Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Preliminary results from study on cannabis use in athletes
Quote | Reply
Hi Slowtwitch. I want to thank all of you who participated in The Athlete PEACE Survey, our study that aimed to characterize cannabis use in athletes. I presented some preliminary data at The Institute of Cannabis Research Conference at CSU Pueblo over the weekend and now I want to share the results with you.

The main findings were that 26% of community-based self-defined athletes use cannabis. 61% use it for pain. Cannabis was effective for sleep, pain reduction, and reducing anxiety. Adverse effects were increased appetite, increased anxiety, and difficulty concentrating.

I am putting links up for you to peruse the slides and abstract.
Slides
Abstract

If you have questions, I will do my best to answer them.
Quote Reply
Re: Preliminary results from study on cannabis use in athletes [Joannazeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joanna,

Thank you for sharing this.

As cannabis legality and usage spreads, this is important information.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Preliminary results from study on cannabis use in athletes [Joannazeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joannazeiger wrote:
Hi Slowtwitch. I want to thank all of you who participated in The Athlete PEACE Survey, our study that aimed to characterize cannabis use in athletes. I presented some preliminary data at The Institute of Cannabis Research Conference at CSU Pueblo over the weekend and now I want to share the results with you.

The main findings were that 26% of community-based self-defined athletes use cannabis. 61% use it for pain. Cannabis was effective for sleep, pain reduction, and reducing anxiety. Adverse effects were increased appetite, increased anxiety, and difficulty concentrating.

I am putting links up for you to peruse the slides and abstract.
Slides
Abstract

If you have questions, I will do my best to answer them.

'Those surveyed say they felt that' should be inserted before the word Cannabis in your findings.
There is no proof here so you cannot simply say that it is effective without backing it up.
I hope the rest of your research is far less sloppy than this.
Quote Reply
Re: Preliminary results from study on cannabis use in athletes [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This 100%. If this is purely based off anecdotal survey responses, then it isn't science at all.

I feel like shaving my legs saves me 50W on the bike
Quote Reply
Re: Preliminary results from study on cannabis use in athletes [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to clarify that this study was approved by an Institutional Review Board prior to our initiating the survey. The abstract I posted was accepted via peer-review. Our methodology is meticulous and science based and we can therefore use the results to make some conclusions. Anecdotal evidence is when people gather around and say whether or not cannabis works for them or not. A study of this type adds to the growing evidence-based literature on the positive and adverse effects of cannabis. If you notice, in the title I called these preliminary results and not the final word. We will be conducting other similar studies to determine if these findings can be replicated in other populations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the topic you've chosen to study is fascinating and there is a need to learn more. However, the methodology is inherently flawed. Self-selection bias with surveys is massive and there is simply no actual scientific testing being administered.

For this to be in any way valid, I would want to see results from these athletes coming from a lab or some form of actual hard data. Are they actually recovering faster? Do they actually sleep better? How do you measure "less pain"?

Simply emailing out a survey and getting a bunch of people who use THC/CBD to say "yeah man, i think this stuff works" isn't science and no conclusions should be drawn off that.
Quote Reply
Re: Preliminary results from study on cannabis use in athletes [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you mean aside from attracting more funding and further support for potential additional studies on the ways cannabis is used by athletes in order to determine whether or not there are verifiable benefits for its use in recovery??

I'm not read in the literature, but I think up until now there probably hasn't been a whole lot of research on the subject. Now that it is gaining popularity and becoming increasingly more legalized, I think this is a good way to determine if this is a good avenue to research. This is preliminary after all and the author is establishing grounds for why his research is directed towards its study - I imagine anyways.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Preliminary results from study on cannabis use in athletes [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I am stoned I sleep like a baby. When I am stoned I donā€™t feel much pain. So weed must work?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
I think the topic you've chosen to study is fascinating and there is a need to learn more. However, the methodology is inherently flawed. Self-selection bias with surveys is massive and there is simply no actual scientific testing being administered.

For this to be in any way valid, I would want to see results from these athletes coming from a lab or some form of actual hard data. Are they actually recovering faster? Do they actually sleep better? How do you measure "less pain"?

Simply emailing out a survey and getting a bunch of people who use THC/CBD to say "yeah man, i think this stuff works" isn't science and no conclusions should be drawn off that.

Lol, look who just finished psych 101
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The plural of anecdote is not data.
Self-reported, uncontrolled, no identification of confounders. Much to my dismay, this is useless other than establishing THC and/or CBD consumption.
Quote Reply
Re: Preliminary results from study on cannabis use in athletes [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thorax wrote:
Self-reported, uncontrolled, no identification of confounders. Much to my dismay, this is useless other than establishing THC and/or CBD consumption.

