  • I tried to reduce inflammation as much as possible in the lead up weeks. I started taking a lot of CDB, upwards of 300-400ml a day. Honestly, I think it had zero effect and was a waste of money.
  • I prepped myself for post-op by telling my staff not to bother me for a few days, developing behaviors like learning how to get in and out of bed by rolling (see below), sitting and standing properly using a hip-hinge and not bending in flexion, putting shoes and socks on lying down, and organizing stuff I would need post-op (see below).
  • I also prepped mentally, focusing on the fact that this procedure would make me stronger and force me to look at all my movement patterns and training so as to make sure I wasn’t perpetuating the movements that injured me in the first place. It’s a myth that there is “non-specific back pain” as touted by many online and in the clinical world. There is a reason for everything. You need to identify that reason and make changes to avoid it going forward.
Microdiscectomy Immediate Post-Op Life.

Below is a snapshot of my Doctor’s orders. These are the instructions and procedures he gives to all his microdiscectomy patients. Note that my personal program after my 3-week follow up was different than the below as I had recovered so well (see: “Current Status” below). But the following is based on standard practices I was told to follow:

1. I have to wear a back brace for 8 weeks post-op whenever I am standing or moving – but not when I am lying down. If I’m sitting up or reclining in bed however (not lying down) I also have to keep it on. The brace I was given at the hospital when I was discharged is called the “Aspen Horizon 627 LSO”. It’s super comfortable and supportive, and I think it serves 2 purposes – firstly to provide lumbar support when moving – but mostly for me it provides a constant reminder to brace my core and surrounding musculature whenever I moved – and also to never put myself into flexion in any form. See below my recommendation in regards to Dr. Stuart McGill’s “Back Mechanics” book where you can learn about developing what he calls “stiffness” and “bracing”. These techniques will/should become a part of your life going forward as you learn more tools for better spine hygiene. By the way, of all the videos I watched online of patients experiences post-op I didn’t see one where it was recommended by their surgeon that they wear a back brace. I would highly recommend it so if your surgeon doesn’t offer it I would ask him/her why not.

2. I was told to alternate my body position from sitting, lying and standing every 10-20 minutes during the day. I was allowed to lie down for longer periods of time as tolerated. I have to avoid sitting/reclining more than 20 minutes at a time for the first 6 weeks after surgery. I was told to take frequent short walks immediately post-operatively on firm FLAT surfaces – 5 to 10 minutes walks, 3-4 times a day and increasing length as tolerated, but not exceeding 15 minutes until their first post op visit. I was walking on my treadmill on the afternoon of my surgery and I am still doing 3 walks a day outside – 20-30 minutes each time – at what is my normal fast walking pace – and I am feeling great. In fact, it’s the highlight of my day!

3. You have to avoid all bending, stooping and twisting for the first six weeks following surgery. No lifting anything greater than 10 pounds for the first 6 weeks. No stretching of your legs or any exercise except for walking until you’re directed to do so by your surgeon. You have to avoid doing any type of activity that involves pushing or pulling for the first six weeks. You are also not allowed to go in a pool, Jacuzzi or the ocean for 2 weeks post-op. This is for 2 reasons – to avoid the incision being infected (Jacuzzi, ocean, and pool bacteria), and also to avoid additional inflammation from heat. You can shower anytime but no baths until 2-weeks after surgery (for the obvious reason that a bath loads your lumbar spine in flexion).

4. You’re not allowed to take any anti-inflammatory medicine including Aspirin, Naprosyn or Ibuprofen for the first 6 weeks following surgery. I was allowed to take Tylenol and the other prescribed pain medication I was given on discharge. I was given Percocet (for pain) and Valium (to help sleep). I took Percocet for one night only and that’s it. No Valium. If you have to take Percocet (Oxycontin) you will need to also take a stool softener like Colace. Percocet is heavy stuff. I can see why it’s such a problem for so many.

5. You need to be conscious of any potential infection at the incision site including redness, swelling, warmth, bleeding or oozing. My incision was covered with a sterile super glue seal after surgery which peels off after 2-3 weeks. Don’t touch this or encourage it to peel off – it will do so on its own. My covering of my incision lasted 3-weeks. When the Doctor took it off I honestly couldn’t even see the scar. It’s like a 1” hairline. Nearly invisible.

6. I had to constantly ice the area of the incision for 20 minutes per hour, 6-8 times per day for the first 2 weeks following surgery then as needed for the next six weeks. My surgeon advised doing this while lying down with pillows (or a bolster) under my legs to take the pressure off of the lower back (see “Stuff I bought” below). Unless I’m in the shower I was also told to avoid all heat. My routine is basically whenever I’m not walking I’m either lying down or just “up and about” in my house on phone calls or whatever. And I’m icing 2x an hour through most of the day and immediately after one of my walks.

