Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power meter on rollers?
Quote | Reply
Can you get an effective workout just using rollers and monitoring power? Or do you need the variable resistance of a decent trainer?

For example, the hardest rollers workout I did last winter was a 60-minute all-out TT in a virtual race against my friend. I know speed is irrelevant, but we had the exact same rollers (Nashbar parabolic) and computer (cateye). We both averaged ~26 mph, and I definitely was NOT in 53x11 the whole time -- maybe the last few minutes.

So assuming I can ride at a hard-but-sustainable effort using just my gears to control resistance -- say for 2x20:00 intervals -- is my Powertap going to tell me anything useful?

Note: I didn't want to hijack the "outdoor PM" thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter on rollers? [HardKnox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Why wouldn't it?

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have cycleops aluminum rollers w/ no resistance and it's hard to get up over 250 PT watts w/o a ridiculous cadence. I think it just depends on your rollers. If I had a workout to do I'd opt for trainer myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends if you find the power information useful. It will tell you how much power you are putting down. Not sure I understand the question!

If you are in the training zones you need to be in then yes.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is nothing to prevent rollers from providing an adequate workout as long as the resistance is enough with the gears you have available.

I have the 3" drum Kreitlers, so 53x12 at 100 rpm is only ~335 W. I can do tempo workouts on the rollers but prefer not to as I don't care to wear out my 11 or 12t and also usually mix low cadence work in which there is not suitable resistance for. Endurance pace and below, and higher cadence pedalstroke work however are perfect roller workouts for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter on rollers? [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only had the PT for a couple months, and I haven't yet done any real training with it. I've done a few "easy" rides, a crit, and a road race, so I have a very amorphous idea of my zones, av/norm power and maximums. I watched what it did on uphills and downhills, into the wind, etc. But the one time I took it on the rollers, it didn't seem to correlate at all to my experience on the road.

Lately I've just removed the computer, to ride for the enjoyment of fall colors and great weather. Once this honeymoon period is over though, I want to get the most out of it this winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I would have to ask what is "hard" for you.

My rollers don't have a resistance unit, so in a 53x12 I can roll for a really long time. I think I posted a like to garmin connect for a roller ride I did last year. I'll try to find it. If I remember, the AP was in the low 200's.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your PM will measure you power regarless of type of trainer.

since you HAVE one, try setting your tire pressure a littel lower/higher and comparing wattage/wheelspeed(or gear/cadence)

i'm lucky to have a set with variable resistance and even at 'step 3' of what i think is a 10 step progression i get a heck of a workout.

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a previous thread and a link to one of my roller workouts. I would not consider this a hard workout at all.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=3221726#3221726

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter on rollers? [Logan D Dog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am by no means a stellar cyclist. For reference:

• ~20 mph for my one 70.3
  • ~22 mph for an Oly (probably...haven't done one in two years)
  • ~23-24 for a sprint
In other words, I'm in no danger of running out of gears, even on a compact. As my Cat 1 friend put it, "If you easily spin out on rollers in 53x11, you should consider getting a professional contract."

I'm just wondering about quantifying my workouts, after finding my zones. Has anybody done an FTP test on rollers? I'm a climber by nature, so I've considered doing one of the longer mountain climbs around here to get my 20-minute best. I can't imagine I would hit the same number indoors, b/c I'm competitive with myself when I'm staring up a mountain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say that there is no way to do a FTP test on rollers without a resistance unit. You just can't work hard enough for long enough.

My example had me in a 53x12 spinning around 90rpm. Unless you are looking to spin 110 to 120rpm for the hour test (or 2x20min, etc.). If you look at my example, it looks like I started in a 53x14, then went to a 53x13, and rode the rest in the 12.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My rollers (emotion) have a resistance unit and there are charts online they you can put in your wieght and speed and it estimates your power. The charts are pretty accurate as I later discovered when I got a powermeter and used it on the rollers. There is a chart there for 0 resistance you can look at as well. At 25 mph on these rollers they estimate it takes 253 watts for a 170 lb person. I printed out the chart and have it hanging in my pain cave next to the TV.

http://www.insideride.com/...;id=26&Itemid=69

I have heard of my teammates putting a folded towel beneath the back roller so it rubs the drum a little to add resistance to a system that has no resistance unit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
In other words, I'm in no danger of running out of gears, even on a compact. As my Cat 1 friend put it, "If you easily spin out on rollers in 53x11, you should consider getting a professional contract."
not true, with the 4.5" rollers you could easily spin out as a mediocre CAT5

Quote:
Has anybody done an FTP test on rollers?

Yes. I have had 3" Krietler rollers for a while now, I more recently picked up some 2.25" rollers. When riding on the rollers my preferred cadence is ~80rpm. I attempted an FTP test with the 3" rollers, and abandoned after about 30min because the cadence was outside what was "comfortable" for me ~100. I re-performed the test a few weeks later with the 2.25" rollers and was able to complete it. For numbers, it was with a 50-11 max gearing, and ~290W. With the 3"rollers I was ~100rpm, and the 2.25" rollers I was ~85rpm (and I think that I bounced between the 11 and 12 cog). So it depends upon what size drum your rollers have.

FWIW, my numbers indoors are almost always higher than outdoors (for 20+ min efforts). This is mainly due to terrain variability.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter on rollers? [jeffmpollock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you wan't a really hard Emotion workout, ride them in your garage at about zero degrees C. The resistance on cold rollers is ridiculous!

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's all i did for about 15 days last year when the roads were unrideable. i did have to use the ridiculously hard resistance unit though...
Quote Reply