Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Premier Tactical [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is anyone running an XLAB Stealth Pocket (200, 300 or 500) on the top tube? Any feedback?
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [dcon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcon wrote:
Is anyone running an XLAB Stealth Pocket (200, 300 or 500) on the top tube? Any feedback?

ive used a profile design rubber pouch on the top tube, dont remember the name / make / model. i liked it but had to use some homemade rubber spacers to get it picked up off the top tube a little for steering clearance.

i ditched it for my last race, but kinda wish i wouldnt have because i had to hold an empty gel wrapper for about 15 miles in my right hand.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I want something that will hold a small gel flask. I always put two gels in a Powerbar flask, top it off with water and shake to mix. I cannot handle the undiluted gels. From the pictures of the Profile Design ATTK, I am guessing that narrow slot on the top is not going to handle a gel flask.

damon.lebeouf wrote:
dcon wrote:

ive used a profile design rubber pouch on the top tube, dont remember the name / make / model. i liked it but had to use some homemade rubber spacers to get it picked up off the top tube a little for steering clearance.

i ditched it for my last race, but kinda wish i wouldnt have because i had to hold an empty gel wrapper for about 15 miles in my right hand.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [dcon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcon wrote:
Thanks. I want something that will hold a small gel flask. I always put two gels in a Powerbar flask, top it off with water and shake to mix. I cannot handle the undiluted gels. From the pictures of the Profile Design ATTK, I am guessing that narrow slot on the top is not going to handle a gel flask.

damon.lebeouf wrote:
dcon wrote:

the attk, thats the one!

yes, i doubt a flask would fit due to the height of it also. its pretty "short".

Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those who have flat courses - here is some data on our 1X set up for consideration. I have been running an Aerocoach LTD UK 55 tooth single carbon fiber chainring on some training rides.

Premier Tactical 1X Drivetrain Setup vs Baseline

The Premier Tactical is designed to have both a traditional 2X Drivetrain chain ring setup, and a 1X Drivetrain chain ring setup. The small chain ring, front derailleur, and front derailleur mount were all removed for this test.

Drag in Grams @ 30mph
Angle
Premier Tactical 2X
Premier Tactical 1X

Differential

-15 degrees
429 vs 371

-12.5 degrees
464. vs 417

-10 degrees
510. vs 472

-7.5 degrees
551 vs 527

-5 degrees
606 vs 595

-2.5 degrees
647. vs 640

0 degrees
656. vs 641

+2.5 degrees
654. vs 637

+5 degrees
607 vs 593

+7.5 degrees
523. vs 515

+10 degrees
462. vs 460

+12.5 degrees
402. vs 384

+15 degrees
364. vs 363

There is limited data publicly available for the aerodynamic differences a 1X Drivetrain offers over a traditional 2X Drivetrain. To be clear, a 1X Drivetrain setup is referring to a single chainring on the drive side crank arm with no front derailleur on the bike; a 2X Drivetrain is a traditional double chainring on the drive side with a front derailleur. The results are interesting as there’s a small reduction in drag at yaw angles below 7.5, but quite clearly a significant reduction in drag on the non-drive side of the bike at higher yaw angles. It’s speculative, but not overly so, to presume this reduction at higher yaw is due to the missing smaller chainring and shielding by the BB cover, as it’s exposure is significant on the non-drive side at higher yaw angles. (excerpt from our wind tunnel testing paper).

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Last edited by: dkennison: Jun 30, 19 15:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for that info! thats pretty interesting!

so i can pull all my DI2 out of my premier and slap it on my roadie, and go 1X on my tri bike! :-D

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw one of your bikes in person for the first time today at CDA 70.3, it looked great! Very clean and the aerobar tilt kit looked good.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. There are a lot more bikes at races now. Easier to see :-)

Dan Kennison

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My tactical deivetrain is stock. Would an 11-32 cassette work with the RD? If it would, could I just remove the small chainring from the regular ultegra crankset and run the big one, take off the FD and be all set for 1x?
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [Bigbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have the 8000 series (Tactical 2.0) rear mech you can run the 32. I'm not sure if the 6800 cage can take a 32.

You would need the shorter 4 chainring fasteners if you just eliminate one ring but you can do that.

You received a small black alloy piece with the bike that will attach with the front Derailleur screws and fill in the space where the front hanger goes - that will smooth the frame.

My front ring is not a wide/narrow and I have not had any chain drop but I ride a lot of flat roads so I don't get into the top cassette cogs much - using an 11/23. I do have our new oversize ceramic pulley wheels on the standard Shimano cage in the rear; which are wide/narrow.

Dan Kennison

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I think I'll give it a try. Fair amount of hills around here, but I think 32 teeth would get me up them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did a 62mi organized group ride Saturday. Mostly road bikes but a few tri bikes. Came home the last 15 or so miles in a group of 5 and got some compliments on the bike. One guy said “man, I think that’s about the most aero bike I’ve ever seen. Looks fast!” Then when it was my turn to pull we hit a flat stretch and as I was dropping down on the aero bars he yelled from behind “get down on that and let it rip!”

Fun ride and the bike really is slippery. Lots of sections where the group would coast down some hills, and I was having to slow myself down to not run up into people. Even some people who were still pedaling.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
Did a 62mi organized group ride Saturday. Mostly road bikes but a few tri bikes. Came home the last 15 or so miles in a group of 5 and got some compliments on the bike. One guy said “man, I think that’s about the most aero bike I’ve ever seen. Looks fast!” Then when it was my turn to pull we hit a flat stretch and as I was dropping down on the aero bars he yelled from behind “get down on that and let it rip!”

