Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Potential Bike Study
Quote | Reply
Some preface: I have been reading a lot about Desert Dude's attempt to find the absolute best superbike in the field. It got me really intrigued to say the least. What if there was a way to compare all bikes on a point scale according to the physical aspects of the bike. For example, how important is each bike component to the average rider. Is it the groupset? The wheels, the material of the bike, the saddle? Well, if we could weight those specific variables on a 100 point scale and find a weighted average for each of those in terms of importance, then we could find a total point scale (ie a(x)+b(x)+c(x)=d))

Goal: Create a table with every single bike in the market on a 100 point scale that anyone can use to compare bikes (excluding fit)

It is very hard to explain but here is what I will ask.... What components are the most important when choosing a bike - excluding all fitting aspects.

After I receive this information, I can ask a similar question, rank these components in order from most important to least important.

If you are confused or have any other comments, don't be afraid to say something!

Updates will be posted here:
Quote Reply
Re: Potential Bike Study [quinnserfa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leaving out fit misses the point of a Tri bike (to get the rider in a better position).
Both range of adjustment (Trek SC good) and ease (Trek SC no so good) are critical.
Lack of adjustment is what makes a Giant Trinity poor value instead of the good value that just looking at a spec sheet suggests.
Quote Reply
Re: Potential Bike Study [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure, I bought a Shiv that didn't fit me well. However, I think it would still be cool to stack up each bike next to each other to see which ones are the best.
For example: if it is one a 100 point scale and I am a new bike buyer.

Well I can look at this spreadsheet to know which one is the best and choose from there based off of price point and components. Say the Trek SC (high end) is a 76 and the new Speedmax is a 79 or something. Well, I can find the bikes that I am originally interested using variables such as pricepoint. What is the best bang for my buck. From there, you could take this list of potential bikes to a fitter and they can tell you what you could fit in and what you can't fit in. That way, you give them a definite set of things that you could fit in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fitters should already be giving you a list of bikes you fit, irrespective of what your preferences are.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Potential Bike Study [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well in that case, it would be nice to compare the bikes after you get them recommended to you. you could use this spreadsheet to see what the best bike that fits you would be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your body is about 80% of the drag on a bike.
Quote Reply