Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post run nutrition
Quote | Reply
I've been out of the racing and hard training game for some time. Getting back going again and out of pure laziness, was wondering if the smarty-pants' of the forum could get me up to speed on post run replenishing science. I doubt there is a tremendous change in what I was doing 10 years ago but I know in this ever evolving field, there is bound to be some. Specifically, I'm looking for what percentage of protein and carbs in recovery drinks seems to be the most effective. What type of carb or protein. Just anything that might be appropriate. Much thanks in advance!!
Quote Reply
Re: Post run nutrition [SpencerDC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long are your runs?
Quote Reply
Re: Post run nutrition [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Standard stuff. One long (15 to 20 mile range), one med (13 or under), and a collection of whatever else I can fit in for 50 +/- week. Also getting some 2 - 3 hour rides in during the week also.
Last edited by: SpencerDC: Jun 3, 20 10:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using Endurox R4 for years. For an all-around product, I love it. However...

The world is pivoting to whole chocolate milk as the perfect recovery drink from heaven. It is wonderful. I keep some chocolate milk in the house for runs from home. If I am driving to my run, or at a race, I will bring R4 mix because it does not need to be kept cold.

The secret is whole milk... don't get any of that skim or 2% junk. Whole chocolate milk tastes so good that it will make you look forward to your runs and excuse to drink it.
Quote Reply
Re: Post run nutrition [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love Endurox also as it's my go-to.

Chocolate milk is good but a little rich for me. I use it on occasion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All the "recovery" foods are nonsense. Yes you should refuel after a long run. No you don't need a special drink to do it. Finish your run, make sure you drink some water, and have a meal. Don't wait too long. It really is that easy. It's far cheaper, it's whole foods so it's better for you, and it tastes way better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eat a sandwich.
Quote Reply
Re: Post run nutrition [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fast digesting protein + carbs

so whey protein or egg whites + some bread or high GI fruit for me

if you dont workout multiple times a day or lay around the rest of it then that matters less
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take a protein shake after all my runs and bike sessions.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chocolate milk is my favourite. Or beer if it’s been a particularly long and hard run in hot weather

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always make a recovery shake and got into the habit of only using whole foods years ago. Protein powder is really awful stuff and overpriced, you can get way more quality protein for a lot cheaper. Mines usually

Frozen fruit
A little spinach or kale (Dont use stem on kale and only a little)
Ginger ( Thumb sized piece, soothes stomach)
Protein (Tofu, hardboiled eggs w/shell, raw egg, lentils/beans)
Almond butter (not a lot)
High protein almondmilk

Pretty simple and is packed with nutrients and minerals. I squeeze a lemon or orange in there sometimes, easy peezy

Strava
Last edited by: rsjrv99: Jun 3, 20 16:32
Quote Reply