Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power-based full bike training plan
Quote | Reply
I used the Be Iron Fit intermediate training plan for my last full. I enjoyed the plan for the swim and the run programs, but I felt like heart rate training did not help me make many gains on the bike. I am looking for a power meter based bike plan. I will likely do most of my weekday rides on my Kickr and do my long rides outside. Trainer road or training peaks (or other plans) would be fine. I am looking for a 30 week plan ideally, but i am open to suggestions.

I am signed up for IM FL (if it happens). Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Power-based full bike training plan [LouisQ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think TrainerRoad is your answer. They have a new season planner where you input when you want to start, when the A-race you want to peak for is, any intermediate (B and C) races you plan to do in the interim, how much time you have to train each week, and it generates a complete training plan on the calendar. You can now load the workouts on your Garmin or Wahoo, too, so you can stick to the "plan" while riding outside. In my opinion, that works better for the longer, easier (threshold and below) workouts than the VO2 max workouts, which aligns well with your intention of doing weekday stuff on the trainer and your long weekend rides outside.

Most people who have been on TR for a while have a few 1 month trials to give away. PM me if you'd like one.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Power-based full bike training plan [LouisQ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also look up the book "Training and racing with a power meter" by Allen and Coggan. Lots of good bike workouts there. And the third edition is out.

New in this third edition:
  • All-new power metrics: FRC, Pmax, mFTP, Power Duration Curve, and more
  • Two new power-based training plans for masters cyclists and triathletes
  • New training plans to raise Functional Threshold Power
  • Over 100 new power-based workouts
  • New guidance for triathletes on pacing the bike and run
  • New case studies on masters cyclists and triathletes
  • Methods to test power duration and pinpoint weaknesses in a variety of race distances
  • 100 newly illustrated charts

Quote Reply