Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post Event Report: Iceland Midnight Sun Run
Quote | Reply
June 21, 2018

Iceland – Suzuki Midnight Sun Run Half Marathon, 10k, and 5k

Thought I would share this here on Slowtwitch for those interested in this event as I was not able to find a lot before we went. Not a travel report, but it was my first time there and very simply this is now one of my favorite destinations and trips. My wife has been there in both winter and now summer and enjoyed both visits for the unique differences.

I saw this event posted somewhere, probably in an article, and it turned into something on our bucket list. The basic details are that is starts at 9pm in the evening around the summer solstice, longest day of the year. I think this event is traditionally on Thursday night but be sure to check as this year it was on the Summer Solstice. There is a 5k, 10k, and 21k (half marathon). My wife and I were running the 21k and our kids did the 5k.

Sign Up: Opened in January and signup was online and easy. Only kind of unique thing was paying for the finisher medal. Also, you pay in local currency so be sure the credit card you use does not have foreign transaction fees. Quite frankly, you can probably register on site with no problems, but that is too much risk for my tolerance. No issue with registration for any of us.

Getting to Start Venue: We stayed in main part of Reykjavik (which I recommend) and were very near the Hlemmur bus terminal. There is a fantastic bus App (Straeto) where you can buy tickets, routes, etc. and it was only like a 6 minute bus ride. Simple. There is no Uber in Iceland. We decided to go early to get our bib, though you can go before the race as packet pick up closes 45 minutes before the event. There are hotels closer to the race site, but these are not in the older and more interesting part of town.

Start Venue/Expo: The start area is a sports center. Big soccer stadium, ice skating rink, event hall, etc. This is also where the post event pool is located that you have a free ticket to use that night. They were having the Solstice music festival there as well. Expo/Packet Pickup was in one of the halls. It was very simple. Table to pick up your bib, just give them your name. Resolutions table – didn’t need. Table to buy a shirt (about $25) – only one style and they had samples to try on. And an info area with poster maps of the courses with knowledgeable staff to answer questions. Super helpful people working. Easy and done in less that 10 minutes.

Weather: For context, it was on and off sprinkling. A little heavier at times but never a super soaker. Temps were in the upper 40s. It was windy, like 18-20 mph. Small breaks in cloud at times made the sky pretty but mostly just cloudy.

Pre-Race Logistics: Again, we just took the bus. Race start was 9pm and we left our apartment around 8pm and basically were onsite by 825pm. There is a bag drop in the ice rink and we went there first. Only queue we ever stood in. Bring a bag/backpack and they stick tape to it and write your number on it. Again, simple but effective. There are toilets in the rink. We used bag check for dry clothes due to the weather, but if you plan to use the pool bring swim suit, flip flops, and towel, which is what my kids did after their 5k.

After bag drop we walked to the start which is right outside the event hall for packet pick up. I’d say we were there around 840pm. There was no athlete on the start line . Everyone was in the event hall as it was still a little misty and rainy. There was plenty of room and you could see the start through the windows. Once the crowd wandered out, we headed out. Again, easy.

Start Line: The 21k and the 10k start on the same route. The 5k does a different route. The way I read it there was a 10 minute gap between event starts, but there were a ton of 10k runners with us at the start. However, I think they let the 10k runners that are fast start with the 21k, but since we were doing the 21k and the kids were doing the 5k this still is an area I am not sure how it works so if you go and do the 10k, check that out. Regardless, it was not overly crowded to have the 10k runners with us so no concerns. Again, 9pm, gun goes off and we go.

Start to where split was between 21k and 10k: You start out running on roads, leaving the sports park which were quiet and had traffic control at intersections. A couple construction areas but at every point where there was an intersection or direction change there was a race volunteer ensuring you went the right way. This was a theme for the whole run so no route confusion possible. Once you go through some of the neighborhoods it moves on to these beautiful bike and run paths. Once on the path you run next to a beautiful flowing creek with fantastic greenery around it. The volcanic creation of the island makes for an awesome landscape. You are climbing up pretty much from the start. Nothing too crazy hard but it is not flat. Full disclosure, living in The Woodlands, TX compared to our running, this is a hilly run. Anywhere else, not really. A couple of sharp, short climbs but again on a well surfaced path. Got to the split for the 21k and 10k and well marked and manned. Crowd of runners thinned out so much that my wife asked me if we were dead last. We weren’t, there were still people I could see behind us.

