Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power meter crank options
Quote | Reply
What power meter options are out there that use a 24mm spindle, and have a 5 arm spider (110 or 130 BCD are both fine)? Is Power2Max the only option?
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter crank options [22kjackson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you considering left-only options, or just dual leg?

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both 4iiii and Stages let you ship them your own crank arm(s) and they install a power meter on it. You can see compatible crank sets on their respective web sites.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter crank options [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm open to both, just prefer to stay away from pedal based power meters
Last edited by: 22kjackson: Jan 5, 21 16:54
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter crank options [sathomasga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'll give those a look!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SRM, and you can often find used deals on them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Infocrank.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had three Power2Max cranks and the only thing I've had to do is change batteries every 4,000 miles or so. Zero issues on any of the cranks over five years, and I'm looking at getting another for a gravel bike some time this year. I had PowerTap hubs for many years and those were as bomb proof as the P2M crank power meters.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
22kjackson wrote:
What power meter options are out there that use a 24mm spindle, and have a 5 arm spider (110 or 130 BCD are both fine)? Is Power2Max the only option?

I wouldn't be too attached to 5 bolt spider. There's a number of good options with 4 bolt configurations that you can use Shimano rings with too.

24mm spindle options for spider meters - Using something like the Rotor ALDHU crankset you can use their own Rotor INSpider, Power2Max, or look at cheaper options out of China from XCadey (XPower-S) and Sigeyi (AXO).

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter crank options [sathomasga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sathomasga wrote:
Both 4iiii and Stages let you ship them your own crank arm(s) and they install a power meter on it. You can see compatible crank sets on their respective web sites.

I have both 4iiii and Stages left-only cranks. IMO the 4iiii is the better PM (though it was cheaper); fewer tech issues and reading fluxes.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter crank options [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
I have had three Power2Max cranks and the only thing I've had to do is change batteries every 4,000 miles or so. Zero issues on any of the cranks over five years, and I'm looking at getting another for a gravel bike some time this year. I had PowerTap hubs for many years and those were as bomb proof as the P2M crank power meters.

I have the same experience with my 4 Power2Max cranks. In addition to that I've installed at least 7 of them on friends bikes as well. Everything just works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
22kjackson wrote:

Any particular reason that you need 24mm? I really like my Quarq with the 29mm DUB spindle. Lightweight and auto-zeroing, I never need to worry about calibration.

Comes in 4arm shimano compatible and 5 arm . I have the 130mm 5 bolt setup.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jan 5, 21 20:46
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter crank options [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the recommendations. The reason I'm attached to the 5 bolt spider is because of chain rings. I use Rotor QXL rings and would rather not have to buy all new and on top of that, I have a few sizes that aren't offered in the 4 bolt or direct mount configuration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
22kjackson wrote:
The reason I'm attached to the 5 bolt spider is because of chain rings. I use Rotor QXL rings and would rather not have to buy all new and on top of that, I have a few sizes that aren't offered in the 4 bolt or direct mount configuration.

Ahhh.. You'll need to ensure the power meter you go with supports oval rings. Stages has a good post on this: https://support.stagescycling.com/en/support/solutions/articles/1000158537-can-i-use-the-stages-power-meter-with-oval-or-osymetric-chain-rings-

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply