Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Power Cranks....I cant wait.
Quote | Reply
As some of you know - a year ago Frank Day gave me a set of PowerCranks to award to the person at Rockman who finished "Half Fast". This was the person who got to the line (in the storms) dead in the center of the pack. What we did for this fellow was give him a set of PowerCranks and about a years supply of Hammer - Heed, Gel, Recoverite, and Endurlytes.

Fast forward about 52 or so weeks. Our "Half Fast" person has been training on PowerCranks all spring. He has been Fueling Right with the Hammer products - and this Sunday will be back on the Rockman course to see if infact he is no longer "Half Fast".

Now, I have a set of PowerCranks and love to ride them - more for the fact that they are fun than anything. What we have here however was not a person who was shopping for PowerCranks, not a person who purchased them expecting to find a gain...what we have is a person who was given a set of PowerCranks to train with out of the blue. A person who had no thoughts on if they did or did not work....but he found himself with PowerCranks.

I have spoken at with this guy...and I will let the results of the Rockman 2009 speak for themselves. I do think that if there ever was an honest "What can they do for me" time in the years of PowerCranks - we are on them this weekend right here in Illinois....I get the feeling that our rider is no longer "Half Fast"....

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Power Cranks....I cant wait. [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But, how do we know he trained on them? How do we know he actually used them?
Quote Reply
Re: Power Cranks....I cant wait. [persondude27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
But, how do we know he trained on them? How do we know he actually used them?
He said he did...he said the same thing that I said when I got on them about them. I take him at his word. We dont need a wind tunnel to know if he did, or did not use them - he said he did. If he didnt - that is his honor, not ours.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't it be helpful if we had some info on the guy? number of years in tri, avg # of hrs training last year vs this year, etc.?
Quote Reply
Re: Power Cranks....I cant wait. [veloesq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Wouldn't it be helpful if we had some info on the guy? number of years in tri, avg # of hrs training last year vs this year, etc.?
How would that help?

Rik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope he crushes it. I mean totally owns the race.

-All You Haters Suck My Balls-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The variable would be whether or not he's training harder or the same as the year before, but it is still interesting.

56-11...the only way to fly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you know what the statistical chances are that he finishes right bang in the middle 2 years in a row? i'd take bets against that any day.

in fact now that we know there is a half-fast prize. i'm sure lots of people will be gunning for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will there be power data from last year and this year? If not, how can you tell if something was effective for the bike leg? Just looking at time won't let you isolate whether it's weather related, aero related, fitness related....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the "half fast" term, LOL.

Hope you're getting some sleep in the midst of race preparations, Chip.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no doubt that such a man would absolutely crush it on the bike this year

because he has been forced to WORK HARD every moment he is on the bike.

In Reply To:
As some of you know - a year ago Frank Day gave me a set of PowerCranks to award to the person at Rockman who finished "Half Fast". This was the person who got to the line (in the storms) dead in the center of the pack. What we did for this fellow was give him a set of PowerCranks and about a years supply of Hammer - Heed, Gel, Recoverite, and Endurlytes.

Fast forward about 52 or so weeks. Our "Half Fast" person has been training on PowerCranks all spring. He has been Fueling Right with the Hammer products - and this Sunday will be back on the Rockman course to see if infact he is no longer "Half Fast".

Now, I have a set of PowerCranks and love to ride them - more for the fact that they are fun than anything. What we have here however was not a person who was shopping for PowerCranks, not a person who purchased them expecting to find a gain...what we have is a person who was given a set of PowerCranks to train with out of the blue. A person who had no thoughts on if they did or did not work....but he found himself with PowerCranks.

I have spoken at with this guy...and I will let the results of the Rockman 2009 speak for themselves. I do think that if there ever was an honest "What can they do for me" time in the years of PowerCranks - we are on them this weekend right here in Illinois....I get the feeling that our rider is no longer "Half Fast"....

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
. I do think that if there ever was an honest "What can they do for me" time in the years of PowerCranks - we are on them this weekend right here in Illinois....I get the feeling that our rider is no longer "Half Fast"....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...you are kidding right? So you assume that last years results in the middle of a horrible storm, were accurate of his abilities last year. It sounds like the guy will simply go faster if the weather is nicer.
I think it is great that Frank stepped up and gave the cranks as a prize but to tout this as anything more than "interesting" is pretty funny. .
Quote Reply
Re: Power Cranks....I cant wait. [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the point would be to compare his results relative to the other competitors, I'm sure.

I've just thought of a test I'd love to see if I won the mega lotto:

compare power crank results
to those with an energy wasting bottom bracket that requires like 200 watts to go fast enough not to fall over.

that would be interesting. is it 'pedalling in circles' that is helping or is it 'hard work'?
=)

In Reply To:
In Reply To:
. I do think that if there ever was an honest "What can they do for me" time in the years of PowerCranks - we are on them this weekend right here in Illinois....I get the feeling that our rider is no longer "Half Fast"....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...you are kidding right? So you assume that last years results in the middle of a horrible storm, were accurate of his abilities last year. It sounds like the guy will simply go faster if the weather is nicer.
I think it is great that Frank stepped up and gave the cranks as a prize but to tout this as anything more than "interesting" is pretty funny. .

Last edited by: jackmott: Jun 3, 09 6:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Nice add for PC's in exchange for the free set of PC's. I personally would have exchanged for a water bottle or something ... but thats just me. Now a fine set of campy record ultracranks ... that would be something I'd keep :-) You need to change your handle to PC10metal I guess ;-)
Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I knew all of ST was going to be updated on my cycling progress a year in advance, I am pretty sure I would step up my training, regardless of whether or not I had power cranks.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Cranks....I cant wait. [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
the point would be to compare his results relative to the other competitors, I'm sure.

So if a slew of fast folks show up and he is BOP, does that mean that Powercranks don't work? ;)
like I said, it was a nice gesture by Frank and a nice prize but that's it.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Cranks....I cant wait. [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a chi square test of the sample sizes involved would indicate the odds of that are not good.

In Reply To:
In Reply To:

So if a slew of fast folks show up and he is BOP, does that mean that Powercranks don't work? ;)
like I said, it was a nice gesture by Frank and a nice prize but that's it.

Quote Reply
Re: Power Cranks....I cant wait. [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I have no doubt that such a man would absolutely crush it on the bike this year

because he has been forced to WORK HARD every moment he is on the bike.
I had my PC's on the trainer - in spin class....about killed me. If they do nothing than make you work harder AND enjoy the time spent...well worth the money.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
possibly, there just might be cheaper/easier ways to do that is all.

like if I can keep attaching myself to the back wheel of austin texas roadies I think I am good to go...

lol
In Reply To:
I had my PC's on the trainer - in spin class....about killed me. If they do nothing than make you work harder AND enjoy the time spent...well worth the money.

Quote Reply
Re: Power Cranks....I cant wait. [rik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You haters are just nervous that we are finally going to prove once and for all and with unquestionable science that PCs work.

We should be able to predict his bike split by calculating what a 40% increase in power will yield.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Cranks....I cant wait. [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a few sets of Record Ultra Torque Cranks, as well as Record Carbon ST and Record Alu ST. Fact remains - if PC makes you work more, you work more...and we all know that "more is more".

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think if he's faster it was the Heed! And if he hadn't had the PowerCranks slowing him down, that Heed would have made him the overall race winner!
(think of that as pink). The point is that you can't control the variables such as training time...perhaps he worked harder this year knowing all eyes would be on him at this year's race.
But then again, I have to believe that PCs will make most riders faster because it guarantees good pedalling form. Is this man going to do the race with the PCs on?
Quote Reply
Re: Power Cranks....I cant wait. [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The point is that you can't control the variables such as training time...perhaps he worked harder this year knowing all eyes would be on him at this year's race.

Yeah, while this will be a great endorsement of powercranks, the more scientific version of this experiment would've involved taking 10-30 racers who all had similar bike splits (within a few seconds of each other), give powercranks to half of them and have them all commit to the same training program--hours, periodization, etc.--and report their training weekly throughout the year. That way, you'd have a control group to compare to your experiment group.

Nonetheless, I wish the guy well in the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Cranks....I cant wait. [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Is this man going to do the race with the PCs on?
I am not sure, but my gut tells me no.

Still...it the ONLY thing the PC's did was make him train more, better or harder....is that, or is that not worth the price of dimples on your wheel?

(not directed at jyeager - just an over all question)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not against or pro PowerCranks. I just do not want to spend $1K on a toy (a tri bike is of course NOT a toy :)).

However, even if we let the results of Rockman 2009 speak for themselves, how can we tell the (guessed) improvements are coming from the PowerCranks vs. an extra year of training (and maybe more training and maybe more structured training)?

Fred.
Quote Reply

Prev Next