Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powercranks Journal
Quote | Reply
I thought I would start a little journal of my Powercranks experience for other interested parties to see.

First some background. I have been doing triathlons on and off since 1988.

Last year I did 2 triathlons and here are the results.

Ironman Brazil: 10:43 (1st attempt at the Ironman distance)

Reston Triathlon: 2:02

This year I am planning on doing Ironman Florida and the Reston Triathlon. Will the Powercranks make a difference. We shall see.

PC = Powercranks

I picked up the Powercranks from my local LBS and opened the box. The cranks are a work of art and look extremely well made. I opted for the adjustable ones just in case I wanted tweak my crank arm length. It took about an hour for me to switch my normal cranks with these. The biggest problem I ran into was getting the dust cover off my Dura Ace cranks. One was really tight and it took a while to get it off. The tools I used were a Dura Ace dust cover remover tool (DA usually gives these free when you get the DA bottom bracket), 2 8mm hex wrenches and a 5mm hex wrench. My bottom bracket had 8mm self extracting bolts so removing cranks were easy. I just moved the chain ring from the Dura Ace cranks to the Powercranks. I am pretty sure I used a 5mm hex wrench for that. Next I attached the Powercranks to my bike with the DA chainrings. I used the 1 8mm hex wrench on each side tighten the cranks into the bottom bracket. Make sure when you do this to align the groves on the cranks with the bottom bracket. Also when you order the cranks specify what bottom bracket you have.

Date 2/25/2004

Day 1 - Wednesday : 20 minutes (PC) on trainer - felt sad (Not emotionally, just physically), muscles hurt (Good hurt)

Day 2 - Thursday: 30 minutes (PC) on trainer - muscles hurt from the previous workout. Had to glide every now and then because my muscles were burning.

Day 3 - Friday : 35 minutes (PC) on trainer - muscles were still hurting and yes I had to glide many times.
Day 4 - Saturday : 40 minute swim followed about an hour later with a Hour+ (PC) - Took the bike outside. It was the first warm day in like ever. I was able to stand up for about 10 seconds when cresting a few hills. I lost one of the bolts that attach the adjustable crank arms. There are a few bridges that are really really bumpy and it must have worked its way loose. I fixed it when I got home by finding another bolt. Bees Wax or Lock Tight would be good on these.

Day 5 - Sunday : No Cycling. I opted to run 1 hour 50 minutes instead. Legs still were a little sore from yesterdays ride. Run felt good until the last 10 minutes or so. The rest of the day I was pretty beat.

Day 6 - Monday : 30 minutes (PC) on trainer – I was able to do the whole 30 minutes without gliding. WooHoo!!! The cranks are starting to feel more natural.

Day 7 - Tuesday : 40 minutes (PC) on trainer - I was able to do the whole 40 minutes without gliding. It got pretty tough near the end. I could have go futher, but I opted just to do 40 minutes. I feel that my body is definately adjusting to the power cranks. I did a few rev ups to get my rpms up. I think I averaged around 183 watts. One thing to note, I was able to lower my wattage during this workout I was more comfortable using the PCs.

Thoughts on First Week of training.

My legs definately don't hurt like they did after the first workout. They are tired, but I believe my body is starting to adapt nicely. I am able to get a good spin going from the start. It is starting to feel more natural, but it is still really tough.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 8 - Wednesday : No cycling today. I swam 1.5 miles and ran 4+ miles. I felt that my flip turns were more snappy and my run had better turn over. Could it be in my head maybe, but then again maybe the Powercranks are doing something. Hmmmm

Day 9 - Thursday : 40 minutes (PC) on trainer - Again I was able to ride the entire 40 minutes without having to rest. Sweet. This coming weekend the weatherman said the temps could reach the 60's Sweet. My right knee seems to hurt for some reason. I am not sure if it is Powercrank related or not. I probably just slept on it wrong.

Day 10 - Friday : 40 minutes (PC) on trainer - My right knee seems ok again.

Day 11: No cycling today. I swam 1.5 miles and ran 4+. I ran the same course as day 8 and I dropped my run time by 2 minutes. My turn over felt pretty good.

Day 12 - Saturday : Swam 3,100 meters and then (PC)ed outside for an hour and a half. It was a little tough about 1:20 into the ride. I felt pretty comfortable though using the cranks.

Day 13 - Sunday : No cycling today. I ran 2 hours and 30 mintues (About 17 miles). Quads felt great through the entire run. The temps started out around 35 degrees and when I finished it was 65. Needless to say I had to shead a few pieces of clothing to include (gloves, hat, jacket, vest, and 2nd layered shirt).
Day 14 - Monday: 45 minutes (PC) on trainer - This workout was pretty tuff. I was still a little tired from yesterdays workout.

Thoughts on the Second Week of training.

I am really starting to become more comfortable using the power cranks. I can not wait till the weather warms up a bit more so I can ride outside without major cloths on.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 15 - Tuesday: No cycling today. Swam 2,900 yards in the afternoon. Did a 7 mile run after work. I felt really good through the entire run. Legs felt strong.

Day 16 - Wednesday: 45 minutes (PC) on trainer - I ended up buying seasion 3 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and watch the first episode during the ride.

Day 17 - Thursday: 45 minutes (PC) on trainer - I am really starting to feel comfortable using the PCs, but the workouts are still really hard.

Day 18 - Friday: I did a 40 minute run and it felt really good. My legs felt strong through the entire run.

Day 19 - Saturday: 45 minutes (PC) on trainer - It seemed pretty tough today to get through the workout. It was a morning workout, which I haven't done in a while on the bike.

Day 20 - Sunday: I did a 2 hour run and my legs felt great. I feel that I have a little more zip in them. I ran basically 8-8:15 pace.

Day 21 - Monday: 45 minute (PC) on trainer - The workout felt great this time. It seemed easier for some reason. I started the workout at a lower wattage (170) and finished pretty strong averaging around 195 watts.

Thoughts on the Third Week of training.

This may be in my head, but my swimsuit ok speedo feels tighter on me. It is like my muscles have gotten much harder in the %$#@.

Day 22 - Tuesday: Swam a mile in the afternoon. After work I ran a 4 mile course and really felt like my legs were zipping along. The run itself was hard, but legs felt like I could have run much faster.

Here are a few things that most people will find weird when cycling outside.

1. When your gliding with Powercranks usually both feet are down, it looks and feels strange.

2. Going over bumps can be a pain since it is almost impossible to rise out of the seat like you would with normal cranks. Make sure your seat is not too high.

3. When going into a turn you have to force a leg up. I couldn't take turns as fast.

4. Starting up after stopping is a little difficult, but manageable. Your basically doing a one legged drill to get up to speed, before clipping in the other foot.

5. In my first week I am much slower and have to work much harder than if I were to ride normal cranks. I figure speed will come in time. Most of my lack of speed is do to the fact that my muscles are burning so much that I have to glide just to rest, which in turn keeps me slower.

6. Standing takes a lot out of you and is extremely hard to do in the beginning.

7. Going down hills and trying to keep the rpms up with your speed can really up the wattage and trash the legs.

Last edited by: TRI: Mar 10, 04 7:55
Quote Reply
Re: Powercranks Journal [TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I train with an individual who has been using Powercranks since the beginning of November 2003. He has trained on them exclusively, averaging roughly 10 - 12 hours per week (all indoor trainer based miles).

November: he went through the initial/typical adaptation phase and was able to ride 2 + hours on the trainer by the beginning of December (endurance heart rates zones).

December - January: was able to easily train in heart rate/power zones associated with zone 3 and 4. Continuation of endurance based mileage.

February - Current: all the above plus inclusion of VO2 max work.

During the above time period, the individual conducted 4 - 30 minute time trials (beginning of November, end of November, end of December, and end of January). The first time trial was conducted prior to using PC's, and this individual recorded average watts of 289. In each subsequent testing this individual tested lower in terms of average watts over the 30 minute session (281, 272, and 269). The week prior to each test was used as a so-called "off week".....reduced intensity and duration.

In addition, this individual competed in his first race of the year last weekend (primary sport - mountain bike). He finished near the back of the field, and was beaten by several individuals by over 8 minutes. He had easily beaten these same individuals the prior season by 3 - 5 minutes (over a 2 hour race).

It is important to note that many factors play into the above discouraging situation (not related to Powercranks), and I am by no means discouraging others from using the product. However, I am curious as to other PC user's assessment of the above situation?

Quote Reply
Re: Powercranks Journal [kreinken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who knows, but more detail is needed on his training. You say all he's done is base miles? How do you expect to do well in a mtb race (or any race) if you haven't done any interval or high heart rate work?

Seems to me that your example just shows that your body detrains it's anarobic system during the off season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are many factors that effect racing performance. One bad race doesn't bother me so much. It would be nice to know more data. Was he did he do the time trial efforts at the same HR? Is he seeing increased power in training and only failing at the TT efforts? Did he calibrate the CT before each test? Did he do the testing on PC's or regular cranks?

A reduction in performance after training with PowerCranks, barring illness or injury, is pretty much unheard of except in the following situations.

1. The person when racing brings the cadence back up to what they were doing before and goes way beyond the PC limits.

2. The person gets into an aero position that they can't ride on the PC's and lose power. (unlikely in a mountain biker in a CT TT i guess)

3. Both of the above.

The testing drops don't bother me much as this is what I saw in my beta testing, especially if the tests were done on PowerCranks. In my testing it took 6 months to see max power increases (I didn't do time trial testing) if the test was done on Powercranks. I think this is do to the fatigue factor of the new muscles endurance not quite being up to snuff. However, in view of recent reports of many, it seems many see improvement coming much faster than I did so this result puzzles me. Are there any physical problems? Is he recovering from a lung infection? Is there a drop in hemotocrit? Thyroid problems?

This is such an unusual occurrance in someone who has seemingly adapted so well (not to say it is not possible) and you alluded to other problems that I would recommend he get a check-up by his MD.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Powercranks Journal [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Frank.....he is thinking the same thing in regards to a general physical health assessment.

Also, to answer Ben in FL's question, I believe I mentioned in my original post that during the months of December and January this individual spent training time in power/heart rate zones of level 3 and 4 (intensive endurance and threshold). In addition, February has been spent dedicating a couple sessions a week to V02 max interval work. I apologize if I was a little vague!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like he has adapted better than average and should be seeing improvement. The fact he has not is a puzzle and that is why I think a general exam on the part of his physician is in order.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply