Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post COVID training
Quote | Reply
I could write a short story about my time after SARS-COVID-19 in march of 2020...but I do not feel the need at this time.

Training has been a major struggle since and I just want to connect with other triathletes dealing with this after the fact.

I have moved to heart rate training these days and that seems to help a lot.

If you have any questions please ask. I have seen a number of doctors.
Last edited by: LifeTri: Sep 7, 20 21:42
Quote Reply
Re: Post COVID training [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious to hear your story. I tested negative back in March after being in Seattle when everything hit the fan. However, it was an oral swab and it took almost two weeks (ie. fairly worthless) to get a test because I didn't have a cough and nobody took the diversity of symptoms seriously back then. I had shortness of breath for a couple weeks and a burning sensation in my lungs for a solid month, in addition to a low-grade fever, headaches, etc. Required 4-5 weeks completely without exercise. The crazy thing though, and I think what you're actually looking to discuss, has been the lingering symptoms/issues that followed.

General inflammatory symptoms stuck around for a loooong time. Unusual fatigue, headaches, seasonal allergies that I've never had, arthritic-type pain in fingers and toes, numbness and tingling in the extremities, lots of canker sores. Probably more I can't remember anymore. Basically a whole host of issues that pointed to a whole-body inflammatory condition.

I've tried to get back in to training slowly and surely three times now. First one was too early and didn't go well. Second attempt was better, but as soon as I thought I was past it all I let my diet and sleep slip a little and it all came rushing back. Took two more weeks totally off. Third attempt now is going quite well and I would say I feel fully healthy for the first time since February.

I've done two things -

1. Training based entirely on HR. I'm up to a decent volume but it is all very easy and very slow. Under ~70% HRMax running and lower on the bike. My pace is slowly trending towards where it used to be at that HR anyway

2. Very, very clean diet (to my definition at least). Huge quantities of vegetables. Largest source of calories has been olive and avocado oils. Also eat some amounts of fruit, grass-fed/organic meat, fish, avocados, sweet potatoes, coconut oil, eggs. Absolutely zero sugar, zero grains, zero processed anything, zero industrial oils, zero alcohol.

And finally after five months or whatever that seems to be the answer, for now anyway. Don't see any need to stray from that formula for quite some time either.

Curious to hear if any of that resonates with you

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: Post COVID training [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's my story, and question. Late February, Thursday night, was at my daughter's basketball game, felt like crap, and texted my coach that i wouldnt be swimming at 6 am on Friday morning. I had a cough for a few weeks, post nasal drip, which i get 2x a year generally.

Woke up Friday, went to work. Saturday morning, got up, flew to California, and spent a week in a house with 20 people biking. Still had the cough, but other than that one night, never felt feverish.

After return in early March, worked for a week and everything shut down.

About a week or two later, was eating sushi for lunch and realized "I cant taste this." I also realized spots on my trunk (looked like chicken pox). never got tested for Covid, because at this point was quarantined at home, and wasnt going anywhere, and never had respiratory or other issues. Taste came back, spots went away.

In June, my wife, son and I all tested positive for antibodies. We all had varying mild symptoms. Son had a fever for a few days and lost taste or smell, wife had fever that spiked every night for a week, and respiratory issues, but nothing serious enough for medical intervention. My daughter (same blood type as me) no symptoms, and tested negative for antibodies.

So, my training never suffered or change. But here is my question.

In the last few weeks, i have been smelling what seems like sulfur/rotten eggs/death, and no one else does. I googled and it might be phantosmia, smelling things with arent there, which is apparently related to Covid. I found a link where others have described exactly what I have been smelling. in the convertible the other day, with wife and son, I smelled it and said does anyone else smell that, and my son said "that sulfur smell?" - my wife didnt.

I have also read that those with the loss of taste and smell has lesser respiratory symptom.

is anyone else who had or think they had covid having these smelling issues? Any suggestions or treatment? All i have seen is "its too early" and "it should go away"

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Post COVID training [stuckinnj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a fairly bad bout with Covid. A clot, high fever, coughing, blisters on my lips and mouth, loss of taste, etc. Obviously it was a serious disruption. It took a while to get back and when I did aerobic fitness was also hard to get back, fatigue lingered and mentally things were just tough. I just didn't feel sharp for a while. I've dealt quite well with bipoler 1 for a decade without any major issues thanks to medication, but for the first time in all of those years I felt mental swings again. It took months for that to normalize. There is good evidence that this attacks the brain as well, whether that is due to hypoxia or what not; again strong evidence indicating those with severe infections are more likely to manifest major depressive symptoms.

To your question about smells, I too have had some oddness once it return. I started noticing burning smells everywhere, but nothing was ever burning. It is weird and still comes and goes. I don't know what to say about it other than it is unnerving.
Quote Reply
Re: Post COVID training [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So sorry to hear that each of you had to undergo something so traumatic. I wish all of you the best in your recovery and attempt to regain fitness.
Quote Reply
Re: Post COVID training [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also had the burning smell sensations, but that was only for a week or a bit more back when I was actually sick. And this was before the effects on smell and taste were known or hit the news. Couldn't figure it out for a little while but make a lot more sense in retrospect.

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: Post COVID training [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
So sorry to hear that each of you had to undergo something so traumatic. I wish all of you the best in your recovery and attempt to regain fitness.

x2

and thanks for sharing this stuff publicly.
Quote Reply