Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powertap wheel upgrade
Quote | Reply
I've got a pretty stout training rear wheel (DT Swiss 585 rim) with a Powertap G3 hub. Is there a cheap way to upgrade it (keeping the Powertap) to a decent all-round 50-60mm depth wheel for training and IM distance races.
Here are the options I can think of:
  1. Buy a new/used rim and get somebody to build it onto the hub for me.
  2. Buy a new/used wheel and get somebody to rebuild it with the Powertap hub
  3. Find somewhere that makes wheels in-house and get them to build a wheel with my hub
Has anybody done something similar? Any recommendations on Powertap-compatible rims? Got a rim or wheel to sell that you could ship to the UK?
I could stop over-complicating it by buying a new wheelset and selling the existing wheel, but it feels like I could save some money if I found a rim for a good price. Total budget around 200-300GBP.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by: chief10: Jul 14, 18 6:45
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap wheel upgrade [chief10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Make it into a disc wheel:

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/aerodisc.html

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap wheel upgrade [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

Make it into a disc wheel:

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/aerodisc.html

Good point, not much difference between existing rim and a deeper one once you add a wheel cover. That would save some money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I covered my own wheel with monocote. Been riding it every day for over a year.

Total cost was about $30 US.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done all 3. The one thing you didn't mention was the spoke count of your hub, if you are at 24 or 28, it is pretty straightforward to build a new wheel using something like a Flo rim. A 32 spoke hub can be built as a 24 using a "crow's foot" 24 lacing. I haven't triad it, but others have.

My suggestion would be to buy a pre-built wheel so you have two sets. Powertap made a G-something-something wheel that someone was asking about in the last 7-10 days on the forum. 60mm front and rear aero wheels with a new G3 for 699$. Kinda hard to beat that deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap wheel upgrade [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I have done all 3. The one thing you didn't mention was the spoke count of your hub, if you are at 24 or 28, it is pretty straightforward to build a new wheel using something like a Flo rim. A 32 spoke hub can be built as a 24 using a "crow's foot" 24 lacing. I haven't triad it, but others have.

My suggestion would be to buy a pre-built wheel so you have two sets. Powertap made a G-something-something wheel that someone was asking about in the last 7-10 days on the forum. 60mm front and rear aero wheels with a new G3 for 699$. Kinda hard to beat that deal.

I hadn't looked at the spoke count. The rear wheel has 32 spokes (I said it was stout). Might just go with the wheel cover option for now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s what I did. Wheelcover on a DT Swiss /PT G3. Easy to install for race day with the pop off PT hub and a very aero setup
Quote Reply