Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Powerbars---Discontinued?
Quote | Reply
Can't seem to order them on the website? Remembered this topic coming up before....
Quote Reply
Re: Powerbars---Discontinued? [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadisonMan wrote:
Can't seem to order them on the website? Remembered this topic coming up before....

I think they broke out the US or NA operation. Is this where you are trying to order from? https://www.powerbar.com/shop-now/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw something about them coming back to market recently. I thought it was from The Feed but they only list gels, not bars.

Janyne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is not a lot of mystery about this. With all the construction around the country, there has been a demand for a strong and durable material to fill potholes. The result has been a severe shortage of Powerbars. That does not even take into account the military's huge demand for cold weather armor plating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MadisonMan wrote:

HyVee grocery stores in the Midwest have them in the nutrition aisle. Usually they are on sale so I don’t bother buying them online.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to be able to buy them locally at the LBS, at running stores, at the grocery store, etc. and they slowly disappeared from all. The last couple of years I was getting them on Amazon Prime, but they disappeared from there too in the past two months. OTOH, Powerbar Gels seem to be coming back under a new wrapper. I bought some at the MiamiMan expo this past weekend. In the meantime, I've gone back to Clif Bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, that lovely sawdust mixed with molasses flavour and texture that fueled my early triathlon days.
I still recall breaking them apart into bite size chunks and sticking them to my aluminum top tube.
Didn't think people still ate them.
Quote Reply
Re: Powerbars---Discontinued? [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
There is not a lot of mystery about this. With all the construction around the country, there has been a demand for a strong and durable material to fill potholes. The result has been a severe shortage of Powerbars. That does not even take into account the military's huge demand for cold weather armor plating.

Exactly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw them on Amazon a few weeks ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Powerbars---Discontinued? [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So....You're not a Fan!....

I love Powerbars.....part of my race fueling on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Powerbars---Discontinued? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's an acquired taste ... sort of like expensive wine.
Quote Reply
Re: Powerbars---Discontinued? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
It's an acquired taste ... sort of like expensive wine.

Or cheap wine.
Quote Reply
Re: Powerbars---Discontinued? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
MadisonMan wrote:

HyVee grocery stores in the Midwest have them in the nutrition aisle. Usually they are on sale so I don’t bother buying them online.

You have seen them in the last few days?

All stores near me are sold out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've eaten my share of Powerbars, but haven't thought about them in years. They're good in an odd way. You feel like you're eating something utilitarian rather than a naughty candybar that other bars seem like.

They reminded me of the astronaut food sticks we had as kids? Anyone old enough to remember those? They were good for you because astronauts!

Quote Reply
Re: Powerbars---Discontinued? [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd totally forgotten about those! I LOVED those things. No idea what flavor they were supposed to be. I'd call it "space stick flavor" and leave it at that---definately didn't taste like peanut butter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RIP to the PowerBar. I stuck them on my top tube back in the mid '90s when they were "The" bar used by triathletes. I ate them for lunch at work for many years until late last year when I could no longer find them in my local grocery store. They were easy to eat at my desk and carry on my bike commute. Sitting on them when my office was cold softened them up. Oh, the sweet memories of the berry and banana flavored bars. Didn't have any GI issues eating them prior to races or eating multiple bars during the 80K race I ran last spring. I was prepared to order them online if necessary, but I guess I'll be moving to Clif bars. Just hope Clif will serve me as well as a pre race meal and in ultras.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Nov 15, 19 11:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MadisonMan wrote:
powerbar.eu seems to work still
Quote Reply
Re: Powerbars---Discontinued? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
MadisonMan wrote:

powerbar.eu seems to work still

I can't order from the site.
Quote Reply
Re: Powerbars---Discontinued? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Ah, that lovely sawdust mixed with molasses flavour and texture that fueled my early triathlon days.
I still recall breaking them apart into bite size chunks and sticking them to my aluminum top tube.
Didn't think people still ate them.

I still do this...I also still tape the gel tab to the top tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, if I want to eat a handful of dirt, I just go out to my garden.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have about 30 boxes of them + powergels. Love them. B/C no matter the "best by date", unless the wrapper is swollen (due to noxious gas from decomposing from whatever vampires they used for protein), they never went bad. Ever. Like literally ever. 5 year old Cliff bars? Concrete. 5 year old Powerbars same as day 1. 10 year old? Same...slightly more chewy. Gels a bit more squeeze. No other company perfected ever-lasting-instant food as well. Was on a ride this past summer and took a chance on some (well past good date) Gu......yeah, no.

My gut has looked up at me with my 10-year past best-by date with PG and just said "really?" and just plugged on.

Cockraches will be looking back on our race in 200 years and regarding powerbars as the Mouton '59 for the ages.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Powerbars---Discontinued? [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always thought they were missing something. Like a blasting cap inserted into them.

Or maybe my uncle can use them to seal windows on his old house in lieu of putty.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Nov 12, 19 22:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powerbars were good enough for the Atlantis crew fighting the Wraith in the Pegasus Galaxy so I'm happy to have them to get me through a long easy day on Earth... :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Powerbars---Discontinued? [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharonMcN wrote:
Honestly, if I want to eat a handful of dirt, I just go out to my garden.

The irony of sig line is real

😂
Last edited by: MrTri123: Nov 13, 19 3:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazon Subscribe and Save just discontinued my recurring order of them...

MadisonMan wrote:

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply

Prev Next