Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [colinphillips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. Some sense spoken at last. There is nothing in this other than Gomez being a bit sore he's been well beaten.

Why the hell would Brownlee need any help beating Gomez? He's beaten him nigh on every time they have both been fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to me it looks like he basically parked himself between gomez and the rest of the pack during the swim, and forced gomez to swim much farther out in the river, away from the pack. anytime gomez tried to cut across to the pack, wiltshire swam over top of him. i think this may be the only debatable point because the crap on the stairs was pretty obvious. on the stairs, wiltshire even first LOOKED and saw it was indeed javier, then slowed and parked his ass right infront of him to delay gomez longer. after that, to make it look as if he was still moving forward, wiltshire started to ascend the stair. but instead of going up and across toward the exit like everyone else, he went straight up the stairs. why would he do this? he stumbled up the stairs in a different direction than the exit? i dont think so. i think he stayed in a straight line in order to block gomez on the edge of the stairs even longer. look at how fast everyone is moving up the stairs, and then look at wiltshire just taking his sweet time.

Dan Meehan
Coach / Athlete
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [Salmon Steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, the entire English team should be banned next WCS. At a minimum he should be banned for the season

You wouldn't get away with that much contact in a 10 km swim race, you would have been pulled from the race.

The was quite over the top

England team should feel shame. Would it be ok it people were pushing each over on the run or riding people into the ditch on the bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [Jackb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i cant tell if youre joking or not. i think you are serious.

i dont think the team should be banned for any length of time, unless they somehow determine it was a deliberate team tactic sent down from the coaches.

wiltshire should be sanctioned individually though.

Dan Meehan
Coach / Athlete
Quote Reply
Post deleted by eganski [ In reply to ]
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [Jackb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackb wrote:
England team should feel shame.

I hope at leas that bit was a joke. England don't have a team in the WCS.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That kind of bullshit would never be allowed in A FINA open water swim event. He would have got a penalty and then pulled from the event.

Wiltshire, you are an ass and won't come close to making the Oly team (which likely the reason for his antics)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
colinphillips wrote:
Granpa Chook wrote:
raginpotato wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpPPZ9LUM_M

Spanish federation release a video of the mens swim... Pretty clear whats going on.

thanks for finding that. 1:14-1:25 is bullshit. who the hell is harry wiltshire anyway.

(Disclaimer, I'm a Brit, so no way I could be trusted on this.)

I watched that segment of the video a few times. It's no big deal - seems that both Gomez and Wiltshire came in at the tail end of a pile o' folks who were all trying to exit in exactly the same spot. Wiltshire stumbled a bit after extricating himself, and Gomez thought he might squeeze through on the inside. Didn't work out for him. Gomez was right behind Wiltshire at the bottom of the steps, and the same at the top.

It's not like there's a lot of motive for Wiltshire to do anything malicious. First, he likely know that it was Javier Gomez who was right behind him. Second, he has no reason of his own to compete with Gomez -- presumably his main concern these days is all of the other non-Brownlee Brits who are fighting for the 3rd Olympic spot. And it's not like the British team has any reason to do this either, since the Brownlees don't need that kind of help right now. Much ado about nothing.

Are you serious?

Watch at 18seconds, Wiltshire pulls Gomez back from his shoulder. At that stage in the swim, it would seem that that was purely intentional.

When he and Gomez are swimming side by side, Wiltshire is breathing to the left, would be aware where the pack is and that he is swimming away from the pack.

When he exits the water, he looks left at Gomez and then does the lousy fumble cutting Gomez off when he knows he is there.

And, this is only 2mins of footage that we have!!!

This on the whole is a really low act, and sadly for Wiltshire, will affect his reputation his his entire career. He could of at the least swum with his cap properly fixed.

Also, did Wiltshire get DQ'd for this, or for giving Alistair his wheel? If it's the wheel scenario, then wouldn't Alistair also get DQ'd as well for receiving 'outside assitance', the same way you can't take anything from anyone on the course at anytime, ie. a water bottle, nutrition that isn't officially designated.

http://www.josh-amberger.com/
Last edited by: hey_burgs: Jun 26, 11 14:25
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [hey_burgs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey_burgs wrote:
then wouldn't Alistair also get DQ'd as well for receiving 'outside assitance'

And imagine what it would do to your reputation if it could be misconstrued that you were wanting Alistair to be DQd, burgs.

I LOVE where this thread is going hahaha.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [Salmon Steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who is Harry Wiltshire? Never even heard that name before.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Wiltshire has received a DQ from that race

http://www.triathlon.org/...559/harry_wiltshire/
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Who is Harry Wiltshire? Never even heard that name before.

GB squad for a long, long time.
Very impressive swimmer.
Think he's won world university champs (could be wrong).
Coaches on the same team as a certain Julie Dibens.
Apparently some chancer called Gomez recently had a bone to pick with him.

But the last one is just a rumour.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [triathlonstu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL @ people calling for him to be dq'ed for the season

LOL @ people calling for AB to be dq'ed

I think if this was intentional - it won't happen again. Enjoy the brief fanfare.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [fedor123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't see why Wiltshire would want to be swimming out wide when there are faster swimmers to draft off just a few meters to the left. I can certainly see why Javier wants to get over to the left to join the draft pack but the line that Wiltshire is holding just makes no sense to me if he is racing for his own best time (different story if he is in the lead), and he would know that they are both going slower and using up more energy than necessary swimming alone and virtually on top of each other.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [hey_burgs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey_burgs wrote:
.... then wouldn't Alistair also get DQ'd as well for receiving 'outside assitance', the same way you can't take anything from anyone on the course at anytime, ie. a water bottle, nutrition that isn't officially designated.

You obviously don't know the rules mate. Outside assistance is deemed when you get assistance from someone outside of the race. Remember Chrissie and Rebekah Keat in Kona with the Co2?
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [Boobs2big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boobs2big wrote:
hey_burgs wrote:
.... then wouldn't Alistair also get DQ'd as well for receiving 'outside assitance', the same way you can't take anything from anyone on the course at anytime, ie. a water bottle, nutrition that isn't officially designated.

You obviously don't know the rules mate. Outside assistance is deemed when you get assistance from someone outside of the race. Remember Chrissie and Rebekah Keat in Kona with the Co2?

that was in kona. ITU has different rules regarding wheels available for the entire national team to use.

and i'm pretty sure josh knows the rules, considering his ITU pedigree.

Dan Meehan
Coach / Athlete
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [Boobs2big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
similarly at collegiate nationals they explicitly state it's illegal to give or take a wheel from a teammate. Which, in my opinion, is lame. But them's the rules.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [jpb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After watching the video, I can only feel very dissapointed. I think that harry doesn´t represent GB team, he represents himself, he shouldn´t race anymore. He is destroying the GB Team reputation, Brownlees are the best right now, and don´t need such a ridicoulous performance by Whilthire. My questions is, who gave him the instructions to do that? because watching the video, it is obvius that his plan was clear since the beggining.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [chesterlampuig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's about time ITU-style racing got more spicy. Maybe the bikes should be kitted-out with blades on the hubs ... make it like the Coliseum.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [chesterlampuig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobody can tell me that it wasn't predetermined.

I seriously doubt it wasn't known about by at least one other British team member.

I'm not sure Brownlee would be involved.

It would be fantastic if the ITU released a statement condeming the action and what it actually did about it.

It was a low "dog" act.

The brits apart from Brownlee's would be keen to demonstrate they are willing to do anything to be on the team. Given none of them can threaten either brownlee brother, it's a matter of who can best assist them in the Olympics. So they will all be bending over forwards and backwards for that 3rd slot.

This is why the british team should be sanctioned. The action was not taken as one individual against another. It was taken as a british team member against an athlete that could challenge another british team member for 1st place.

Wiltshire should recieve a ban. The british team should have to experience a consequence. Perhaps a one of those 15 second penalties at the start of the swim and one the run leg next race.

If the ITU let this slide without action it will only confirm they are useless.

It is disappointing that british team haven't already come out and apologised.

Do we want the sport to be like this? With athletes behaving like that?
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [Granpa Chook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Granpa Chook wrote:
Boobs2big wrote:
hey_burgs wrote:

that was in kona. ITU has different rules regarding wheels available for the entire national team to use.

and i'm pretty sure josh knows the rules, considering his ITU pedigree.

Well clearly he doesnt because it wasn't outside assistance. And ITU pedigree? He's a decent enough athlete but let's not pretend he's a Whitfield!
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [KingJulian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingJulian wrote:
And ITU pedigree? He's a decent enough athlete but let's not pretend he's a Whitfield!

I have no idea who hey_burgs is, so couldn't comment on his pedigree. Outside assistance? I think not!
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [Granpa Chook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
who the hell is harry wiltshire anyway.

quote of thread!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was clearly an intentional move on Wiltshires behalf. That punk did the same thing (pushed my head under and drove me to the outside) to me earlier this year when I tried to move around him in the last 400 meters of the swim and we almost lost contact with the group because of it. Really wanted to give that british prick a few broken ribs. Bottom line, he's very arrogant athlete always looking to cut a corner and I'm sure he will do this again.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was obviously intentional. Hopefully his actions were independent of his coaches or the british team.

The only thing is, what rule is he breaking by doing this? I'd go find the ITU rule-book but I'm too lazy. Obviously contact during the swim is allowed, and people definitely get dunked/swam over/pulled backwards during these swims and there aren't any penalties for it. I know you can't deliberately impede another person's forward progress, and it seems like it would apply in this scenario. Is there some type of "unnecessary roughness" rule that would apply here as well?
Quote Reply

Prev Next