10k/21K Split to the completion of net uphill: The route is a big loop. Once you get past the split, you are still on trails but arrive at a little bit of a false flat plateau. In this area you are running around a horse track/stables. In addition, you can see the mountains in the distance. It is really quite spectacular. This was pretty much the only part on the course that was exposed to the wind, and it was a tough slog as it was probably a steady 15mph headwind at this time. This may or may not be typical conditions. You run around the horse area then head over by a golf course. One of the most memorable experiences that my wife and I will share is seeing a young girl, probably ten or eleven years old, in her equestrian gear crossing under us atop her Icelandic horse heading back to the stables. Next to the horse was her small dog enjoying the exercise as well. She looked up and we waved and it did not dawn on us until later that it was probably about 10:30pm at night when all this happened. This highlights to me why doing active things in other countries adds to your life experience bank more than anything you can buy.

After this little boost, we ran out of the wind. There are a couple punchy climbs that will get you up to the highest point on the route over by the golf course. The views are fantastic, even on the cloudy, drizzly night we were having. If it was clear I can only imagine the scene. Aid stations are probably a little more spread out than the normal event in the US, but I do not see that as a problem. They were well manned and stocked with water and Powerade. When I needed one it was there. Though my wife and I were at the back of the run, course signs, staff/volunteers at intersections and aid stations made it easy. It was nice and quiet as well – remember this is probably around 1030pm on a weeknight.

High point to finish: Views from the top and coming down are wonderful as look towards ReykjavĂ­k and the sea. Not as great as could have been without the cloud cover, but beautiful nonetheless since it was not raining. Unlike the climb up where it was more broken up, there is one longish descent that gets you back to the plateau area, but on a different side. Then pretty much net downhill. For the last couple of kilometers you are on the same route as you were on the outbound through some of the neighborhoods. Again all well marked and controlled. Came into the finish which is right next to the ice rink, so were able to get our bags pretty quickly. My wife was pretty cold so that was a blessing for her to change into dry clothes quickly.

Finish Area: Had the typical but also had some hot soup. Could not tell you what it was but it was good. My wife still comments that the strangest thing she has ever heard is, “congratulations on your finish, there is hot soup in the parking lot.” It is surreal to be out so late at night and not need any lights to find your way around.

Pool: We did not go to the pool but the kids did and said it was pretty crowded but fun. There is a ticket in the packet – I think it was the Powerade card – but we forgot those so they had to pay to enter. We thought it was the race bib that gave entry, but no bother. It may have been something simple to fix, but it was not an issue.

Travel back to hotel: Buses run all night and with the app could find the the timetable. Bus stop was less that a quarter mile from the bag pick up. I could buy tickets for the whole family on the app and just show the phone to the driver – you have to set this up before but easy. There was a 24 hour store near us and many of the bars are still open if you need something post race.

Overall: Iceland is an amazing country. This event was one day and we spent 7 days there and loved every minute of it. We scheduled the trip around the race just because we wanted to do it, but the main reason was to visit the country. I really liked the event for the uniqueness of it being at night around the summer solstice, the beauty of the course route along streams, by horses, around a golf course, and views of the mountains and looking over Reykjavík to the sea. If you are not as experienced, you have to be a little more self reliant than many of the bigger events. Personally I like that, but know it can be stressful for some. However, this is a great friends and family event with the sports complex, the various distances, pool, etc. And, let’s also be very clear, Iceland is a very, very safe country so I had no concerns about travel to/from, kids at the pool or complex, etc. It was nice to share this experience with my family.

Hope that was helpful and if any other questions let me know.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Re: Post Event Report: Iceland Midnight Sun Run [Quo Vadimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good stuff. My wife did the Reykjavik Marathon last August (expo was at that same sports venue) and said it was so well run from a logistical standpoint and had a great route through the city as well as along the waterfront. I also agree that it is an amazing country to visit.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply