Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powertap Pricing and Complexity
Quote | Reply
I have been considering jumping into the world of power. I have seen a number of banner adds running on ST lately and the Powertap seems to be a really good deal. $675 laced to Mavic Open Pro or $900+ with a Garmin 500 included. (1) Is this a good deal? (2) Is a computer and the powertap all I need or is there more needed to make this work? (3)Does this type of setup support the ANT+? (4) How much ongoing techie stuff is required ( I have seen comments about calibration and zeroing out etc. in the board before; is this stuff required for the Powertap and if so is it difficult)?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap Pricing and Complexity [yikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all of the powertap wireless hubs are ant+

you can get the little yellow computer instead of a garmin to save some money. bonus - it is airfoil shaped

computer and powertap is all you need.

ongoing techie stuff hasn't been 0 so far for me, about 6months in. but, long way to go yet!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) not sure on price as I have not looked in two years

2) As Jack said you only need the little yellow computer - The garmin 500; joule or 310xt would be an extra if you decided to go that route later.

3) Yes ant+

4) Beyond the initial output you will need to find software to use; I paid for wko+ still on the 2.2 version. Beyond that leaning how to use the device is key, so your time and perhaps a book or webinar may add a few bucks. Calibration is not a issues with the powertap, it's the SRM that has to be sent in yearly. Zeroing can be done manually, check the instructions but the newer versions do this while coasting.

If you don't spend the time to learn how to use the powertap it will just be an expensive computer.

Gordon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I`m on my second Powertap now (decided to get one in a nice wheelset when I switched from Campy to SRAM), and I don't have much negative to say - for me it's been a great product.

I've been researching the price as I was planning to sell my stuff. That's a lot cheaper than what I've seen, but that must be for the wired model. You'd probably to get a heart rate monitor strap too, that might be another optional extra?

-----
http://luckylockie.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap Pricing and Complexity [lockie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no...competitive cyclist has the Pro+ for that price (hint: its on every other ad banner on ST)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This pricing is for the wired models. To me the ability to switch the wheel from bike to bike without having to add wires to each bikes was definitely worth going wireless. With the wired model, you are stuck with the power tap yellow head unit (that is quite good), but with the plethora of ant+ stuff coming out (includign a Timex GPS watch with ANT+ that could display power on the bike), i would highy recommend going with the wireless unit. Take the cheapest elite model (weight is not important) but go wireless.

Francois in Montreal
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap Pricing and Complexity [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, missed the ST reference, my bad. And sure enough, a few screen refreshes got me the ad. But I'm seeing $875, $1125 and $1325..... Still a great deal!

-----
http://luckylockie.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap Pricing and Complexity [fbrissette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fbrissette wrote:
This pricing is for the wired models. To me the ability to switch the wheel from bike to bike without having to add wires to each bikes was definitely worth going wireless. With the wired model, you are stuck with the power tap yellow head unit (that is quite good), but with the plethora of ant+ stuff coming out (includign a Timex GPS watch with ANT+ that could display power on the bike), i would highy recommend going with the wireless unit. Take the cheapest elite model (weight is not important) but go wireless.

Francois in Montreal

Mmmm...no. From the CC website:
Quote:
2011 CycleOps PowerTap Pro+ Powermeter System/Mavic Open Pro Rim
  • Item: CYC831 Actual Weight:"Actual Weight" means we weighed this item ourselves.[/url] 1201 g
  • $1,750.00 $675.00 - $1125.00

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Last edited by: Devlin: Sep 27, 11 14:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just the Pro+ hub + wheel is around 675-700. The SL+ is a bit more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lockie wrote:
I`m on my second Powertap now (decided to get one in a nice wheelset when I switched from Campy to SRAM), and I don't have much negative to say - for me it's been a great product.

I've been researching the price as I was planning to sell my stuff. That's a lot cheaper than what I've seen, but that must be for the wired model. You'd probably to get a heart rate monitor strap too, that might be another optional extra?

Why would you want a HR strap?

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might finally pull the trigger on the CC deal. I was thinking of the $675 option and getting the LYC (Cycleops Cervo) off Ebay or the classifieds. They seem to run 75-150 depending on if you get them from an Ebay store or a personal sale. Lots of people get the LYC and then upgrade to a Garmin. Or maybe that tells me I should just bit the bullet and get the Garmin in the beginning.

If you want a lighter hub, CC has the SL for $875, but I don't think 50g is worth $200 and AFAIK that is the only difference between the Pro and the SL.

As far as utilizing the Powertap, get the book from Coggan. You might want to consider reading the book and deciding if power is right for you before you plunk down the cash.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap Pricing and Complexity [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can think of a few field testing type reasons.

"is position A at 200 watts as easy for me to do as position B at 200 watts" etc etc

Devlin wrote:
Why would you want a HR strap?

John

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap Pricing and Complexity [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does one buy the "little yellow" computer to go along with the power meter
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap Pricing and Complexity [fbrissette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, Competitive Cyclist has the wireless Pro+ on special now, too. You can get a laced wired Comp for $599 or a laced wireless Pro+ for $675.

fbrissette wrote:

Francois in Montreal
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap Pricing and Complexity [LTBlowUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LTBlowUp wrote:
I got mine new online for $600 and the PT, Wheel, little yellow computer, and wires all came in the package together. I imagine that CC is the same way.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adding to the complexity, the 2012 models are apparently going to be significantly cheaper and are due out any day now. Still not as great of a deal as the closeouts at CC, to be sure, but when the 2012 models do show up, there will probably be specials on the 2011 models at a number of vendors.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap Pricing and Complexity [CSU_Prof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all of the new wireless hubs are ant+... my old 2.4 SL wireless are not

for PRO+.. 675 plus computer.. maybe $125 on ebay?

so you are looking at 800 plus shipping?

this brings me to a stupid question.. does anyone know if the wired/wireless yellow CPUs are ACTUALLY different (lacking a wireless receiver?). i ask because the wired ones are a lot cheaper. Its possible they didn't bother actually making separate units. It's possible that they did.
Last edited by: pjcampbell: Sep 27, 11 16:13
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap Pricing and Complexity [pjcampbell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd guess the wired doesn't have the signal receiver. Wouldn't make sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap Pricing and Complexity [CSU_Prof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, Competitive Cyclist has the wireless Pro+ on special now, too. You can get a laced wired Comp for $599 or a laced wireless Pro+ for $675.

At 675$ it is without any head unit. Pricing is getting a little confusing.

Francois in Montreal
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap Pricing and Complexity [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is they have fixed the distance/time problem that was associated with the LYC.

On a side note, I get a lot of power files in a year from my athletes. I notice the most drops in the file when paired with a garmin head unit. I get the least amount of power drops when paired with the lyc. It will be, at least for me, interesting to see if some of the new Ant+ stuff displays the same power drops in the files.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Powertap Pricing and Complexity [LTBlowUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LTBlowUp wrote:

I think if you go on eBay you're going to see a lot of little yellow computers on sale in the next few months. With the sale, I think a number of people will have bought the deal that included the LYC but already have Garmin's or other ANT+ head units
Quote Reply