7. I was initially advised that physical therapy appointments could begin after the 6-week follow-up visit and would be scheduled for 2-3 times per week for 4-8 weeks (note: as you will read below I was subsequently told I could start PT immediately after my 3 week follow up consultation). You absolutely have to do your research here. There is so much disinformation on the Internet as to post-op recovery PT. Your PT must have a history of lumbar spine rehabilitation for microdiscectomies and I would absolutely recommend in the strongest terms that before you start physio you read the works of Dr. Stuart McGill in the following order: “Back Mechanics”, “Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance”, and finally, “The Gift of Injury”. Take the time to understand the mechanics of your injury and how to avoid the patterns of movement that got you in the position you are in today. Hands-down these are “must reads” before you start any PT program. Base your recovery on proper science – not blog posts or YouTube videos. Ask your PT what his/her program is for building back strength post microdiscectomy. Make sure they have a clear plan and clinical basis behind their program and not one that is just based on “needing to build up your core”.

8. No driving for the first two weeks after surgery. After the first post-op visit I will apparently be told when I can drive. I can be a passenger in a car, however I have to avoid long car trips (anything over 30 minutes) for the first 6 weeks post-op. No travel by airplane until ~8 weeks post-op and only if cleared to do so (fat chance during COVID). If I do get on a plane, no lifting bags or anything into overhead lockers, and I should wear my back brace at all times.

9. You are told you can start light work, such as office work, 2 weeks following surgery. I was back working the next day after my surgery (my work does not involve manual labor). Everyone will differ. If I was still on Percocet I imagine I would have struggled to think straight.

10. Certain sporting activities such as tennis, golf, basketball and running are restricted for 12-weeks following surgery and only then if released to do so by your surgeon (these are the sports he listed on the instructions – as if I would go play tennis and golf!). Given my injuries, I was told that my path would probably be more like the following: released for PT after ~6 weeks, stationary bike riding after ~8-10 weeks, swimming after ~6 weeks (no breaststroke – only freestyle – and I’m going to be using a snorkel and a pool buoy to immobilize my legs for some time), no running for a year! (that one I’m going to have a big problem with – I honestly don’t think this will apply given the state of how I am feeling at the moment – I’m basically wanting to break into a jog every time I go out walking!). I’m hoping to return to strength training after about 3-months. Based on the program recommendations of Dr. McGill (see above books) I’ll have a 6-12 month progressive build focusing on very specific do’s and don’ts. Luckily the do’s include most of my favorite body-weight strength exercises – push-ups, pull-ups, dips, single leg lunges, and other exercises designed and scientifically proven to build strength without loading the lumbar spine (all based on McGill’s clinical studies). Again, it’s all in the books outlined above. The main thing is to take it slowly and to understand and avoid the movement patterns that got you injured in the first place. What’s the definition of insanity? – “same thing same result”. So you need to identify what is causing the breakdown in your back health and develop a plan to avoid those movement patterns while you strengthen your capacity to tolerate lumbar load in the future. The idea is to keep your spine healthy and as stress free as possible in those hours of the day that you are not exercising in order to allow your back to take on extra load when you do train. In effect, save it for training by treating it with respect all the other waking hours! How you brush your teeth, sit on the toilet, put your socks on, get in and out of a car. This stress on your back all adds up during the day and contributes in an incremental way to a stronger or weaker back depending on your movement patterns.

11. Finally, although it was not part of Dr’s orders you have to learn to “log roll” in and out of bed before you have surgery and practice it until you master it. It seems simple but it takes a few times to master it. As soon as you get home you will need this skill. It’s the safest way to get in and out of bed and should become your standard procedure going forward. Here’s a link to learn.

Stuff I bought Pre and Post-Surgery to Help.

Here’s a list of stuff I purchased to help in my recovery and some other tips and tricks:
  • Walking stick. Yup, sounds mental, but it was a great help the first week if I needed something to help push me up – like off the toilet. I used this collapsible walking stick.
  • Chair bolster. I probably only sat down 4-5 times in the first 3 weeks post-op (apart from going to the toilet) but when I did I used this on my chair (the same one I always use in my car). The McKenzie Lumbar Roll.
  • Leg bolster. I slept with this the first two weeks to keep my legs elevated and back straight. The Restorology Elevating Foam Leg Rest Pillow - Wedge Pillow
  • Grabby tool. The best thing I bought and I’m still using it. I bought this one.
  • Colace stool softener. – Buy this before surgery. If you are taking Percocet or anything similar you will need it.
  • Extended shoehorn. I basically wear running shoes/Hoka’s all the time with stretch laces. So this helps you easily slip in to your shoes standing up with no bending. Here’s the one I bought.
  • Ice packs. These ones are awesome. I was on ice 2x every hour pretty much the first 2 weeks. I put this ice pack in a plastic trash bag (standard kitchen waste basket liner) and laid it on top of a towel on the bed and then laid on the trash bag covered pack. That way it had maximum ice-impact while not burning my skin, which has happened to me before while icing directly on skin.
  • Bed lumbar support. If you are spending a lot of time lying down you will need a lumbar support to stop your back flattening into the bed. This is the one I used. You position the top of the support directly under your lumbar spine.
  • Showering. I was allowed to shower the next day but a lot of Doctors don’t want you to shower for anything from 3-7 days after surgery. If that is the case you might want to buy some body wipes to stay fresh and wipe yourself down with. These are the ones I used.

Other Stuff that Helped.

I moved into a separate room from my wife so I could set up a re-hab chamber and have all my stuff around me and so I wouldn’t wake her at night. Some of the other things you might want to consider:

I had a large bedside table that was in easy reach so I didn’t have to always strain or bend to get to it. Make sure everything is within arms-length assuming you are lying on your back. So if you’re on the right side of the bed make sure you can reach everything on the right-hand side table with your right hand without moving or twisting.

Set up a power-strip for all your electronics and chargers on your side table. Also have room for a water bottle (I used a CamelBak with a sippy straw), and maybe a torch. I also had a separate pillow to put between my legs if I turned on my side while in bed. Get all this set up before surgery so it’s all ready when you get home.

Sleep was my hardest challenge. For the first 2-weeks I was pretty much taking Tylenol PM every night but nothing stronger. My Doctor said to take Valium (half dose every night, which he had given me when I was discharged from the surgery center) but I didn’t want to do that. Sleep is so important for healing so take whatever works for you if you are struggling to get a full 6-7 hours.

Current Status and Exercise Program - September 1, 2020.

I had my first follow up at 3-weeks. I was still pain free and felt pretty good. At the appointment I was told I could start physiotherapy 2x a week immediately which I was not expecting. I thought it was going to be at least 6-weeks before starting PT based on my post-op instructions - so that was awesome. I was also told I could start swimming (freestyle only) in 2-weeks (so that would be 5-weeks total post-op) but I had to wait until I saw him again in another 3-weeks before being allowed to do anything else like ride a stationary bike (KICKR/Zwift). If I’m cleared for biking at that time that would be 6-weeks total post-op before being able to do all of swim, bike, physio, light strength work – so there is hope and something to look forward to!

Other than that I’m super happy I had the surgery. I’ve started physio and am back in the pool (we have one in our neighborhood so I can walk to it as I told I still cannot drive). I’m doing ~500m of swimming 3x a week at the moment.

Here’s a summary of my basic physio and exercise program 5-weeks post-op:

From Day-1:

Treadmill (3 x a day every day for 20-30mins).

From 3-Weeks Post-Op Added:

Twice a day, every day, the following (the first 3 exercises are known as the “McGill Big 3” as outlined in his books described above):

Bird dogs (6/4/2 each side descending set - 10 seconds each rep)
Side planks (6/4/2 each side descending set - 10 seconds each rep)
McGill curl-ups (6/4/2 descending set - 10 seconds each rep)
“Stir the pots” on Swiss ball (4 sets of 20-30seconds each creating figure 8’s with elbows)
Bear crawls (10 forwards, 10 backwards – 3 sets)
Farmer walks - single side w/ 25lb Kettlebell carry (50 meters each side)
TRX pull-ups (8/6/4/2 descending set)
TRX pull-ups (8/6/4/2 descending set)

From 5-Weeks Post-Op Added:

Lap swimming every second day with snorkel and pool buoy so as to avoid twisting – ~ 500m, and planning to slowly increase mileage every week (started 5-weeks post op).

That’s it for now.

I’ve also increased the handlebar height on my bike in preparation for getting back on the stationary trainer by wrapping these around the bar. This increases the height about 1.5inches so I don’t have to bend over in flexion so much.

I’m pretty confident I’ll be at or near as strong as I was before – but just in a different way. One thing is for certain, a lot of my movement patterns are being left in the past as I adapt to prioritizing my back and spinal health.

I’ll update as necessary. I hope this helps some of you.

Craig.

PS. Just read a post on the Slowtwitch site about Kelly Fillnow's return from her bike accident. Loved how she treats "recovery as her new sport" - that's a great mindset to follow.
Last edited by: newportcoaster: Aug 31, 20 11:40
Quote Reply
Re: Preparing for a Microdiscectomy and Laminectomy – L5/S1 Lumbar Spine [newportcoaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much for this very detailed write-up, and for the recommendation for Dr. McGill's book. I just ordered it. This has been on my mind lately, as I've battled with lower back pain on and off for 25 years. My most recent flare-up has lasted for ~ 4 months, and it's only been in the last 3 weeks or so that I've been able to start running a little again. I saw an orthopedic/spine specialist a few weeks ago and he took an x-ray which showed "moderate to severe degeneration of the L5/S1 disc". I had an MRI today and have a follow-up with the Dr. scheduled for Thursday. Based on the x-ray he felt that the likely course of action was PT along with an epidural cortizone injection but wanted to see the MRI first.

Everyone I've spoken to about this so far has indicated that "you want to put off surgery as long as possible." I understand the rationale for this, but I think there's also an argument to be made for the fact that I'd probably heal faster and more completely now (age 51) than I might at age 60 or 65 or whatever. I'm currently in good physical shape (having been training for 70.3 Santa Rosa up until it was cancelled). You said youv'e suffered with back pain for 15 years. You're pretty early into your recovery, so you may or may not be able to answer this question yet, but knowing what you know now, would you have waited as long as you did or would you have done the surgery earlier?
Quote Reply
Re: Preparing for a Microdiscectomy and Laminectomy – L5/S1 Lumbar Spine [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@elgato every time I had had an injury before I had recovered in a few months and it was never as bad as the last pre-surgery injury in terms of longevity, pain, and visible impact on my lumbar spine based on the MRI. My orthopedic doctor in Newport Beach, CA always told me that an MRI was always just a "guide" and was never to be used definitively to determine whether to recommend surgery or not. It was 6-7 months before we both agreed that surgery was a good option for me as it was just impacting my lifestyle too much. I am 100% glad I did it as I feel like this will be a faster track back for me in the long run and given COVID/no races it was the best time personally for me to do it. You sound like you are a candidate for what McGill calls "virtual surgery" which you can read about in his book. Here's a short description: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HseQZVZLYM0. Basically, a month or two of rest with the PT procedures prescribed in his book - nothing else.
Quote Reply
Re: Preparing for a Microdiscectomy and Laminectomy – L5/S1 Lumbar Spine [newportcoaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying to myself.

10 weeks post-op.

In addition to all the above rehab and home exercises I'm now also doing physiotherapy 2 x a week w/ @Prosport in Costa Mesa, CA.

Also swimming 3x a week, up to 1000m. Mainly drills. No flip turns and push offs are at about 25% of usual force.

Did a video consult with Dr. Stuart McGill (ref: my post above) on specific rehab which pretty much follows what I set out in my post above. One difference was how I was going to build leg strength when (1) no running, (2) no weight load on lumbar spine, and (3) no walking hills (which is standard advice from your surgeon post-op). His suggestion is to do do "backward walking" to re-train and strengthen your legs. It does involve hills but the idea is you find a hill of about 100m and you walk backwards up it. Then you immediately walk down it. Then back up it in a normal forward manner. That's basically it. So even though I still technically am walking one section up the hill I concentrate on not being in flexion or bent forward. And it's actually the backwards part that is most challenging on your quads. It definitely works.

For cycling, after my consult last week w/ my surgeon he ok'd me for stationary bike (that would have been 9-weeks post-op) "but" I am independently following Dr. McGills prescription here that he gave me in advance of being allowed back on the bike by my surgeon. And that was to apply "progressive load" in 3 day cycles. Day 1 (first day back): do 3 minutes high cadence and very little resistance. Day 2: rest and see if you have any symptoms - do nothing. Day 3: repeat day 1 and cycle for 4-5 minutes but "only" if you have no symptoms. If you have symptoms then you are not ready. If no symptoms then you can continue with the exact same 3-day cycle and progressively build the cycle time on the saddle but only in very very small increments. And he means "small". Like if your first day was 3 minutes then the next time should be 4-5 minutes. Then maybe 6 minutes. Don't be in a hurry. Monitor your symptoms first and foremost.
Last edited by: newportcoaster: Oct 8, 20 16:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been putting this same surgery off for about 8 years now. As tired as I am of my leg going numb reading this thread just tells me keep holding off lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Preparing for a Microdiscectomy and Laminectomy – L5/S1 Lumbar Spine [Hollywood_USAF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it all sounds scary but I'm super glad I did it and pulled the trigger especially at the moment with no races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is a great write up and mirrors a lot of my experiences. A couple things I would add. ( I am also not a doctor)

Don't feel the surgery, obviously this depends on how bad your symptoms are, but I fought having it for about a year. Mostly because so many people said "if you have back surgery at 32, you are going to regret it" "your back will never be the same if you have surgery" ETC. maybe this was true in the past, maybe I was very lucky. But for me, it was night and day difference in 36 hours. (really less than that, but I am sure the nerve block had something to do with feeling good for the first 24 hours) My only regret was not doing it sooner. In the weeks before the surgery I was crawling between rooms when I would wake up in the morning. 2 days later I was walking 20 min on the treadmill feeling better than I had in months!

