Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Potts in 2019
Quote | Reply
The last couple of years, he hasn't dominated the swim like he did pre 2011. But, this last race showed him swim kind of like his old self.... but then he actually biked. From my perspective, he's always played the bike super conservatively. It did hurt his run in this last race.

But, is there a chance Potts is going to swim with Amberger and actually bike in Kona? Yes, he's the king of consistency in Kona, taking that crown from Lovato, Widoff but not quite Fernanda Keller territory, but man would it be nice to see Potts bike a bit closer to the B group.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Potts in 2019 [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree! I'm keen to see him race again, because that was a different version of racing than what we've seen from him!
Quote Reply
Re: Potts in 2019 [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I've heard, it may not just be a change in approach to the bike leg, but just a straight up gain in fitness as well. I'm sure a lot of people would love to see his power numbers from Cancun and compare it to races from years past.

On another note, I'm proud to have affiliated myself with Andy and his team this year. I'll be racing in the same kit as him, I'm riding a ceepo, running in Altras, blah blah blah. Not because I have to, but because him and his team (shout out to Daniel Brienza), showed a genuine interest in making the sport as accessible to new pros as possible and have delivered in every way. Pretty exciting to be entering this scene with the knowledge that it could be my life for 20 years and I could still be getting better... takes a little of the pressure of St. George in 5 days haha.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
The last couple of years, he hasn't dominated the swim like he did pre 2011. But, this last race showed him swim kind of like his old self.... but then he actually biked. From my perspective, he's always played the bike super conservatively. It did hurt his run in this last race.

But, is there a chance Potts is going to swim with Amberger and actually bike in Kona? Yes, he's the king of consistency in Kona, taking that crown from Lovato, Widoff but not quite Fernanda Keller territory, but man would it be nice to see Potts bike a bit closer to the B group.

I like Josh and have met him a few times but he isn't a good enough pro to work with Potts. By the turn, Potts will be solo which doesn't help his race. If Josh and one other could stay together until about 150K then maybe it would help potts.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Potts in 2019 [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh, wasn't envisioning Amberger and Potts hitting the turn around together, but Potts riding with Frodo.

As for improved fitness, Potts's legs in that podium photo were jacked.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve heard him discuss his swim and it seems he has just put it in perspective to the total race. Winning the swim may cost you in the run. Work on your weaknesses seems to be his mantra.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
oh, wasn't envisioning Amberger and Potts hitting the turn around together, but Potts riding with Frodo.

good point

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Potts in 2019 [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

I like Josh and have met him a few times but he isn't a good enough pro to work with Potts. By the turn, Potts will be solo which doesn't help his race. If Josh and one other could stay together until about 150K then maybe it would help potts.

Josh was the only one to stay with Starky and Wurf until after Hawi. Why would you think he isn't good enough to stay with Potts???? And this is Josh with an injury.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Potts in 2019 [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was this ever a big problem for him? I always thought he was a guy who appropriately held enough back on the swim despite the fact that he would still often lead...??? Maybe he has dialed it back even more for the swim?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:

maybe he's found the fountain of youth... or just plain wants it more

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think I would be holding up this race as one that says his swim has come back. There were literally no big time swimmers there, and just one guy off the front a lot with him. Not that I dont think he can be back up front in a big race, this just wasnt it. And as you know, times are irrelevant in the pro ranks, it is all about placing. But I hope you are right, and he will have no trouble staying on front breakaway feet in the big ones.

It has been great to watch this whole crop of 40 somethings continue to race as top level pros. And when you look at Crowie, or Cameron, or Andy, it is the swim that is the first to go. The first two most often have to start their bikes out of the 2nd pack now, and Andy often is at the very back of lead groups, ones he used to break away from. Then it seems to be the bike that fades just a hair, and the run last. At least the longer runs, I'm sure they would suffer more time in 10ks than 1/2's and marathons.

This race of Andy's was reminiscent of some of the old Oceanside races, swim off the front, bike out there all day, and hang on with a great run for a wire to wire win..

And when talking about Kona top 10 legends, dont forget Faris and Kenny Glah. Someone will have to do a count, but I think one of those guys had more top money finishes than anyone else in the mens...
Quote Reply
Re: Potts in 2019 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

maybe he's found the fountain of youth... or just plain wants it more

I hope he’s not using any of that youth serum. He has been such a great ambassador for the sport. Definitely a guy I root for.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still trying to figure out if there is much love for Andy Potts here.

He's had such a long career with some wins and not just middling results. Is there some love, admiration and respect for him or why not?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Potts in 2019 [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of love. Also from within the pro field. He's one of the most well-respected pros period.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely! Hard worker, super consistent, maintaining very solid results over time, success at every level of tri; give no quarter competitor while remaining a decent person.

Really, you couldn't ask for much more from a successful pro career, IMO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
Still trying to figure out if there is much love for Andy Potts here.

He's had such a long career with some wins and not just middling results. Is there some love, admiration and respect for him or why not?

• He went to the Olympics in 2004 representing USA
  • He's won 70.3 Worlds and a bajillion other 70.3 races
  • 4th place at Kona, twice
  • Won Alcatraz 6 times
  • Genuine nice guy and super approachable
  • Family man

Andy Potts is world class, and among the best American triathletes. His longevity is enviable, I'm sure even among pros. Besides his super lame Instagram account, I can't fault the guy for anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Potts in 2019 [lanceman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just about to send you a link to this thread!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:

Lange has shown you don’t have to be first, second or third off the bike to win the thing. You just have to hide in the group and bring your A game for the marathon.

If Jan is healthy and fit come Kona this year it might be a race for the ages. He was fit AF at 70.3 WC last year.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Potts in 2019 [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will admit that I like him a little less now that I saw his Instagram account, that is probably the worst thing I've seen on the internet lately and I watch cat videos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love Andy, it's kind of funny as a newer triathlete to be on the bike and old men pass you...in fact it's very annoying because I have no idea how they do it. Got a lot of work to put in.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Potts in 2019 [ilikepizza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ilikepizza wrote:
I will admit that I like him a little less now that I saw his Instagram account, that is probably the worst thing I've seen on the internet lately and I watch cat videos.

He's eccentric for sure....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still trying to figure out if there is much love for Andy Potts here. //

Well there is a whole thread here on just him, and there have been many before this. Who besides Lionel gets that kind of attention and love? He is our only hope in the 45-49 pro division, with Cameron and Crowie already there, how bad is it that he might only be third best in the old guys category, and going this good too!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of love.

I met him at the Timberman back in 2010 or so. I was running as part of a relay team and knew nothing about biking or swimming at the time.

Blew me away how fast the pros were. It also struck me how accessible the pros were - Andy specifically.

Love following his successes.
Quote Reply
Re: Potts in 2019 [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He’s definitely having a strong year so far.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Potts in 2019 [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! Same story for me and I think it may actually have been 2010 as well.

I was doing Escape as runner on a corporate relay team and didn’t have a clue of what triathlon was to begin with. Learned who Andy was, talked him (pros kinda have to hang out with corporate participants at this race) and eventually decided to do a triathlon myself. Talked to him more over the years and eventually got my first 70.3 WC coin from him. He’s who I think of when I hear “class act,” so awesome to see him keep crushing it!
Quote Reply

Prev Next