Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powerman Alabama
Quote | Reply
Anybody done this race? Can you provide some info as to what the course is like? Hilly/flat etc...

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Powerman Alabama [marty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the race a couple years ago... The run course is fairly flat (the course circles a large dog racing track complex). It used to have a couple short "minor hill" out and backs, but I think they eliminated them last year, which should improve the quality of the course a lot.

The bike course is quite hilly and has a significant 3+mi climb that gets fairly steep in places. There are other hills, but I remember that one in particular. It is a tough course, butno where near as tough as the computrainer PC1 course.

Also, it was very cold when I raced there and the wind was a significant factor (gusty, particularly when riding over a couple highway overpasses). I rode the bull horns a fair amount that day and was blown around a bit.

-dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The run has got alittle easier when they eliminated a few out and back sections, but there is still a major hill at the end of each lap. The hill plays a major factor at the end of the race, but once you get up it you have a nice down hill. The bike it fairly hilly with about three major climbs per lap. The last one is the most significant as it goes up for about a mile and then kicks up a bit for another half mile or so. It's not that bad on the first lap but remember that you have to do two laps. The temperature that last couple of years has been chilly. It gets pretty cold on some of the descents on the bike. Also there are a few places on the bike where wind gusts can be a problem. All in all it is a good early season race. The race directors are top notch and you get the most out of your entry fee. If the distance it too much for you early in the year the Whistlestop race starts before the powerman and is half the distance.
-Wes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting refering to the run course as flat. It may seem that way on the first run but after a hilly bike course the second run will occur as a bear as you take the hill leading up to finish line on each loop. Great event though.

Quote:
"Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit."

Saddlesore Wink

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I certainly wouldn't call the run flat at all, it is a 4k loop , done twice, with one longish hill, and a shorter one before it...so 4 "climbs" on each run . Timewise , the run ended up being about like my 8 K times on a flat course, because the downhills provide a little speed and a bit quicker turnover, I'd say it is a tough fair course, I agree with the previous posts on the bike course. Overall the course is great , super weather last year aswell.
Quote Reply