Have your support people ready. I had a 1.5 year old when I did mine. You can't lift more than 8 LBS for 1 to 2 months. It was hard. I had a friend who would text my wife on his way home from work, and ask if she needed anything lifted. My wife is 5'2 so even things that were not super heavy, but were up high required some planning or help.

Your back will "go out" 3x in the first 6 months. My PT told me this right after the surgery. I laughed with triumph that mine only went out twice in 6 months, then it went out the 3rd time 2 weeks later. All your prior symptoms will come back, you will think you ruined everything, it will suck. The first time it lasted about 2 weeks, second time 10 days and the 3rd time about 5 days. It seems it is part of the process.

Back to my first point (humblebrag) 4 months after my surgery I rode 70 miles, 6 months after I ran a 10k (could have done this sooner, but I was VERY cautious with running) 9 months postOP I ran a half Marathon, and 18 months postOP I PRed Ironman Arizona. Trust the process, put in the PT and listen to your body.
Quote Reply
Re: Preparing for a Microdiscectomy and Laminectomy – L5/S1 Lumbar Spine [Eroc43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m 31 and on day 119 of my 2nd disc herniation of L5-S1.

First time it happened when I was squatting 6 years ago. Felt a pop stopped working out and the next day couldn’t get out of bed and went to ER. Got an MRI they confirmed L5-S1 and prepped me for surgery. Spent the night in hospital and they told me the next morning they weren’t performing surgery because of my age and told me they were going to set me up with chiropractor care. Pain was terrible they sent me home. Within 4 days I was back to work with no pain. This was even before my first chiropractic visit. I completed chiropractic care for a couple weeks and then was on my way. Numbness lasted about 2 months but was minimal. I had no idea about what I had just done and it was completely gone so fast that I never even googled anything about it.

6 years go by I get married we have a couple
Kids all completely pain free. Went to some chiropractor visits here and there throughout the years but nothing crazy. Maybe 3 times a year.

We move back to our hometown and I set up a chiropractic appt with someone new. October 28th I go in for my first routine adjustment. The next day has changed my life. Couldn’t get out of bed just like 6 years ago. I don’t panic because I think it will be gone in a couple days. Well 2 months went by where I literally couldn’t walk, sit, or stand without excruciating pain radiating down my leg. Laying down provided instant relief.

During those two months I went to drs and did PT nothing was working. I came across the back mechanic and gift of injury read those and just try to keep walking even if it was only a couple min. Nothing worked.

I set up an appt with a spine specialist and they prescribe me prednisone for 6 days. On day 1 I was up to a 12 min walk around the block. Then kept progressing from there. I got up to 3 30 min walks a day and stood the rest of the day avoided sitting at all costs. I work at a computer at a standing desk.

The month of January I was progressing and doing McGill big 3 and my walking and standing at all times. Almost back to a normal life.

February starts and I’m about 80% health. Mind you my pain is constant everyday but very manageable. Like a 1-3 in my upper back thigh. Mornings are the best and usually through out the day it gets a little worse. But some days better than others. I don’t take any medications for it.

I’m back to helping my wife with our 2 kids a 3 and 4 year old. The best I can. Not going crazy. I do snowblow the driveway and take out the trash all being mindful of my back though.

Well last Wednesday I went to bed pain free and woke up back to where I was October 29th. Insane. In fact it was worse I couldn’t get relief in my back. I called an ambulance it was so bad they had to remove me with a stretcher.

In the ER I get a bunch of meds and get the pain to manageable and hobble out of there. Yesterday I met with the surgeon again and am waiting until next Friday to make my decision if I should go through with surgery or not.

My question is how is everyone doing now that more time has passed. It scares me to think that even after surgery I could feel like this again.

I think with more time I would heal again but I need to get back to work and help my family. My work is video editing so at a standing desk not labor intensive. but these past 4 months have been a nightmare. I can’t imagine constantly loosing months of time and trying to keep a job and supporting a family.

It’s a tough decision to make.
Quote Reply