There has been better at 8th grade science fairs
Quote Reply
Re: Preliminary results from study on cannabis use in athletes [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, I know ST is harsh, but really???? I conducted an IRB approved study and appealed to ST to help fill it out. I wanted to share my results to maintain goodwill and to perhaps help inform athletes about the benefits and adverse effects of cannabis. Instead, I am being denigrated for no apparent reason. The field of epidemiology is largely based on questionnaire studies. I do not understand the venom behind the comments. I am merely trying to unravel some of the questions regarding cannabis use. I see that this is not the place for sharing peer-reviewed information. This was an ABSTRACT with preliminary data.
Last edited by: Joannazeiger: Mar 26, 19 11:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Self reporting is soft...I can make the results up and no matter of peer review will change that...ā€¦.the argument to be made in the case of pain would be something like this: does cannabis block pain receptors chemically like opioids do? Using an opioid who's mechanism of action is known, as the standard, how does cannabis measure up chemically?

When I get drunk I hurt less or "perceive" pain less ( assuming no hang over) but does that mean the pain is really blocked like with pain meds? That answer would be much stronger science.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m not trying to be harsh but info presented as ā€˜cannabisā€™ without distinguishing if itā€™s hemp-based CBD (WADA legal) or marijuana (varied legality) creates more consumer confusion than clarity. This is a huge issue and critically important for people to understand.

Marijuana and hemp are both cannabis plants, which contain cannabinoids. THC is the most recognized cannabinoid compoundā€”it creates the stoney effectā€”and is found in higher concentrations in former.

CBD is another cannabinoid found in higher concentrations in hemp, which was legalized in 2018 Farm Bill. Products with less than .3% THC can be bought just about everywhere. CBD is purported to have numerous qualities to help lower inflammation, reduce pain, help with sleep, etc. Because of how CBD was scheduled until recently it was very difficult to study, which is why thereā€™s more anecdotal and preliminary research than comprehensive.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Mar 26, 19 11:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, i see what you did wrong. You didn't once mention whether they should hold their hands higher and at what angle the extensions should be at.

I don't see anything wrong with the presentation. You did exactly what you stated you would do from the beginning and reported self-reported usage of cannabis products and their perceived affects on the targeted athelete population.

Just let them quibble like letsrun.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Preliminary results from study on cannabis use in athletes [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Thorax wrote:

There has been better at 8th grade science fairs

And there are 3rd graders who understand how to give constructive criticism better than you?

@ the OP, thanks for sharing. It's nice to see the results of your surveys and the conclusions you drew. Clearly it's something that we will be seeing more in depth and controlled studies of in the future.

Are you going to do more studies on this, or was it a one off?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joannazeiger wrote:
Wow, I know ST is harsh, but really???? I conducted an IRB approved study and appealed to ST to help fill it out. I wanted to share my results to maintain goodwill and to perhaps help inform athletes about the benefits and adverse effects of cannabis. Instead, I am being denigrated for no apparent reason. The field of epidemiology is largely based on questionnaire studies. I do not understand the venom behind the comments. I am merely trying to unravel some of the questions regarding cannabis use. I see that this is not the place for sharing peer-reviewed information. This was an ABSTRACT with preliminary data.

But that is why epidemiology is shit, right? People lie, or fool themselves or don't understand. There is a reason why they have started monitoring people in nutrition science. Peoples response on questionaries is bad at best and flat out lies at worst. Hope you guys find a better way of doing research in the future :)
Quote Reply
Re: Preliminary results from study on cannabis use in athletes [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today's Random Epidemiology Study:

"Cannabis" can cause "better sleep and faster recovery" for "Slowtwitch athletes"

Quote Reply
Re: Preliminary results from study on cannabis use in athletes [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of blows my mind how a former world champ, Olympian, MS from Northwestern and PhD from John Hopkins can post results of a study on a topic that is probably of interest to a good % of triathletes on this board only to get sassy ā€œfeedbackā€ from a bunch of Mamils on Slowtwitch whose credentials (I presume) include taking Psych 101 in undergrad 30 years ago?

Gotta love ā€œthe internetsā€.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for putting this together, it's a topic that has always peaked my interested.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Preliminary results from study on cannabis use in athletes [No one in particular] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how many people identified as waste-oids or burnouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It can be used to reduce anxiety, but can also cause anxiety?

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: Preliminary results from study on cannabis use in athletes [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is not uncommon for drugs to have opposite effects. In the case of cannabis, it may have to do with dosing, route of administration, cannabinoid used, or any number of reasons. We will be examining this further as we proceed with our analyses.
Quote Reply
Re: Preliminary results from study on cannabis use in athletes [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While we didn't ask specifically about hemp derived CBD, we did ask if participants used CBD, THC, or both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was it studied on whether any of the athletes developed the munchies and how that affected performance? ā€œFatlete chasing down chips, pretzels and Clif Bars with Cokes at aid station #1!!!ā€
Quote Reply

Prev Next