Fun ride and the bike really is slippery. Lots of sections where the group would coast down some hills, and I was having to slow myself down to not run up into people. Even some people who were still pedaling.

I agree and I think it’s all because the design of the front is superb. It’s why I hate to add too much stuff there. A BTA and maybe a bento for a full.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I remember, it’s optimized for a Profile design FC BTA system, with either no drag penalty, or even an improvement in aerodynamics. Even if it did increase drag, it lets me keep on top of hydration better, and I don’t have to reach back for a bottle and break out of aero. So I don’t mind it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new front hydration/storage will be ready in 30 days. It's been designed for speed and flexibility with respect to race distance. I got the final samples in a few days ago and everything is working perfectly. With that front hydration the bike will be even faster.

Dan Kennison

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have been watching the progress and I’m definitely interested! Will you be able to refill it in the fly? That’s one thing I like about the FC, when it runs out I can grab a rear bottle, cram it in the hole, fill it back up, and keep rolling without really missing a beat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The system has a main unit 29 oz for either hydration or concentrate depending on the length of your even. It also has a 20 oz bottle on top that that can be swapped out and fits in either a normal cage or a cage with storage for nutrition depending on how you want to set it up. The complete kit will come with all the items so you can change it out as needed. There are some images of the CAD files in earlier posts.

Dan Kennison

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Except that neither the FC or the new kit is designed or tested with the tilted extensions. So for anyone who has a tilt, it’s speculation whether there is drag created or not. So for that reason, I’m keeping the front clean except for a cage.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm really excited for the hydration kit. I just got an FC35 a month ago, and I really hate it. I'd love for some users to shine some light on these things if anyone has a solution:

1.)The super janky red tie down- I just use zip ties now. Hack.

2.) Drinking tube leaking at the base. Any thoughts?

3.) I bought 2 different bite valve replacements and they didn't fit the tube. User error! Who has a decent replacement? The bite valve on the FC35 really sucks.

4.) I currently have a small piece of foam attached on the front of my frame to prevent knocking from the FC35 on the bike. I can't stand how this thing bounces back and forth. I have the velco super tight, and the only way I can avoid the rattling is to zip tie everything down.

Hopefully this is all user error, but I was a bit surprised to see how shitty the FC35 felt to me after all the good reviews online.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
The new front hydration/storage will be ready in 30 days. It's been designed for speed and flexibility with respect to race distance. I got the final samples in a few days ago and everything is working perfectly. With that front hydration the bike will be even faster.

i am excited about this!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are the pics of my Delta 400 mounted as well as the Varia

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
woohoo! another dash user!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love it! Went through 4 saddles prior to this one on this bike. Was a little skeptical when I saw how SMALL the saddle was... and it took a few rides to get dialed in on it. But now, it's wonderful! I don't even think about it. Totally worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the interesting thing is it worked great for me on the trainer. it pretty much disappeared under me. there was something about it that just wasnt right for a 70.3 back in april, not quite sure what it was. i need to do a little more work to get it just right.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been on a few 50-60 mile rides outdoors and any bumps are definitely transferred through the saddle. I'm primarily riding indoors now on Zwift, mostly due to the abundance of traffic whizzing by at 65 mph while updating their fb status and sipping a spiced pumpkin latte, totally oblivious to the fact that I would practically explode on impact were they to swerve the wrong way at the wrong time.. I digress...

I've been researching the 1x setup for my tactical. I hardly use the small chainring currently anyway. I have the drivetrain that the 2.0 comes with out of the box - 52-36 crank, 11-25 (or is it 23?) cassette. I have other cassettes to experiment with, including 11-28, which I feel will be enough low gearing for me. I was originally planning on trying to take off the inner chainring from the Ultegra 8000 crankset and use the original outer 52t chainring. I have ordered some shorter bolts from Wolf Tooth, but I don't think it's going to work. I have not disassembled my crank as of yet (although I have a few times in the past on different bikes, but can't recall this detail), but looking through photos and videos, it seems that the threaded collar on the outer chainring will protrude through the holes in the crank arm slightly. Normally the inner chainring would be placed over these collars and you would tighten up. But with a 1x set up, I don't think the bolts, no matter how short, will be able to snug up the outer ring. It may be accomplished with some sort of spacer/washer, but I'm not keen on using those. So I have ordered an Absolute Black 50t 1x chainring that includes mounting bolts. I really like the Aero Coach like Dan is using, but 54t is too much for me I think... and the 52t aluminum version is unavailable in 110 BCD x 4 according to their website. I also considered a Q Ring QX1, but I read on comp cyclist that it will not work on 110 x 4, only the 5 bolt cranks. I sent Rotor an email and am awaiting their response on this. I like the looks of the Absolute Black, just wish it was more aero. It is labeled as a CX chainring, so can't fault them on the lack of aero.

I think with the 50t up front and the choice of 11-23, 11-25, and 11-28 cassettes, I should be able to get a good setup for any training rides or races that I do. I'll try to post some updates with photos as I'm going and when complete.

Here's the chainring I ordered:

Last edited by: Bigbird: Jul 1, 19 8:09
Quote Reply

Prev Next