Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powertap C1 cranks - looking for feedback
Quote | Reply
I've got a few coached athletes who are pretty budget-conscious, and have been hesitant to purchase expensive gear. I usually get them to buy a power meter before thinking about other upgrades. Historically, that's been cost-prohibitive for many people, but the Powertap C1s are just $350. If you're using these I'd love to hear your feedback on them. I've had other powertap products (hub, pedals) and I've been really happy with both.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap C1 cranks - looking for feedback [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are not compatible with many 11 speed cranksets. So, the odds someone you train will have a crankset that works with a C1 are slim to none.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like mine. I use it on the Vision crankset that came on my Felt IA. I've never had an issue with pairing or with the power data. DC rainmaker has an awesome review of them, and did some side-by-side comparison with other powermeters that really sold me on them.

I think overall that they are very hard to beat in terms of value. I would buy mine all over again for sure.

Edit to add link to DCR review: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...hainring-review.html
Last edited by: derailleur'd: Dec 30, 18 7:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had them for a while. 2 issues - a lack of compatible cranksets (I was pretty much limited to Ultegra 6750/Durace 7950, although SRAM Red GXP would work for a bunch of people) because of the 5 bolt requirements and a lack of waterproofing. The latter killed my C1s when I ended up in a downpour, came back home and the next day the unit would not pair... Powertap was gracious about it and allowed me to exchange them, but still...

In other words - fine for the indoor training as long as you can live with the crankset limitations.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap C1 cranks - looking for feedback [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be fair, you can easily use the 10 speed Shimano cranksets with any 11 speed Shimano/SRAM based drivetrain.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have had the C1 chainrings for several years now. I am very happy with them overall. On one area of my rides I go under several sets of power lines. To use DC rainmakers words: it goes 'wonky' for the 1/4 mile or so by dropping the reading to zero. Other than that I have had no issues.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a set of C1's for just over 2 years. Bought a 5-bolt SRAM Rival crank to mount it on and overall I've been really pleased with it, zero issues.

I've done maybe a third of my winter indoor training miles with it, the rest on my road bike (with a powertap hub that has also been perfect). Lots of races and outdoor rides in the 2 years I've had it. A few rainy races, again no issue. You do need to make sure the gasket is seated properly to keep the rain out.

Battery life is pretty good, can easily get a few months of heavy use out of each battery, and they're CR32 coin batteries so cheap and easy to find.

Compatibility is definitely an issue with a lot of newer cranks, but at the time I was looking to switch to 165's so buying a cheap 5-bolt crank was already in the cards. If you have access to a compatible crank then for the price of the C1 it's tough to beat for a dual sided crank based meter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have 2, both on 11 speed Shimano equipped bikes. No issues at all. The only install issue is they will not fit most Shimano cranks. Both of ours are on aftermarket Praxis cranks. No issues with them either.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very impressed with them. Incredible value. Power values are more reliable than my stages and seem in line with my powertap. Battery, for me, lasts 40-60 hours. Very dry here so haven't torture tested them in the wet. Not compatible with most of the latest cranksets but just buy and old Shimano Dura ace or ultegra or just about every older Sram crankset and you're golden (zero advantage to any of the 4 bolt cranksets anyhow). IMO, the best value out there. Only thing better is a powertap hub at 30% off right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too found waterproofing issues with mine, went through 3 units before I moved to a different brand power meter. I heard that they are no longer going to be manufacturing the C1, but if they made a version 2.0 addressing the water intake issue, I'd have no hesitation buying again.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap C1 cranks - looking for feedback [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
had mine for 3 years, never had an issue, great value

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply