Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power Tap battery dead after transporting wheel or bike?
Quote | Reply
I've noticed a pattern where transporting my wheel or my entire bike kills my Powertap battery. Anybody else notice this? A friend suggested that maybe the jiggling of the transportation causes the power meter to wake up and the searching for a head unit drains the battery faster?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Power Tap battery dead after transporting wheel or bike? [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't believe the PM has to search/find a head unit, it's really the other way around. A PM just broadcasts the data, any head unit within range can pick up the power readings.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Tap battery dead after transporting wheel or bike? [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, but I wonder if it's in pairing mode at first? And maybe that uses a lot more battery? Just trying to figure out what is going on. I saw that Lionel Sanders' power meter was dead at the race start as well. What kind did he have?

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Tap battery dead after transporting wheel or bike? [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's interesting that transporting the wheel, when not on the bike, also drains the battery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
I've noticed a pattern where transporting my wheel or my entire bike kills my Powertap battery. Anybody else notice this? A friend suggested that maybe the jiggling of the transportation causes the power meter to wake up and the searching for a head unit drains the battery faster?
The Powertap uses an internal magnetic switch (reed switch) to turn itself on as a function of the wheel rotating. It may be that you (unluckily) positioned the wheel such that it's continuously activating that switch. Other than that there is not much that can cause the thing to malfunction in the way you're suggesting. As noted by rijndael, the powertap does the transmitting and the head unit does the searching. No "pairing" or anything like that at the start.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was having a lot of issues a year or so ago and wheelbuilder told me there was some article indicating that transporting the wheel somehow "toggled" it on, draining the battery. Didn't turn out to be my issue though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet you are on to something. Way too many folks find their PT/PM dead on race day. A lot of folks replace the batteries on arrival at the venue. It's a pain, but so was the training to get there and then to not have watts?
Quote Reply
Re: Power Tap battery dead after transporting wheel or bike? [TriA6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriA6 wrote:
I bet you are on to something. Way too many folks find their PT/PM dead on race day. A lot of folks replace the batteries on arrival at the venue. It's a pain, but so was the training to get there and then to not have watts?

Yep. That's going to be my new s.o.p. Get there, new battery.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or just pull it out before transport and reinstall at your event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am curious which PT hub that you have?

When I first got my G3 the battery was draining fast. I was shocked to find out before starting to train inside I first turned on the Garmin Edge and it noticed the PT G3 hub before I even woke up the wheel. I experienced this happening one time out of many uses, but for those first months I was changing batteries every few weeks and had the PM die on a couple of training rides. So it must have been having trouble going to sleep.

After a firmware update I have not experienced that again. I get about 6 months out the battery now.

I never had that sort of problem with the older SL type hubs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My new G3 hub died at a race last year. That was before the latest firmware update (my fault for not doing the update!). Since the update so far so good.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Power Tap battery dead after transporting wheel or bike? [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you do a firmware update? How can I tell what version it is?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe you'll have to go into poweragent and see what version your hub has by plugging the powercap to your computer.

You can find the latest version of firmware on the Powertap site.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Power Tap battery dead after transporting wheel or bike? [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
I believe you'll have to go into poweragent and see what version your hub has by plugging the powercap to your computer.

You can find the latest version of firmware on the Powertap site.

That's it

PowerAgent and then follow the directions. I believe I had to go to the store to get a new connection cord. I forget if is a micro or what. Tex, you may want to do a quick web search just to see if you have one or not.

The screen shots in the PA application will look something like

Quote Reply
Re: Power Tap battery dead after transporting wheel or bike? [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goddamn... I love slowtwitch.

Quote Reply