Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Power Speedplays coming March 16th?
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the I'll believe it when I see it and DCRM reviews it camp.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
I'm in the I'll believe it when I see it and DCRM reviews it camp.

that's not the only place news happens ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This means i'll finally be able to use one of those interesting aero cranks and still have power!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CL43PZnF0LG/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

I guess we’ll find out. Might just be a lollipop redesign I’ve heard rumors about.

It would be nice if Wahoo offered reasonable access to Speedplay replacement parts again:(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn’t this the company that teased something “big” last year and it turned out to be a Bolt with a pink case or something?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be more pumped about a gravel pedal that fixed the problem with the Syzr's.

Is it too much to ask for a pedal with road feel/performance and MTB pedal mud shedding?
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Isn’t this the company that teased something “big” last year and it turned out to be a Bolt with a pink case or something?

That was two years ago... and there was Blue too! :)

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If we are getting Speedplay PM pedals, I will be reading every review, including right here, Ray, Shane, etc. all while clicking every ad in sight, but since ST is all about that fit, the one thing you must address on this site is whether spindle widths can be changed as they can with the current non-PM Speedplays.

Some of us chose Speedplay in large part due to the ability to run wider-than-stock spindles, CdA be damned.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The current Garmin Power-Pedals, weren't those originally from some other company that Garmin bought and originally destined for Speedplays? I remember waiting around for them forever only to find they'd changed pedal platforms
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
If we are getting Speedplay PM pedals, I will be reading every review, including right here, Ray, Shane, etc. all while clicking every ad in sight, but since ST is all about that fit, the one thing you must address on this site is whether spindle widths can be changed as they can with the current non-PM Speedplays.

Some of us chose Speedplay in large part due to the ability to run wider-than-stock spindles, CdA be damned.

i am sworn to secrecy. but i will tell you this, and i hope i don't get in the dutch for it. for those of you who feel that pedal spindle lengths are a high point of the speedplay brand, your faith in wahoo is not misplaced.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
The current Garmin Power-Pedals, weren't those originally from some other company that Garmin bought and originally destined for Speedplays? I remember waiting around for them forever only to find they'd changed pedal platforms

Yep. They were still on Kickstarter when Garmin bought them. The early birds may have been disappointed, but then it also took like five years or more to finally release the product.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It already exists. It is called HT Leopard M1 pedal.
https://www.ht-components.com/...uct/productDetail/20

Zero slop, rock or creaking. Has several cleats to choose from for your desired level of float. Comes in a titanium spindle version if you want that.

I have been running these for a year at this point. Cured me of looking for gravel/mountain pedals that don't have issues. Also cured me of trying to run road pedals and shoes for gravel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
refthimos wrote:

i am sworn to secrecy. but i will tell you this, and i hope i don't get in the dutch for it. for those of you who feel that pedal spindle lengths are a high point of the speedplay brand, your faith in wahoo is not misplaced.

I am hoping for more than pedal washers.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Slowman wrote:
refthimos wrote:

I am hoping for more than pedal washers.

speedplay no do pedal washers

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried speed plays once which I tot can help w/ my ankle issues but my legs didn't like it. Somehow the pedals has quite a bit of lateral movement and I found out it's because there's wear on the spindle (not the metal X) but the plastic surrounding the metal.

My knees didt like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubt it would come so early after the acquisition. It took years for Garmin to take what was Metrigear (if my memory serves me correctly) and make a really good pedal based power meter. I would expect in maybe 2-3 years they would have a pedal based power meter ready, although I would love it sooner rather than later since I love Speedplay (I have Vector 3 on my tribike and Speedplay on my road bike). Anyway lets see, but if Wahoo does another 'big thing coming' and its another Wahoo Bolt case, I will be very disappointed (to say the least). In fact, they need to update the Bolt, its getting a bit long in tooth IMHO.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love Speedplays and have in meantime accommodated myself with spider-based solutions for power. They are a bit late!
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [Feehliks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well they purchased Speedplay last year and befroenthst the owners refused to even consider a powermeter...at least that is what the rumor mill said.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [Feehliks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feehliks wrote:
I love Speedplays and have in meantime accommodated myself with spider-based solutions for power. They are a bit late!

Exactly!
I have speed plays on all my bikes....as well as quarq PM's
But, if the price is right, Im sure my arm could be twisted.....just because :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My arm would require very little twisting, I think. Can someone answer these questions for me:

Do speedplay pedals have any serious drawback for MTB or Gravel riding compared to other options?
Can the same speedplay pedals be used on the track/road/triathlon, as for MTB & Gravel?
Are different shoes needed than shoes drilled for things like Look cleats?

Would love the aerodynamic benefits and clip-in-speed/ease benefit I perceive there to be with speedplay pedals compared to Look, which my wife and I use exclusively because we have Garmin Vector 2s and 3s.

If speedplay checks all those boxes above, and has even reasonable reliability/accuracy for power, this is going to be a "shut up and take my money" moment for us for 2 sets of power pedals... and probably more.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The traditional speedplay cleats and dirt don't play nicely together.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew69 wrote:
Feehliks wrote:

Exactly!
I have speed plays on all my bikes....as well as quarq PM's

But, if the price is right, Im sure my arm could be twisted.....just because :-)

X2. I have been on Speedplays since 94. I just got through talking to my mechanic and said the same thing. A good price point = a purchase for Billabong.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [bearlyfinish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:(

Could this solve that?? https://www.speedplay.com/...me.zerowalkablecleat

Speedplay newbie here.

Is this what's needed for using shoes drilled for Look cleats, to make them play well with speedplay? Is there an aero/weight penalty? Asking anyone and everyone. Very much appreciate insight/data/experiences shared!

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Power Speedplays coming March 16th? [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

Do speedplay pedals have any serious drawback for MTB or Gravel riding compared to other options?

Speedplay Zero road pedals would be an awful choice for MTB or Gravel. They are very sensitive to any dirt, sand getting in the cleat. And they're harder to clean on the fly, e.g. kicking your pedal a few times is less likely to work. And you probably don't want to run on those expensive cleats.

Seedplay SYZR (MTB) or Pavé (gravel) are far better. I haven't tried either personally, as they seem a bit less well-regarded in the larger MTB/gravel community than the classic SPD, Crank Bros, etc. And SYZR/ Pavé are completely different systems than the Zero road system. No compatibility at all.

Quote:

Can the same speedplay pedals be used on the track/road/triathlon, as for MTB & Gravel?

Not well. You're giving up either most of the aerodynamic benefit, etc, by using the MTB/Gravel version on the road, or the dirt-handling benefit by using road in the dirt. I use Speedplay on track/road/TT. Crank Bros. in the dirt.

Be careful for the moment with considering SYZR/ Pavé. Speedplay has apparently stopped shipping new stock and parts for those in the past few months. Maybe this upcoming announcement will bring them back in some capacity...or a replacement system for the dirt. But be careful.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 2, 21 14:53
Quote Reply

Prev Next