Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power shorts
Quote | Reply
Read from Desoto and another brand (Hind I think) about how lycra can reduce fatigue by whtever percent. Anyone actually buy this? I own an old pair of Desotos (hole near the pad) and it does feel pretty good on a run. But scientific data to back this? I gotta read this.
Quote Reply
Re: Power shorts [CS7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My DeSoto Lycra/Power shorts are my favorite - both for triathlon and running. Improving performance ? I don't know - but I get a "fast" feeling when taking them on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YEARS ago, people were wearing support hose while riding/running. Especially on longer rides/runs, it seems the decrease in interstitial edema due to the extra overall slight pressure support provided by the hose, helped people's legs to feel less fatigued and "fresher"...although I'm relatively certain (without any scientific research into it), that they did not smell fresher by wearing hose.

Shorts make of lycra makes you faster? Compared to shorts made of chain mail? Come on! I doubt the claim. Although, many women's undergarment sales pitches claim the woman will feel more feminine if she is wearing certain articles containing lycra, I don't think their running performance is claimed to be improved by lycra. I won't go further in the direction that this line of thought might obviously take...this is a family forum...

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course it works. Probably not the old desoto shorts, but the new DSS powershorts... They compress the leg muscles, and eliminates excessive vibrations of the microtissue, which will lead to increased fatigue... Much the same as for the body suits in swimming... The clue to wearing the shorts is to have a tight pair. I usually use them on my very long runs, and feel so much better... First time I used them was IM wisconsin, I also rode in them, only time I've ridden and run in same pair in IM race. Get a new pair, they are awesome!

Last but not least, have you seen Paula Radcliffe? English great distance runner. I mean her socks! They have a purpose right? Same thing. She probably wouldn't be running in those socks if they didn't have a purpose.... but then again, she is of course British :)

"It's not about winning or losing. It's about passion..."
Bernie Focker, "Meet the Fockers"
Quote Reply
Re: Power shorts [Laphroaig72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The whole compression/power shorts issue is interesting. I did some product testing for Sugoi a few years ago on the Dupont Power Lycra. There is no question that the shorts feel good when you run in them. The information supplied by Dupont is of course biased towards the "reaserch" that they have done noting an X% in crease in performance. From my testing and limited use I can't say if they improved my performance.

I have stood at the finishline of many of the big marathons and I note that I have not seen one sub 2:30 marathon runner wearing the power shorts. I have to ask myself, if the sorts are so great and they are a performance improver, why is that the case? As noted, Paula Radcliffe does wear some sort of compression sock over her calves and up to her knees, but the lower leg muscles, while important in running are not the big drivers of the running action, it is the quadriceps and the hamstrings. I am curious to know whay she only has them on her lower legs. Why not a full leg tight?

In the power shorts defense, I do see a great application for them in triathlon. The extra Lycra and Teflon fibers woven into the Dupont fabric inhibit the shorts from soaking up too uch water. Thus you can swim, cycle and run in the shorts and they will not get all baggy and feel like they are soaking wet after the swim. In longer triathlon events on the run, I can seem them as helpful in reducing chafing.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Power shorts [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have stood at the finishline of many of the big marathons and I note that I have not seen one sub 2:30 marathon runner wearing the power shorts. I have to ask myself, if the sorts are so great and they are a performance improver, why is that the case?

Simply because if you are that fast as a sub 2:30, you will probably be sponsored by Puma, FILA, Reebok, NIKE (ugh!) or Asics etc... and soforth... Runners are somewhat conservative, and will probably never deviate from their split shorts, white socks, and (too large) singlets...

As for Paula, I do think that te calves of toe-runners are also a main driving force... Another practical use will be the g-force suit principle; force the blood away from the lower extremities and up to where it belongs, namely the quads and hamstrings... See, we're both right!!!

"It's not about winning or losing. It's about passion..."
Bernie Focker, "Meet the Fockers"
Quote Reply
If lycra can reduce fatigue ... [CS7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe I can figure out how to make the PC's out of it so as to help with the transition. :-)

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply