Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powertap Joule to Excel
Quote | Reply
Hello Slowtwitch Joule Users:
Can you please tell me the quickest way to export data from a Joule into an Excel spreadsheet. All I want is three columns, time, power, cadence. Also, the data should not be smoothed in any way and I want maximum sampling frequency (1hz?).
The reason I'm asking all this is that I'm building a special purpose ergometer using a CycleOps Pro3 indoor trainer with powertap flywheel. It will be used offsite and it must be very easy to retrieve the data. If I can't make it work with the powertap + joule I can go with an old school tried and true wired SRM. That's not easy because of the special bottom bracket in those trainers.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap Joule to Excel [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What format is the Joule file?

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim, load the file in Poweragent, click "File", "Export Activity Data", select "Cycleops Power Data (*.csv)". There is also "Cycleops Extended Power Data (*.csv)" if you want everything.

While we are on the subject, does anyone know how to get data off a Garmin 520? I've been using Poweragent for that as well (since Garmin appears to no longer support .csv export), but the torque is missing....
Last edited by: rruff: Oct 27, 18 8:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
save as .csv (comma separated value)

then go to excel and select open. navigate to the folder containing your file, and for file type, select "all files" (or type "*.*" in the file name text box).
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap Joule to Excel [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
While we are on the subject, does anyone know how to get data off a Garmin 520? I've been using Poweragent for that as well (since Garmin appears to no longer support .csv export), but the torque is missing....

The 520 acts as an USB storage device... So you'll see it as a removable drive / volume (depending what OS you're using) and browse it as you would a flash drive. I think there's a "Activities" folders where all the .fit files are located.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap Joule to Excel [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want it in a .csv file format to perform my own calculations. The Powertap software seems to work except for missing the torque.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap Joule to Excel [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Since .fit is a proprietary protocol, they don't make it easy but here are a few options...

1. From Garmin Connect export your file as .tcx then open with Excel (as XML table)

2. The ANT+ Software Development Kit comes with a handy fit2csv converter. Super easy to use from the command line -- just go

java -jar FitCSVTool.jar -b filename.fit filename.csv

Or you can just drag your fit file over the FitCSVTool.bat file in that directory and it will create a .csv duplicate of the file in the same directory.

3. (My personal fave & definitely the best if you're doing it a lot/working with multiple files) Use python's activityio library. (https://github.com/jmackie/activityio) to create a pandas object that you can query directly or export as csv

Alan Couzens, M.Sc. (Sports Science)
Exercise Physiologist/Coach
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Alan_Couzens
Web: https://alancouzens.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Everyone.
I installed Poweragent, which included drivers. I downloaded the activity from my Joule to Poweragent but could not seem to find the file to export. Nothing showed up in my activities. Even so, the drivers may have been helpful.
So then I tried Golden Cheetah. Just imported from device and exported to a csv. Too easy. This should do it for me and (hopefully) for the remote operator.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote Reply